Hate Windows Love Puppy

Promote Puppy !
bigpup

Hate Windows Love Puppy

#1 Post by bigpup »

I have Windows 10 on my computer.
I have not booted Windows 10 for about 3 months.
Today I booted Windows 10.

About 2 hours later it stopped downloading and installing updates. :shock: :roll:

Did about 8 different updates to programs and Windows core files/programs.

Had to reboot 3 times. :roll:

The last time I did any updates to the main Puppy I use, it took all of 1 minute.
That was a update to the Palemoon browser, and I did not see a real reason to even update it.
It was working fine for me.
I know, security issues, maybe!

Most of those Window 10 updates were bigger in size than Puppy. :!: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#2 Post by nic007 »

You can stop the updates by disabling it in msconfig (somewhere, can't remember if in eventsmanager or wherever). I did that when I still had windows 10 but I deleted that system because it was to heavy for my machine. I re-installed windows xp pro instead.

spiritwild

#3 Post by spiritwild »

I still have windows on a separate partition. Had to load it the other day for the wifes ipad issues. Gawwwwwwwd!!!!!

Only took half hour to install and load Itunes. Then I had umpteen software update requests. Java, can't just have the java update, have to select no to the wonderful add on programs. Scottie the registry watch dog was barking like mad. (loved that little program).

While I waited, I went to a movie site I frequent. I don't have quite the same security as linux so there were a gazillion pop ups wanting me to install java. Not the real java mind you, the java that installs the add ons which proceed to change the registry, default home page and other fun filled adventures.

I just got the hell out of dodge. Sometimes I forget the true reason I switched to Linux but I'm usually quickly reminded.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Windows XP Pro still master of all imho. There are things that are just better with Windows, like the sound for example. I was quite shocked how much better after working with windows again after a long time (compared to puppy). As for updates and stuff - all of that can be disabled, you just need to know where to look. Having said that, Puppy is still excellent.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

nic007 wrote:I re-installed windows xp pro instead.
I too have XP pro.
Any suggestions/instructions on how to install Thunderbird there?
e.g. Where to get the means of installation [exe file?][found 31.4.0]
Might I download the exe [to the XP partition] whilst within Puppy? [downloaded to sda1]

Virgin tech assist are trying to use "logmeinrescue" to fix my email [pop3 to fetch, smtp to send].
My SMM/TB emails are set up in Puppy, but they cant use "logmeinrescue" there. [Didn't run in WINE]
They can use "logmeinrescue" in XP, but email [TB] not set up there [yet].

I think the passwords have been changed at the servers, so email no longer functions.

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

Sylvander wrote:
nic007 wrote:I re-installed windows xp pro instead.
I too have XP pro.
Any suggestions/instructions on how to install Thunderbird there?
e.g. Where to get the means of installation [exe file?][found 31.4.0]
Might I download the exe [to the XP partition] whilst within Puppy? [downloaded to sda1]

Virgin tech assist are trying to use "logmeinrescue" to fix my email [pop3 to fetch, smtp to send].
My SMM/TB emails are set up in Puppy, but they cant use "logmeinrescue" there. [Didn't run in WINE]
They can use "logmeinrescue" in XP, but email [TB] not set up there [yet].

I think the passwords have been changed at the servers, so email no longer functions.
Hi Sylvander. Never used thunderbird. I use gmail. Have you tried installing the Seamonkey Suite (email client included) Windows version instead? I used to have it before and it worked well for me. These days I have Palemoon as my Windows browser. I always download the full install package first instead of using these online install methods. Yes, you can download the full install package whilst browsing with Linux, just install it running Windows.

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

nic007 wrote:...Have you tried installing the Seamonkey Suite (email client included) Windows version instead?.
No, haven't tried that.
Don't want to lose all the saved stuff I have in TB, so I'll try installing TB in Windows and see if Virgin tech assist can use that to fix things.

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

Regards adding a specific driver. My printer (the specific model) does not have a linux driver but the next series of the printer does have so may work. This generic linux driver can be downloaded. My question is, how do I install this in a specific puppy version. I need to re-compile the kernel?

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

1. Email problems now solved. :D

a. Virgin tech assist [VTA] helped me change the password on my pop3 accounts.
He said that would also fix any problem with smtp sending, BUT...
The first account I tried to send with failed [trying but paused]...
So I specified the new password, and it sent OK right then.
Then when I tried to send using my 2nd smtp account it sent just fine.

b. We told VTA to delete my wifes old/unused POP3 account, which he says may take 30 days to take effect.

c. My wifes [new] IMAP fetching server and smtp sending server [from within Android on her tablet] were also failing, so she was told by VTA to specify the [same] password as for the POP3 accounts, which she did.
VTA says this will take 1 day to take effect.

2. I tried installing both ext2fsd driver and Thunderbird within XP.
I saw no sign of ext2fsd functioning, although it showed on the menu.
Thunderbird ran and asked to be set up.
I told Toolwiz TimeFreeze to not save the changes, and they were gone.

Sailor Enceladus

#10 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I've been happily Windows-free since around 2013. Recently I've been researching getting a cell phone though, my last one was a flip-phone that was around $20/month for 100 minutes and 100 text messages maybe until 2014. Apparently it costs the same to get a smartphone or flipphone for $25/month with a similar plan and the phone is free... after hearing about my sister and parents stories about smartphone updates always borking everything (especially on iphone) I'm thinking a flipphone would be simpler and without as much headaches, and maybe the battery would last longer, I hate touchscreens and never owned a smartphone. Ehhh...

Pelo

never i would have tried Puppy

#11 Post by Pelo »

if Windows would not have been so slow, And Linux so boring, never i would have tried Puppy (toutou) 4.3.1, my first love story. (coup de coeur, love story is too much) smiley :) explains better. However it's hard to enter into vacuum US area. Our devs and french teachers went away as did the spanish ones, last years (Jejy69, ASRIedu, esmourguit perhaps)
In France you can still phone to Windows to get help (if French). For Puppy we had Medor (not by phone, but on the forum). Where is he ?

Puppy install ? downloading ISO is the longer (3mns) plus plug an Usb (10 seconds) Transfer ISO files (hum 1 mn maxi), grub4dos (1mn)
reboot.. Puppy is not Slow !
What i don't understand is why they are thousands of pages for install..
5 minutes by Pelo, a newbie from nowhere.. That is strange.

Moose On The Loose

#12 Post by Moose On The Loose »

nic007 wrote:Windows XP Pro still master of all imho. There are things that are just better with Windows, like the sound for example. I was quite shocked how much better after working with windows again after a long time (compared to puppy). As for updates and stuff - all of that can be disabled, you just need to know where to look. Having said that, Puppy is still excellent.
At home, my most up to date version of Windows is Windows-98. I skipped over Win-95. Back when I installed Win-98, I pointed out that it could greatly increase productivity because I could have 2 DOS windows going at the same time. It was from Win-98 that I went to using SUSE and then eventually to puppy. It brings back "fond" memories of the attempt at work to get me to switch to XP when I see people saying it was great. It could be made to work but the DOS built into it had some fairly serious bugs. Several of my batch files needed to be edited to get them to work with XP.

Just today, I was editing some of those same batch files to make them work better under dosemu. The reason for bothering is too complicated to explain but comes under the heading of not stranding old projects.

8Geee

#13 Post by 8Geee »

@Pelo

Its not the download speed... its the upload speed, which is like a turtle in the USA.
Most providers do not allow a QoS change to make the upload more like a rabbit for a short time.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

rufwoof

#14 Post by rufwoof »

8Geee wrote:Its not the download speed... its the upload speed, which is like a turtle in the USA.
Most providers do not allow a QoS change to make the upload more like a rabbit for a short time.
Can be the same here in the UK, for instance a quick speed test of my link shows 74.02 Mb/s download 7.11 Mb/s upload speeds, which with my provider are fixed asymetric speeds i.e. set to faster download speeds than upload speeds.

tallboy

#15 Post by tallboy »

Your mouse has been moved.
Windows will now restart so this change can take effect!
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Pelo

8geee, upload speed is like a turtle in France too

#16 Post by Pelo »

8geee, upload speed is like a turtle in France too. That is one of the reasons why i don't Pupplish (publish ! ) my puplets. But only some pets.

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

tallboy wrote:Your mouse has been moved.
Windows will now restart so this change can take effect!
^^^ :lol: :lol:

.....or (as I saw somewhere the other day):-

"Your keyboard has stopped responding. Please press any key to restart....."

Typical MyCrudSoft tact!

Mike. :wink:

prehistoric

M$ killing W7 and W8

#18 Post by prehistoric »

Remember how one draw for using a M$ system in a business was the stability it offers, (at least if you buy the Professional version.) I have been helping close friends who are tied to such machines at work with their home machines, but I drew the line at W10.

(My original concern was the "telemetry" which collected keystrokes, and changes to licensing which allowed them to do this and a range of other things to people dependent on their good will.)

One of these people attempted to upgrade a W7 Pro machine I had built to W10.

(He felt this machine was not ready for the scrap heap because it had a quad-core processor and 32 GB. of RAM, a substantial capital investment at the time. This was more memory than the video editing workstation he had at work. He could have used more cores, but the limitation on RAM was more important to him. I've offered to upgrade his graphics adapter several times, but he is happy with what he has even if it is slow on the latest games. He isn't interested in playing games, and he doesn't want the problems that go with the high-performance card he uses at work. He has literally spent days on the phone with the supplier.)

After about 5 hours on the phone with (real) official M$ support in India they gave up and gave him a free copy of W7 Ultimate to use. He then spent hours downloading and installing this and various drivers.

I might have been able to get around the new problems with W10, had I been willing, but it appears that you can't simply put W10 on a homebuilt Windows machine without information requiring you sign an NDA. M$ only wants to work with big companies that sign other contracts with them. This is in addition to all the new information they gain free from users of W10. They appear to want every part of their business to be a profit center, regardless of what they promised earlier.

It goes almost without saying that I had little trouble putting several versions of Linux on that platform, so there should not have been major compatibility issues.

Now we learn something I had suspected, but could not confirm. M$ isn't patching major vulnerabilities in W7 and W8 systems, even though the Professional versions of these are said to be supported until 2020.

Large numbers of W7 users have been quite happy with what they have, and unwilling to move on to the next level of the upgrade treadmill. They are now getting a lesson in corporate leverage, not to say extortion.

Ah, I hear you say, Linux is having trouble with serious kernel-level vulnerabilities too. I've already been able to simply replace the kernel in my system, and even compiled my own device drivers. I've also upgraded multiple browsers I use in the past few days without having to commit to a new OS, as with Edge. I also keep multiple browsers current, in case there is a sudden need to change. In the worst case, I can simply disable new OS features that bring vulnerabilities with them, and I am right back to where I was a couple years ago without any new puzzles to solve. At my age this is reassuring. :wink:

ahoppin

#19 Post by ahoppin »

Microsoft's insistence on controlling machines we own actually started with XP. I kept on using Win98 and Win2K when XP came out with that obnoxious EULA.

Even today, a few XP and later programs will still run on Win2K, but most of those will also play nice with Wine.

I finally graduated to Puppy around 6-7 years ago. It does almost everything I need to do, and that includes more than the standard web, email, office stuff. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get there than it did with Windows, now and then a LOT more, but I just consider that a learning experience.

I do have a weary old laptop with XP, and another, somewhat newer, with Win 7. Bought both used, so I personally never agreed to anything with MS. I use one or the other for those rare situations (a few times a year) in which Wine falls on its face and there's no suitable Linux application.

I won't let either Win laptop have anything to do with Redmond. The older one has no built-in wifi card, and the newer one has a hardware switch for wifi and bt. I shuttle files to and from them via usb stick sneakernet. They never download anything, and since they're never on the net they don't need security updates anyway. Take that, Bill Gates.

Doesn't this tinfoil hat make me look stylish? :)

hamoudoudou

Windows tries to secure things,

#20 Post by hamoudoudou »

Your boss provides OS, and specialized software to help you for management. I practiced Windows NT, 2000, XP at the office. Sure when you are back at home, Puppy 4.3.1 was fun, even if nervous breakdown sometimes loosing time connecting the web.
Windows Xp was slow, but my time was paid, whatever i do.. Not the same at home time is gold.. Linux if free, but our pleasure is essential. Sure when you read fora, it seems that Puppy Linux makes lot of trouble..But it's only because people don't post if no trouble, or give up if not working at first boot.

Windows tries to secure things, for people having paid a support with the CD.. Puppy Linux enters everywhere.. Windows tries to stop it. Normal..
Unfortunately people who love PUPPY are 200,000 And windows is used by all others 1,000,000,000 (more). Used, nobody likes Windows.
People using Puppy as a training OS for their experiments don't like Puppy, they like experiments..