Playing and/or converting .webm videos

Using applications, configuring, problems
musher0

#31 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for the info, OscarTalks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

slavvo67

#32 Post by slavvo67 »

I added a dependency called libvpx3_1.5.0-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb somewhere along the line. I think it was either so VLC could play Webm or Mplayer (or both). I just can't recall. You should be able to find it with a websearch. I'll search it out of my libraries if need be.

rockedge

#33 Post by rockedge »

I use openshot to create webm video from mpeg avi shot by my drones.
I use this in Tahr 32 64 Xenial 32 64 but not Bionic I have been having issues getting an openshot instance to run under it

all these OS listed above open vlc and play the webm I only use webm to embed them using wordpress sites.

I can use openshot to convert to and from webm. I also use the static builds of FFMPEG which run great on most puppies.

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ mikeslr:-
mikeslr wrote:The first thing I discovered is that although webm videos on youtube are easy to find --just plug webm into the youtube's search box-- Google-Chrome won't let you download them.
Been the case for a long time, Mike. YouTube is part of Google; purchased by them back around 2006/7, I believe. Google don't want you downloading videos from YouTube, and playing them at your convenience, on the software of your choice. They want you to use the web technologies they've built-in to Chrome to consume the site's content. And, of course, it all helps to boost the number of 'hits' for YouTube, and the usage stats for the Chrome browser.

And that's why they've carefully made sure you will not find one single video downloader in the Google App Store capable of downloading YouTube videos or music.....they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. Think about it.

It's all part of 'Big Brother' Google's plan for ultimate world domination, mate! :lol:

Mike. :wink:

B.K. Johnson

#35 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hi All
I'm coming in on this late and probably missed some of the nuances in the thread. However, here is my experience FWIW.

My standard setup was tahr-6.0.6, VDH-6.x, Firefox pre Quantum. I reluctantly upgraded to Quantum 6.0.1, then VDH 7.3.4, and CoApp 1.2.3. I was unable to save downloads from Jazz on the Tube whether they were webM, mkv, or mp4. Updated VDH 7.3.5 and to VhdCoApp 1.2.4 but still no success. VDH support is at Google Groups and I don't do Google anything.

Up until yesterday, I had installed and have working tahr-6.0.2, with Firefox-6.0.1, VDH 7.3.5, and VdhCoApp 1.2.3. I was able to save webM, mp4, mkv and convert them to mp4 and mp3 from within VDH using VdhCoApp. Last night, I was required to update to VdhCoApp-1.2.4-1_i386. Chose the tar.gz system-wide install. Done successfully. All is working well.

Confirming that neither VLC (2.1.6), nor DeaDBeef on tahr-6.0.2 play webm files.

mpv included in stretch 7.0.0a1 plays webm files but I don't like the program. I don't intend switching between tahr and stretch just to play the downloads with mpv, so unless or until there is a vlc pet/sfs, I'll continue with Vdh-7.3.5 to download, and convert.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

nic007

#36 Post by nic007 »

Just a note: If you are running a new browser, you should be able to view VP9 (webm) videos. I downloaded a VP9 file and found that I could not view it with the VLC version 2 that comes with Tahr (it only plays VP8 webm files). However, the file plays fine when opened from my new Seamonkey browser. The browser's zoom function also works well to resize the video.

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Just as a side-note to all this, and bearing in mind that Tahr uses avconv in place of ffmpeg, I've done the following on my Tahr 6.0.6 setup:-

Tahr does have ffmpeg.....but it's merely a sym-link to avconv. I've reversed the process.

I've deleted avconv, and the ffmpeg sym-link. In their place, I've used a fairly new build of ffmpeg, which Fredx181 sourced when wiak was building/tweaking WeX last year, and which was incorporated into the all-in-one 'portable' version of WeX that Fred put together afterwards. The modern build of ffmpeg, @ 30 MB, accounted for the majority of WeX-portable's size.

I then created an 'avconv' sym-link to ffmpeg, so if any of the built-in Tahrpup apps go looking for avconv, they'll actually be using ffmpeg instead.

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/bin/ffmpeg /usr/lib/avconv
So far, during testing various things, Tahrpup doesn't seem to be in the least bit perturbed at being re-directed. Apparently, it's finding a 'matching set' of everything it expects to find.....and appears to be quite happy.

If anybody wants to try this in 32-bit Tahrpup 602/605/606, you can find a copy of the ffmpeg-3.1.2-i686 .pet package here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDqa2P ... sp=sharing

This will overwrite the sym-link with an actual build of ffmpeg. Then, delete avconv, and create a sym-link called 'avconv' pointing to ffmpeg instead.

Mike. :wink: