Interesting mouse & keyboard issue between machines (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
johnsonmlw

Interesting mouse & keyboard issue between machines (Solved)

#1 Post by johnsonmlw »

I'm using 32bit Xenial 7.5 Puppy Linux to breathe new life into some old computers in a school lab. I installed the environment onto usb at home on my own computer (then going through the initial puppy setup, then installing Scratch and Firefox and changing the wallpaper) and took the usb stick into the lab. Neither the mouse or keyboard worked on the lab computers (frozen cursor, not keyboard response).

BUT... with a completely fresh install of the same Puppy Linux also installed on my home computer (but without me installing Scratch or even booting the usb in my home computer), it works fine in the lab. Any idea what's going on here? Why should booting Puppy elsewhere cause a problem on another computer? All mice and keyboards used are usb. The reason I ask is that I'd like to tweak the usb stick install at home this week, but don't want to be stuck with no mouse or keyboard detection when I return to the school to teach the next lesson. And I'd like to understand it as part of the appeal is that a Puppy usb install *is* transferable between machines without issue - I think?

(I wonder if there's a file to remove that nudges Puppy into detecting mouse and keyboard as if for the first time and this would solve it.)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

If you boot Puppy on a computer, make setup settings, and save that setup on shutdown to a puppy save.
Boot on another computer using that save.
You have told the startup process that this is the hardware to support and the settings to use.
It does not need to look for any other hardware.
I'd like to understand it as part of the appeal is that a Puppy usb install *is* transferable between machines without issue - I think?
If you boot not using the save it will work on any computer.
Boot using boot option puppy pfix=ram
This boots not using any save.

On shutdown it will ask if you want to make a save.

If you want to. Make a seperate save for each computer you use the USB stick on. setup and settings for each specific computer.

Because you are booting each computer not using the save.
The programs you want to add will have to be put into a remaster of Xenialpup 7.5.
Or
If the programs can be in sfs packages.
Just have them in /mnt/home on the USB.
After booting up you can load the programs using SFS-Load-On-The-Fly.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Install all your stuff at home and then do a remaster with the option NOT to customize OR don't install anything but run your extra programmes as sfs-addons.

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi johnsonmlw,

I agree with both of bigpup and nic007. Sometimes a SaveFile/Folder can be created and used on more than one computer; sometimes not. It depends on the what setting are Saved. Recently, I copied from my Desktop a Puppy to a USB-Key, including the SaveFile, in order to transport it to my Laptop. Everything went well except on the initial bootup on the Laptop I had to change the Monitor Settings. Then I had a problem with my Desktop's SaveFile and so transported the SaveFile back from my Laptop. It booted, but the mouse was frozen and the keyboard unresponsive.

There's a 3rd possibility you can consider if you have a lot of applications you want on several computers. On your home computer, install PaDS 1.1.4 from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#998922 and optionally* install via Puppy Package Manager xdotool AND its dependency. Then, rather than installing the applications you want into your SaveFile/Folder --or even if you have-- you can just download with dependencies (no install) applications via PPM, pets, debs, SFSes and other packages via web-browser. Place them all in one folder with an appropriate name such as "my-applications", "graphics", whatever. Right-click the folder and select "Combine to SFS". One SFS will be created at /root containing all your additional applications.

As far as I know, this will work with any application which does not depend on python. Application.SFSes have lower priority than either a SaveFile/Folder or Puppy_version_Number.sfs. Consequently, if either of those contain python, the python files in an SFS will not be used. If the Application packaged as an SFS depends on the specific version of python in the SFS, it won't function.

mikesLr

* xdotool enables PaDS to use custom configurations --such as where the SFS will be built-- when started via the Menu and eliminates the need to have all files in the same folder.

johnsonmlw

#5 Post by johnsonmlw »

Big thanks for the clear explanations. That makes sense. I'll look into remastering.

Nice one.