Undeletable PM in my forum mailbox

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ITSMERSH

Undeletable PM in my forum mailbox

#1 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

I have a outdated PM in my outbox that I can't delete.

Any clues how to solve?

smokey01

#2 Post by smokey01 »

I have one similar. It says it's an indexing problem. I haven't managed to delete it either.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Join the club!

I've got one that dates back almost 3 years.....when the Puppian who helped me to 'flash' my BIOS in Puppy abandoned the Forum shortly afterwards.

Even Flash says there's nothing he can do about it. Somehow, I rather doubt we're the only three with this problem; I'm guessing it's got a lot to do with the ancient version of PHP that John Murga's running.

But then, you don't bitch and complain about something that's provided totally free of charge, do you? Especially when that individual pays for it all out of their own pocket.....

Just do as I do. Be very, very grateful! (Thanks as always, John.)

Mike. :wink:

MochiMoppel

#4 Post by MochiMoppel »

Happens when you edit your sent PM (still in the outbox = not yet read by the receiver)
When during your editing the receiver opens the (unedited) PM the edited version becomes a zombie.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Aha! Makes sense I guess. Thanks, MochiMoppel. Does anyone remember editing the PM they can't delete? Or would that be a PM from someone else, who was editing the PM when you read it?

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

Flash wrote:Or would that be a PM from someone else, who was editing the PM when you read it?
This shouldn't cause a problem for the receiver.

Here an older thread about the problem.
The fun starts when you edit and (re)send a zombie.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I have one!

I think it is a tracking PM, to keep track of people that have been on this forum, Too long! :shock: :lol: :lol:

It is in my outbox. I assume the person never read it.
There is a chance, I did edit it, when it was still in the outbox.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

Flash wrote:Aha! Makes sense I guess. Thanks, MochiMoppel. Does anyone remember editing the PM they can't delete? Or would that be a PM from someone else, who was editing the PM when you read it?
Yes, I edited the PM and afer saving/submitting again I discovered the receiver already opened this PM.

Message when trying to delete is something similar like: can't reset user counter...

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm.

Well, it's entirely possible I, too, edited that PM while in the Outbox - it was a long time ago! It's not causing any problems.....

Mike. :wink:

rockedge

#10 Post by rockedge »

can't update the counter....I have zombie message as well. I will investigate the phpbb software to see what can be done with this version.

rockedge

#11 Post by rockedge »

does anyone know which version this phpbb is? I find archived versions going back to 3.0

Smithy

#12 Post by Smithy »

Ha, I don't go near it since being locked out and don't get any notifications any more. But no matter, it's the quickest login on the internet and seems to do the job ok. Clear of zombies I think!
Testing out later browsers though, they seem to think that https would be better, but still "allow" me to log in.

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

(Tongue-in-cheek:)

(Off-topic, but hey, it was too tempting!)

The only way to get rid of the PM is to vote against him/her at next
election. :twisted: And then you get a replacement PM. Shucks. :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

This way may be a little more work, but I have found that if you become an expert in a few areas, you will get enough PMs that the old ones get deleted automatically.

Funny anecdote about PMs. My wife now sends me a PM on here if she can't reach me by phone because I am on here more often than I check my email.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].