Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 18 Nov 2018, 23:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
teamviever 13 on tahrpup 6.0.5
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
f.gruber

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 16:06    Post subject:  teamviever 13 on tahrpup 6.0.5  

Hi,

how can I get teamviewer 13 to work in tahrpup?

Thank you for hints.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 16:36    Post subject:  

Hallo, Ferdinand.

Short answer? I don't think it's going to happen.

I was the one who put together the last few TV11 and TV12 packages. Up until TV12, it consisted of the Windows package, running under a self-contained version of WINE 1.6, all wrapped up together for the Linux package.

With TV13, the TeamViewer devs have switched to Qt5. Qt5 is, putting it bluntly, enormous. It's bigger than your Puppy is. To load all that for the sake of one, relatively small package seems, frankly, ludicrous in the extreme.

I have got it packaged up to the point where it will run with just certain Qt5 components. But the GUI itself resolutely refuses to run. Without that, it's pretty useless. And the terminal gives no clues whatsoever.

It's a bit of a sore point with me ATM.....!! Evil or Very Mad

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 17:05    Post subject: Try teamviewer 13 portable under Wine  

Hi f.gruber,

I haven't tried this because I wouldn't know what to do with it. But after Mike Walsh's post, I wondered if it would run under Wine. So I googled "winehq teamviewer" and was surprised to find that it now had a platinum (best) rating (previous was bronze = garbage). https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5956

When possible, I prefer to run window-portables rather than installables: (a) portables don't write to the registry, which means if a program doesn't work it has to be uninstalled and I'm not sure that Wine is as up to the task as Windows about which I already have doubts; (b) portables are self-contained --packaged to include everything needed-- and my experience has been they are more likely to run under Wine than installables. To get rid of a no-functioning portable, just delete its folder.

You'll find links to Teamviewer 13.2.14327 portable here: https://teamviewer.en.lo4d.com/download
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 18:42    Post subject:  

Hallo, Mike!

D'you know, you've solved my personal dilemna. Though it doesn't get me any closer to figuring out why my TV13 package for Puppy won't 'show its face', as it were...

I don't know why I never thought of running TeamViewer under WINE! It's how the Linux packages have run for years, after all.

I've got both versions (standard & portable) running here in Slacko 560 under version2013's WINE 1.7.51. Curious that TeamViewer are still building the thing for XP.....4½ years after EOL.

Both run perfectly, though, for some odd reason, the 'portable' version is labelled as '*Trial* (expired)'... (???) Who knows? Laughing

I still prefer to build packages for Puppy which install with a single-click, and take a second click to get 'em running. Not everybody is enamoured of WINE, are they? Some individuals I've read on here actively despise it, and refuse to have anything to do with it...

Their loss.

Cheers!

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2018, 19:18    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Glad it works and that I could help. I share your preferences, recognizing them as a preferences which are secondary to two objectives: actually getting something I want to function Idea and personally having to do as little work as possible. Laughing

'tother Mike

@ f.gruber,

If you decide to go that route, don't hesitate to ask how to set up wine. If you're at all concerned about the "*Trial* (expired)'... (???)" of the portable version, I'd recommend Wine-portable, especially if you use a SaveFile rather than a SaveFolder. Wine-portable will reside outside of your SaveFile.
f.gruber

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 10:22    Post subject:  

Thank you for your posts.

At the moment I will not pursue this idea any further. It obviously does not make much sense to install that qt5 libraries under puppy linux.
May be in the future I will deal with Anydesk, with I read about recently.

Pro

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 20:05    Post subject:  

Teamviewer 13 not start GUI without session manager

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/Not-start-GUI/td-p/41631
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug 2018, 21:23    Post subject:  

Pro wrote:
Teamviewer 13 not start GUI without session manager

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/Not-start-GUI/td-p/41631

Thanks for that, pro. For some stupid reason, Teamviewer won't allow me to access their forums, so I couldn't find this myself. However, the page you linked opens fine.....

This may well get me a step closer to a Puppy TV13 package.....for real. Looks like there's only a handful of Qt5 components actually needed;

Qt5core5a
Qt5Dbus
Qt5Gui
Qt5Network, &
Qt5Widgets.

Plus libxcb-xinerama, to handle the 'can't load xcb plugin' issue.....and something called libdouble-conversion.

Cheers! It'll give me summat to do tomorrow.....

Mike. Wink

Pro

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug 2018, 00:21    Post subject:  

i tested on my "portable" module for x32
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3ycy/2JmDQQPkF

rename pfs to sfs and look to the module.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Network
Jump to: