Looking for a replacement for Firefox

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ITSMERSH

Looking for a replacement for Firefox

#1 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

I'm using Firefox most of all since my first days on the forum. But now I'm tired of Firefox which seems to become crap more and more each day / each update.

Is there another browser that is able to play audio/video without the hassle to install pulse audio etc?

The browser should be able to add plugins etc. to download videos from Youtube, as I prefer to watch them offline. I need audio only for videos embedded into web sites.

Thanks.

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Thats exactly the reason why I don't update.
Nothing wrong with FireFox27 after more than 3 years.
When at Youtube "no thanks" and it will still run. Select your video and RIGHT-click on it while playing. Save videoplayback without an extension to where you want it. Then change the name, with mp4 after the dot.

If curious, here's a link.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Puppyt

#3 Post by Puppyt »

Yeah I'm with you regarding FF's "evolution" - was a diehard early-adopter back in the day, now using Palemoon for most browsing, happy too with Vivaldi. I generally avoid Chrome-type browsers (Chromium, Iron etc) that give me similar dramas as recent FF versions. I don't keep loyalty with browsers now, rather persevere with PulseAudio etc I choose to be a quick-dropper...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Terry H

#4 Post by Terry H »

8Geee wrote:Thats exactly the reason why I don't update.
Nothing wrong with FireFox27 after more than 3 years.
When at Youtube "no thanks" and it will still run. Select your video and RIGHT-click on it while playing. Save videoplayback without an extension to where you want it. Then change the name, with mp4 after the dot.

If curious, here's a link.

Regards
8Geee
I'd previously seen that you and some others are using older firefox versions. So thought I'd check it out. I extracted and manually installed in Stretch Pup RC2, worked well with all pages I have viewed rendered well. No out of date messages so far. So very pleased with how it is functioning in stretch pup. Now to try it in the latest RC3.

I also tried it on tazpup beta 1, just to see if it will run. Manually extractd and installed. It runs, however for some reason it is freezing intermittently, sometimes after a few second, sometimes after several minutes. There doesn't seem to be any particular action or page which causes this, just very random.

So thanks 8gee for sharing this firefox version. I'll continue to use this browser version.

watchdog

Re: Different browsers than Firefox

#5 Post by watchdog »

ITSMERSH wrote: Is there another browser that is able to play audio/video without the hassle to install pulse audio etc?
Palemoon 27.9.4 is the easy alternative. It's my main browser.

J_D_

#6 Post by J_D_ »

Palemoon works but for some reason it will no longer access Yahoo mail.(Tahrpup 64 bit) I have an older version on another laptop that still works very well.

ITSMERSH

#7 Post by ITSMERSH »

@all

Thanks for the replies.

Will test some. Already downloaded Firefox 27 for testings.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

Palemoon browser.
It is developed by people that did work for Firefox, but did not like what Firefox was doing.
It can use some Firefox add-ons and it has some of it's own.
I have used it for a long time and done about 9 updates to it.
Never given me any problems doing anything on the Internet.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

Just wondering how all the checking/testing with alternatives is going/has gone.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

nosystemdthanks

#10 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hyperbola has one called iceweasel-uxp which is completely unique and worth looking into.

i keep meaning to try it, im mostly using icecat at the moment.

im guessing it has the same audio issues as most of the other browsers in the same family at this point.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]