How to read LS-120 SuperDisk?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
lmart

#31 Post by lmart »

bigpup wrote:Have the drive plugged in when you boot up the Live CD.
When you get to a working desktop.
Insert a LS-120 disk into drive.
Hopefully a drive icon will show on desktop for the drive. It will be identified with a name.

Start the program Gparted and select the LS-120 drive as the device to look at.
Hopefully it will show what the format of the disk is.
If it does show the disk format.
What is it?
Thanks,

Yes - Have the drive plugged in when you boot up the Live CD.
Yes - When you get to a working desktop, insert a LS-120 disk into drive. Unwrapped a new disk and inserted into drive.
No - Hopefully a drive icon will show on desktop for the drive. It will be identified with a name.

Gparted cannot find - Start the program Gparted and select the LS-120 drive as the device to look at.
Unable to determine disk format

lsusb identifies the device

? next steps ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

A new disk is probably not formatted. In other words, it has no filesystem for either Gparted or Puppy Linux to recognize. What happens if you put one of the disks that you know contains something in the drive? What do Gparted or Puppy say then?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#33 Post by Flash »

lmart wrote:...I make a point of replying to each and every post. However, several of my replies to posts are not showing...
Try it again. You can go back and edit your posts.

lmart

#34 Post by lmart »

Thanks, Flash.

#1 The LS-120 disk is formatted by Imation. Secondly, every disk inserted into the drive behaves the same; they hang.
This makes me wonder; if lsusb recognizes the device, perhaps the appropriate driver(s) are not installed, for both the E-USB device and the drive. If all appropriate drivers installed, then it seems to be a matter of properly mounting the drive, then see if it is possible to r/w.

#2, I tried to edit my posts ... but they are not there. No idea what happened.