Zoom - video chat software

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ozsouth

#21 Post by ozsouth »

Gordie wrote: Here is an already compiled program. Just download and install the .txz
https://packages.slackonly.com/pub/pack ... oom-linux/
With this package, ScPup64 20.01 is missing libxcb-image & Slacko64-6.9.9.9 is missing both that and libxcb-xtest.
.pets for these below. Install by clicking on them in ROX-Filer.
Attachments
xcb-image64s.pet
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
xcb-xtest64s.pet
(2.37 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

vtpup

#22 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Mike,

don't mean to clutter up this zoom thread, w/wine probs, just want to clarify:
I don't think I've ever used 64-bit WINE in my life.....and from what I hear, it doesn't function all that well, partly due to the 'inversion' of what you'd expect in the Windows SysWOW64 directories.
BionicPup's Quickpet loads as standard a 64 bit version of Wine 3.x, I believe...
You are aware, I take it, that 'regular', 32-bit WINE functions fine so long as you load the 32-bit compat_libs SFS package first, yes?
I did try that first, but couldn't get Wine 1.5.9 ver2 .pet to run anything on BP64 -- here's a simple program Convert.exe output:

Code: Select all

root# wine Convert.exe
err:menubuilder:init_xdg error looking up the desktop directory
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000004 at address 0x7e8db4ef (thread 0009), starting debugger...
winedbg: Internal crash at 0x7e6e04ef
I use a lot of odds'n'ends from Windoze, and haven't yet found anything that I want to run that doesn't have a 32-bit version..... I was going to try it out, actually, just to prove my point, but I see that

a) It's 64-bit only, and

b) It's a 'paid' app.....you need to purchase it!

No thanks.
If you mean SketchUp, the old Google version was free, 32 bit, and that's the one I use practically daily. It was originally a crippled version with little output capability, but there were plugins that fixed this, before Trimble took it over.

Anyway, still here on Tahrpup, and for the forseeable future. Thanks Mike!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

Geek3579

#23 Post by Geek3579 »

I downloaded the debian (cf Ubuntu ) .deb file from the ZOOM website and installed it on a frugal puppy_bionicpup64_8.0, running on my Ollee ML130 el cheapo laptop.

Ran perfectly first time online, although I had to tweak up the volume controls on the mike - helped by details from a recent forum post. I had no idea you could expand the window of Retrovol to see more options!! I had previously ran Zoom on MX-Linux on the same laptopbut I think that Puppy Linux is marginally faster, and Retrovol gives a number of options to control the volume.

vtpup

#24 Post by vtpup »

Yup aware zoom 64 runs on Bionic 64 bit.

32 bit zoom is the problem.

vtpup

#25 Post by vtpup »

Question...... so if it runs on Bionicpuup64 why doesn't that have the PulseAudio error?

ps just tried Zoom32 on BionicPup32 and won't run.

So that's Tahrpup and Bionicpup32 in the list of non-starters.

Other notes:

In a working Zoom installation in Bionicpup64, there is no /root/.config/zoomus.conf file. So why is 32bit zoom looking for that?

vtpup

#26 Post by vtpup »

I added pulseaudio-4.0-tahr-i686.pet to Tahrpup 6.0.5 and the original pactl error message went away. However there is this:

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

if I run pulseaudio -- start in terminal, I get:

root# pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
If I run with --system command:

root# pulseaudio --system
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set!
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode!
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time!
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to find group 'pulse'.

rockedge

#27 Post by rockedge »

@vtpup

I got zoom to run on Bionic32....if I can re-trace what exactly I did which actually made it work I will immediately share it

I'm not sure the audio is going yet....

Sky Aisling

Zoom - video chat software

#28 Post by Sky Aisling »

Which Puppy will run ZOOM?

Sky

EDIT: 6-5-20 I was able to install ZOOM-5 (the required update issued for May 30, 2020 and beyond) into Bionic Beaver-64 with no issues.

The machine is an HP Pavilion dm1 with AMD E-350 CPU, 4GB of RAM.

The site for the ZOOM-5 Update to ZOOM-3 is here:

https://zoom.us/download?os=linux

Thank you fabrice-035 for your suggestion.
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sat 06 Jun 2020, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#29 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ vtpup:-
vtpup wrote:In a working Zoom installation in Bionicpup64, there is no /root/.config/zoomus.conf file. So why is 32bit zoom looking for that?
Not sure about the 32-bit package, but the 64-bit SFS step has shared for Zoom is running as user spot. You look in /root/spot/.config; you'll find zoomus.conf looking back at you....
rockedge wrote:I got zoom to run on Bionic32....if I can re-trace what exactly I did which actually made it work I will immediately share it
Mm; yes please. If I can see what you've done it should be adaptable for DPup stretch, too....
Sky Aisling wrote:Which Puppy will run ZOOM?
@ Sky:-

ATM, it's only the 64-bit Puppies - Xenialpup64 & Bionicpup64 - which will run step's SFS package. You'll need to fire it up with the 'run-as-spot' command, because FatDog (which the package was built for), automatically runs all Internet/Network progs/apps as 'spot' by default.

I have it running happily in both of the above with the 'run-as-spot' fix.....although, see HERE for the current version (8.5.76.26) running under Xenial64.

Mike. :wink:

Sky Aisling

ZOOM - video chat software

#30 Post by Sky Aisling »

Update 3-28-20
@Mike Walsh
Thank you, Mike for the tips on which Puppy will run ZOOM.

I solved the issue by downloading and putting Fatdog64 on a flash drive using rcrsn51's ISOboot loader.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235
The machine I'm running Fatdog64 on has an AMD processor with 4gigs of RAM. So Fatdog64 seems happy in her new play yard. The Debian 64bit ZOOM download loaded with no issues. Now, I just wait for my group to come on line so I can test and use it. :D

Sky

mikeslr

getting step's SFS to run as Spot under Bionicpup64

#31 Post by mikeslr »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ michel804:-

Take a look at step's Zoom SFS package built for FatDog:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118289

It appears to run fine in Xenialpup64 and Bionicpup64, with a little bit of 'tweaking'. The Qt5 stuff is all built-in, though with Slacko64 you're bound to have a bit more of a lib-chase, I'm afraid; that's a legacy of Slackware's very conservative approach to things. Emphasis supplied....

Mike. :wink:
Oddly, my wife --generally a technophobe-- brought up the subject of zoom. So I sort of followed your instructions. Downloaded step's package --Thanks, step :D -- and SFS-loaded it into Bionicpup64. Of course it didn't run OOTB. Examined /usr/share/applications/zoom.desktop in geany. Exec=zoom-spot %U appearing to be wrong in two respects: both zoom-spot and %U not being understandable commands under Bionicpup64. So I deleted the latter and changed Exec to just =zoom.

Using fredx181's instructions re getting firefox to run as spot [assuming I got both the author and the instruction's correct] I did the following:

1. Opened the hidden file /root/.spot-status in geany and added "zoom=false" to list. Saved edited file. ReStarted-X.
2. Opened Menu>System>Login & Security Manager. Placed a "x" in the newly created zoom check box. Clicked OK.
3. Opened Menu>Setup>Menu Manager & Clicked OK >> just to make sure Menu reflected change in zoom.desktop.
4. Clicked Menu>Network>zoom.

As zoom now opened to a GUI I executed a Save to my SaveFile. That's as far as I've gotten. But I wonder if (a) my above recipe is OK; and (b) some other recipe might not be better.

FYI: /home/spot now has a .zoom folder, and /home/spot/.config has a file, zoomus.conf. The bulk of zoom is in /opt. Starting zoom via terminal reveals "pactl not found" and some other --apparently inconsequential-- errors.

Other consideration: The above recipe for bionicpup64 requires a savefile/folder. If zoom is to be used without one (or equivalent "a"drv) it would probably make sense to rebuild step's package; maybe even moving the bulk of zoom to /home/spot.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-

Your method is one way of doing it, certainly. I've just approached the problem from a different angle, is all....

Created a wee script in /root/my-applications/bin called 'zoom', with the following contents:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start 'Zoom' client
#
run-as-spot /opt/zoom/ZoomLauncher
Then I modified that questionable Exec line in the .desktop file to point to this script, instead. Bob's yr Uncle, job's a good'un. Runs every time.

But I suspect this is probably one of that multitude of apps which in your view (and following your various experiments with same) does not respect the 'spot' limitations. Because I've experimented with recording short sessions, and have found that the 'save' location for these - /root/spot/Downloads/Zoom - will permit me to symlink the 'Zoom' directory out into /root itself, for easier access.

Being a user 'spot' directory, if it was following proper protocol, should it not refuse to allow this? :? (Mind you, I'm not entirely certain how sym-links fit into the 'limited user permissions' scenario of a restricted user like spot... (*shrug*))

--------------------------

(Re; your 'other half' bringing the subject up. Were you aware that Zoom downloads and usage have gone through the roof this last fortnight or so? It's extremely popular ATM, probably due to the fact that alongside Skype itself, it's freely available via the Windows 10 App Store. I only found that out yesterday, because during a lengthy video call with my sister on Skype, she too brought up the subject, and wanted to know where she could find it.

So, I did some quick research.....)

T'other Mike. :wink:

vtpup

#33 Post by vtpup »

Zoom classrooms have taken the place of regular classes at our public schools, here. That's one reason it's so popular. Also, with a 13 year old at home why I wish there was also a workable 32 bit Puppy solution, either Tahrpup or Bionicpup32.

mikeslr

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

I like your recipe better. Fewer steps and once you have one such script in /root/my-applications/bin renaming + editing to run something else as spot is even easier.

As for as maintaining the sanctity of Spot: Frankly, I only brought that up to alert anyone that it wasn't being. Under most circumstances there isn't any need for it; and certainly no reasonable expectation that one's communications over the web are secure OOTB. That's really where being able to frugally run more than one Puppy comes into it's own. If you have a need to protect communication/information one Puppy --perhaps on a USB-Key-- dedicated to that purpose and used when needed is sufficient.

step

#35 Post by step »

Mike Walsh wrote:I've experimented with recording short sessions, and have found that the 'save' location for these - /root/spot/Downloads/Zoom - will permit me to symlink the 'Zoom' directory out into /root itself, for easier access.

Being a user 'spot' directory, if it was following proper protocol, should it not refuse to allow this? :? (Mind you, I'm not entirely certain how sym-links fit into the 'limited user permissions' scenario of a restricted user like spot... (*shrug*))
Hmm, I think in no circumstances does a limited account such as spot's have the power to limit what user root can do. If I understand you correctly, you, as root, created a link from /root into a folder owned by spot. Spot can't stop you from doing that; it can't protect root from root's own actions. But in itself the link you created poses no risk, unless you, as root, deliberately ran a seedy download, which could infect your rig. I'm writing this based on my understanding of how spot works on Fatdog64. I'm not sure how spot is implemented in all the puppies out there. But it should be the same, since you were able to start run-as-spot.

Thank you for posting your concise how to run the Fatdog64 Zoom SFS on some other puppies. Hopefully other Puppy users will find it and get started quickly.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

lastspike

#36 Post by lastspike »

rockedge wrote:@vtpup

I got zoom to run on Bionic32....if I can re-trace what exactly I did which actually made it work I will immediately share it

I'm not sure the audio is going yet....

Rockedge: I too have the same problems running zoom on bionic32. Could you tell me how you resolved the "sh: pactl: command not found" error?
I reinstalled pulseaudio, but that did not help. Where did you find pactl?

rockedge

#37 Post by rockedge »

Hello lastspike,

with the PPM I searched for and installed -> pulseaudio-utils
which has the pactl control command. That worked but there then is the next error!

takenp

#38 Post by takenp »

Hi guys!

so no ideas how to run Zoom under Tahrpup_32?

I tried as all others run it after getting up pulseaudio and got segmnetation fault. But I have no idea where to go to resolve it.

darry19662018

#39 Post by darry19662018 »

takenp wrote:Hi guys!

so no ideas how to run Zoom under Tahrpup_32?

I tried as all others run it after getting up pulseaudio and got segmnetation fault. But I have no idea where to go to resolve it.
Hi Takenp,

We have not had anybody successfully get Zoom to run in 32bit Pups - closest we have come is that I got it to run in 32bit Dogs - Xenial and BionicDog. I even tried the very latest 32 bit Puppies - nogo and got a segmentation fault like you.

So you will have to set it up on 64bit BionicPup or similar 64bit being the minimal requirement for running on a Pup.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

takenp

#40 Post by takenp »

I got it to run in 32bit Dogs - Xenial and BionicDog
I can expect that happens because of GCC version that was used to compile some dll required/used by Zoom.

thx for your reply @darry19662018