Safely shrink partition loaded with Windoze? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
a_salty_dogg

Safely shrink partition loaded with Windoze? (Solved)

#1 Post by a_salty_dogg »

(Hopefully) simple newbie question from one who knows little to nothing of 21st century computerology...
Can I shrink sda2 (as shown in screenshot below) by 100 GB then use the space freed to create an .ext partition, with a reasonable expectation of the Windoze 7 Pro installation still being viable should I ever want to boot it up, given that, from what I hear, Win 7 is the last usable beast from that evil profiteering Yanqui stable?
Does such an OS spread right across the partition or remain at the front as implied by the Gparted graphic?
Or would I be wiser firstly to copy over the contents to somewhere else, or even look for an app to clone the partition? (e.g. Think I've got an old Clonezilla CD lying around somewhere.)
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
gparted.jpg
(59.8 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by a_salty_dogg on Thu 16 Aug 2018, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

To keep Windows 7 happy.
It would be best to do this in Windows 7.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 09169.aspx
After you end up with an unallocated space on the drive.

Gparted should be able to partition and do an ext format to that unallocated space.

You should be able to make a primary partition as sda4.
Because you did not make the partitions in order.
They may be listed as sda1, sda2, sda4, sda3.
But that will not affect how they work.

Windows 7 may or may not be able to see the partition formatted in an ext format.
Puppy will see it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

peterw

Use Windows to shrink partition

#3 Post by peterw »

Agree with Bigpup, it is quick and easy to shrink Partition in Windows. Gparted will do it although in my experience it is slower.
You can then format and install Linux on that new partition from a USB stick.

This is unlikely to happen to you but is worth telling the story. As it so happens, my grandson, was doing this last weekend on a Lenovo laptop. He could boot into any of the Live Linus Distros but they could not detect the SSD. On looking at it I found that in the BIOS the SSD was set to a RAID system but it needed to be in AHCI and on switching this around Windows 10 could not boot because it only had the RAID drivers set up. There were various remedies such as altering the registry settings to force Windows to load the drivers. In fact it was easier to reinstall Windows and that set up the AHCI drivers and did not touch the EXT4 partition. It was then easy to install Linux on that partition and that used the GRUB2 boot loader which had the Windows and the Linux options.

a_salty_dogg

#4 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Many thanks bigpup and peterw; I'll do it that way in two stages.
Not in the least bothered if the new partition displays out of sequence; will show as the "active" partition anyhow after boot.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi a_salty_dogg,

bigpup +2.

That's how I did it a couple of weeks ago. Linux sees the new partition as sda4 with desktop drive icons in numeric order. Windows doesn't see it at all. [I didn't install a program which would allow Windows 7 to access Linux Formatted drives]. IIRC, the first time I booted into Windows after reducing sda2 it ran a "systems check" before reaching desktop. So don't panic if Windows takes some time to boot to desktop after you've curtailed its domain.

mikesLr

a_salty_dogg

#6 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Thanks Mike,
All sorted now, actually posting this from Xenial, folder copied to that partitiion & grub4dos installed on sda1.
As you say, sda4 shows in correct sequence here too!
Think this is the first time I've ever booted a Puppy from internal hard drive, old dogg new tricks!

I remember the problem from when I occasionally still used to run Windoze (XP) in conjuction with Puppy was that Herr Gates insisted that any USB drives still plugged in (which contained any .ext formatted data?) needed "error checking" during boot. Never trusted him enough to let him but you had to be quick to decline his "kind offer"! :wink:

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Just as an addition.
It is ALWAYS better to adjust partition sizes from within any OS that lives on that partition whether it be Windows, Linux, Mac or whatever.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett