Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gyro

#1291 Post by gyro »

666philb wrote:do you know what particular things need to be added in my DOTconfig for mmc storage support?
Try checking the following settings:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_MISC_RTSX=y

CONFIG_MISC_RTSX_PCI=y
CONFIG_MISC_RTSX_USB=y

CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_RICOH_MMC=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_ACPI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PLTFM=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_F_SDH30=y
CONFIG_MMC_WBSD=y
CONFIG_MMC_TIFM_SD=y
CONFIG_MMC_SPI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDRICOH_CS=m
CONFIG_MMC_CB710=y
CONFIG_MMC_VIA_SDMMC=y
CONFIG_MMC_VUB300=y
CONFIG_MMC_USHC=y
CONFIG_MMC_USDHI6ROL0=y
CONFIG_MMC_REALTEK_PCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_REALTEK_USB=y
CONFIG_MMC_CQHCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_TOSHIBA_PCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_MTK=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_XENON=y
CONFIG_MEMSTICK=y
To match what I have done in my series of "mmc" kernels.

gyro

phat7

#1292 Post by phat7 »

Please change Geany's default DejaVu Sans. For editors a monospaced font is more appropriate.

mikeslr

#1293 Post by mikeslr »

phat7 wrote:Please change Geany's default DejaVu Sans. For editors a monospaced font is more appropriate.
Start Geany. From its Menu: Edit>Preferences. Click the Interface Panel. In the Fonts Section, Click the Button to the Right of Editor. It probably currently reads DejaVu Sans. In the GUI which opens there appear to be several monospaced fonts you can choose.

phat7

#1294 Post by phat7 »

thanks mikeslr. I know how to change it. My suggestion is to ship bionicpub with a monospace font already set. A proportional font is not suitable for an editor.

Lekium

#1295 Post by Lekium »

I would like to carry with me an USB pendrive with Bionic Pup, Freecad and Prusa Slicer.

Should I a) create a bootable USB pendrive with Rufus and generate a save file upon reboot or b) should I use this same USB pendrive to perform a full install to another pendrive to carry with me?

In any case I'd be using a 32Gb Kingston Datatraveller pen to be partitioned according to your advise.

I have been reading the Puppy wiki concerning it's structure and what gets booted to Ram and what gets saved. I've also been reading here about how to keep the save file small in size and having the choice to save it before powering down. I'd like to keep my puppy lean and snappy.
Last edited by Lekium on Wed 08 Jul 2020, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#1296 Post by Semme »

Lekium, however you proceed after my post, consider partitioning your stick as outlined here. For the opening FAT32 partition, you *should* need no more than 15mb or so over the size of your Bionic ISO.

Intrist'in >> https://www.prusa3d.com/prusaslicer/
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Lekium

#1297 Post by Lekium »

I have read that topic, I've learned that with Isobooter it's possible to have the save file in an ext4 partition, which should make for a faster saving time. However, after extracting the tar.gz, when clicking the isobooter file a text editor opens, I dont know how to get any further.

rcrsn51

#1298 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Lekium:

Are you working in Puppy or in Windows?

If you extract the .tar.gz in Puppy, you get an executable script. When you click on it, a terminal window opens with some yes/no questions.

If you are doing this in Puppy, right-click on the script and select Properties. Are the three Exec boxes checked?

Lekium

#1299 Post by Lekium »

I made a mistake before. I'm now following the correct post, as i'm on ubuntu.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 475#687475

However, now I get "command not found" after:

sudo ./bootlace.com --time-out=0 /dev/sdb1

rcrsn51

#1300 Post by rcrsn51 »

I just tested this in xubuntu and it worked correctly.

Are you opening the terminal in the location where the file bootlace.com exists?

Use the "ls" command to check.

Lekium

#1301 Post by Lekium »

I re-downloaded and extracted isobooter and this time it worked, ive sucessfully booted bionic pup from a 32Gb pendrive that had been previously formatted to fat32 with gparted.

Previously there must have been a problem with the chair-to-computer interface.

Regarding adding an extra ext4 partition for pupsave, using the following partition table and your instructions above gave me an error when booting: "something-something needs to be contiguous to the instalation something-something". Is there a problem in using the following partition table?

500mb fat32 (*boot) | 500mb ext4 | 32-1GB fat32

rcrsn51

#1302 Post by rcrsn51 »

Is this a different pen drive than the one you have working? Or did you resize it and add the ext4 partition?

I would make the fat32 partition much bigger (at least 2GB). Reformat it to get a clean partition and start over.

Lekium

#1303 Post by Lekium »

It was the same pen partitioned in a different way. it worked once i deleted the big fat32 partition and left it unallocated:

2gb fat32 (+boot) | 2gb ext4 | 28Gb unallocated

I successfully ran isobooter from another pen with puppy to prepare this 32GB one.

Once it was up and running, I reformatted the unallocated space to fat32 for extra storage.

Thank you for your time.

Semme

#1304 Post by Semme »

Excellent, Lekium! Excellent.

Ya'know, too many peeps unfamiliar with new methods "try once, fail & quit." Your persistence payed off.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Lekium

#1305 Post by Lekium »

Thank you for your positiveness, discovering puppy has been a please :)