Puppy CD won't boot (Solved: bad CD-RW)

Booting, installing, newbie
aussie

CD problems

#16 Post by aussie »

As you have tried most options, may I suggest you burn an ISO using a different brand of CD-R. I have had trouble booting up Puppy using a particular brand of CD, changing to a different brand fixed the problem, the make of CD I had problems with was Verbatim.

It's worth a try.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

marksouth2000

Re: Status Update

#17 Post by marksouth2000 »

Ihatewindowsxp wrote:I'm wondering if I remove the other drive (oh, BTW my Master drive is an LGB GCC-4521B and my secondary is a Plextor PLexwriter PX-W4012TA) if that might resolve the problem. I don't see any of my hardware shouldn't be compatible for Linux.
The latter is unlikely. Since we are at the fiddling-with-hardware stage now, please could you check the jumpers on your drives? Linux tends to be sensitive to jumper settings on drives.

Ideally, you should set up the CD so as to to boot from the first drive on the secondary IDE channel.

Ihatewindowsxp

#18 Post by Ihatewindowsxp »

Ok, I will give that a try. I burned the ISO onto an old Memorex CD/RW that I'd used many many times before. Maybe that was the issue. I will try and let you know.

Also on the same subject I used the latest version of "BurnCDCC" to burn my ISO. What settings should I use to ensure the best possible copy?

Thanks to all the forum members who are helping me!

Ihatewindowsxp

Update on My Situation

#19 Post by Ihatewindowsxp »

Ok, thanks to the poster that suggested burning the iso onto a different brand of CD-R. It worked great! I got to play with Puppy and I love it! I need one more thing to be fully functional. I connect to the internet via DSL using a USB IAD LAN Modem. How do I set that up?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

It's great that you figured out why Puppy wouldn't boot. Can you please tell us the exact brand, etc., of CDs that did and didn't work? That would make the forum ever so much more useful to prospective Puppy users.

Also, you'll find that the forum works much better for you if you start a new thread for your modem question. :)

Ihatewindowsxp

#21 Post by Ihatewindowsxp »

First I tried a Memorex CD/RW that had been used before. I think it may have been bad.

The 2nd time I used a Verbatium CD-R. It worked just fine.

aussie

Re: Update on My Situation

#22 Post by aussie »

Ihatewindowsxp wrote:Ok, thanks to the poster that suggested burning the iso onto a different brand of CD-R.
It was I who suggested the above, I noticed that you used the Verbatim brand CD-R to get you up and running, for me that brand only works on one of my three PC's, the Sony brand CD-R, works on all three machines, so it is really a trial and error situation. Using a fresh CD to burn iso's would always be wise, else one tends to get bogged down as in your case, with a lot well-meaning technical advice. :wink:
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

Dougal

#23 Post by Dougal »

I've had better experience with no-name cd-r's than with brand-name ones...

I used to buy packs of 50 cheap cd-r's on-a-stick and had 100% success with them, then once I bought some fancy Phillips cd-r's and quite a few failed...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind