Bionicpup64 8.0 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
666philb

#46 Post by 666philb »

Mike Walsh wrote:Huh. Spoke too soon.....

After having said about having the same initial problem as watchdog, three more shut-down/re-boot attempts have resulted in the necessity for a 'hard power-off'. It WILL NOT shut-down cleanly.....not for me, anyway.
Mike. :wink:
hi Mike Walsh,

we'll see if recompiling the kernel fixes this, i enabled zswap and another related option ..... it did say experimental :)

BTW google chrome can be installed from google, i'll be adding an updater that appears in the menu once installed... hopefully
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#47 Post by 666philb »

mikeslr wrote:A

If Bionicpup64 is unable to run Google-chrome or is unable to manage any level of video editing --or audio editing or other major undertaking a user might want-- than it suffers significant flaws compared to other Linux operating systems. And it is best to know this at the outset so that they can be addressed, a process which might undo or obviate the need to correct minor flaws in the current build.

So far, I have not found an easy solution to video editing. The latest Avidemux-xp-portable, 2.7.1, which runs under Wine in other Puppies, doesn't. I took a stab at building Openshot 2.4.1. Using PPM I "Download and All dependencies" --including frei0r and plugins-- 123 debs in all, and used PaDS to create both an SFS and a Pet. Neither functioned. And, unfortunately, 2.4.1 requires both qt and python. Python provides the 'executable' and as I don't know python, at all, I haven't the foggiest what went wrong.

[Sidenote: I think rockedge somewhere provided instructions on how AppImages can be unpacked and edited or then otherwise used. I could find no instructions, anywhere, for modifying flatpaks or snap-packages].

mikesLr
hi mikeslr,

chrome opera &vivaldi .debs will install and run direct from their respective websites :)

i've found that modern openshot appimages require my nvidia proprietory graphic drivers installed to run, and won't work when using nouveau.
installing openshot from the PPM resulted in some missing dependences but when resolved openshot 2.4.1 would run on nouveau and very old intel drivers.

there are a few problem items in the PPM ..python3 being one ... i may swap from python2 to python3 in the next build
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

666philb

#48 Post by 666philb »

as people raise issues, i'll add them to the second post of the thread.
this helps me and it also allows others to see the current problems without scrolling through the whole thread .....and hopefully help fix :)

oldprinter

shut-down

#49 Post by oldprinter »

Many thanks to Mike Walsh for the work-around of the non-shutdown bug.

I'm calling it a bug because that's what my machine is calling it,

BUG - Unable to handles kernel paging at (and gives a very long string)
and
AE_NOT_FOUND while evaluating GPE method {_L101),
and keeps repeating (much faster than I can keep up with)

While this does not really help with the problem, it does allow me to run.

I downloaded the .iso, used the installed pBurn CD/DVD/Bluray writer in Xenialpup64 7.5 to Burn a DVD (out of CDs), booted without a problem on my Toshiba Satellite c55t laptop (Secure Boot turned off).

Tried Mike Walsh's work-around and it worked.
I have the SysInfo for the before and after if any one wants them.(no point in dropping that much text wirh out a good reason)

Tom

Keef

#50 Post by Keef »

Getting the same shutdown problems already reported.
This is also happening for me on TahrPup 6.0.6 with the 32 bit 4.14.63-rt37 kernel that rockedge made.

Dell XPS M1330
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz

[edited as it may have looked like I had done a kernel swap]

Terry H

#51 Post by Terry H »

666philb wrote:
Terry H wrote: I initially had no sound, I ran Sound Wizard to get the sound to default to the Laptop's speakers rather than HDMI. After some reboot/save cycles during setup, I now have no sound. Running Sound Wizard again, I no longer get any test sound playing when using Sound Wizard. I have no sound from local stored mp3's or via web browser.
hi Terry H, can you try setting the card in retrovols settings. right click on the volume icon and choose settings, click the hardware tab and set card to hw:2.
and see if that sticks
Thank you 666philb, that did the trick sound now working on local and Web based.

Since I now have sound, I noticed that the F1(Mute), F2(Vol -), F3(Vol +) Volume related function keys are also working for this release. There is however one small anomaly with this, the usage of these keys is not reflected in the tray Volume icon.

Edit: Changes to the Tray Volume Icon aren't actually altering the sound level. If I run Alsamixer the sound level is changed. The sound volume is also changed via Function keys.

Edit 2: On further investigation, I have determined it was the non-display of the Function keys usage which was my issue. The sound was just muted, but was not visible by the volume icon. Similarly any changes to the Volume icon selection has no effect, so clicking it has no effect on the actual volume. To test this I changed back to HW:1 and sound works fine just using the function keys.
Last edited by Terry H on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 00:29, edited 3 times in total.

artsown

#52 Post by artsown »

@666philb
Concerning me reporting an issue with psync, I have no interest in woofce or
joining github.

Art

Billtoo

Bionicpup64

#53 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a usb-3.0 SSD:

System: Host: puppypc29617 Kernel: 4.14.71 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7
Distro: bionicpup64 7.9.3
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: MXX0370KF3
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 serial: N/A
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: 6 core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 806/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.71, LLVM 6.0.0) version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCIE Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1126.5GB (2.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 66 F (19 C) Time: September 20, 6:45 PM EDT
Info: Processes: 142 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 174.6/7986.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I changed the kernel, updated PPM and added a few applications.

Will start using and see how it goes,
Thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I installed kodi from PPM and it had the repository problem, I then downloaded the kodi-17.6-x86_64.sfs from xenialpup64 and loaded it.
Between the two of them kodi is working.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(79.83 KiB) Downloaded 982 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#54 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Phil.
666philb wrote:hi Mike Walsh,

we'll see if recompiling the kernel fixes this, i enabled zswap and another related option ..... it did say experimental :)
Ah, that's OK, Phil. As you feel necessary.....as & when. Personally, I've never been fanatical about running the latest kernel, unlike many; as stated previously, given the age of the old Compaq, Racy 55's 3.0.66 kernel supports all my hardware.....and it's pretty much 'common knowledge' that the kernel is around 95% nothing but drivers nowadays.

If & when you get around to doing a re-compile, I'll certainly give the re-vamped version a try. I don't mind doing that.

It's early days yet, mate; there'll be plenty of other wee 'niggles' need sorting out, of that I'm quite certain ! You do a grand job, old son; never doubt it.

Cheers.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 16 Jul 2019, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#55 Post by rockedge »

Psync wasn't working properly.
Bionic64 is running well on a Dell Optiplex 990 but I am experiencing the same problem with Psync.

I have not been able to find a working version of Psync yet.

sheldonisaac

Re: Bionicpup64

#56 Post by sheldonisaac »

Thank you, 666philb.

It boots OK on this Dell laptop E6410, 4GB memory, i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHz

JWMdesk says it has cleared off all the icons and drive icons from the desktop, but it doesn't actually do it.

Thanks,

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

mikeslr

Chrome and Avidemux on Bionicpup64

#57 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I haven't had a problem with Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome, other than with bookmarks. I'm posting from it now. I'm using the 666philb's stock kernel and posted about a Shut-down problem earlier, before I loaded Google-Chrome. [Just scanned the recent posts so maybe I misread them as relating the shutdown problem to Google-chrome. Frankly, I'm tired, having spent several hours on the video editing problem and just intended to report about it. Will reread the recent post later].

As I previously mentioned, on Shutdown the "Save" "No Save" options appeared. If I did nothing the OS would shutdown without Saving in 60 seconds. It's just that I could Tab into the "No Save" option and Pressing "n" dropped me into the Shell but the 60 second clock fortunately continued to 'tick'. Right-Arrow sometimes worked to select No Save. But, I'm not sure if it always worked. May have inadvertently typed "n" before trying.

I'll take another crack at Openshot later*. But for now, Avidemux 2.7.1 is available from this link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1005223

Google-Chrome & its clones have gotten very picky about what bookmark.html's they will allow me to import. They don't even like the ones I've exported from a Google-Chrome or Clones. I had to resort to importing a bookmark.html I exported from Seamonkey in December of 2016.

mikesLr

*Edit, the following morning. Have carefully re-read posts and will attempt Mike Walsh's approach to Openshot 1.4.3. Thanks, again, Mike.

@ bigpup. Will create a new SaveFile w/o FbBox and now spend some time checking builtins.
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#58 Post by mavrothal »

:? :shock:
Attachments
DISTRO_SPECS.jpg
(148.79 KiB) Downloaded 972 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

belham2

Re: Chrome and Avidemux on Bionicpup64

#59 Post by belham2 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,

I haven't had a problem with Mike Walsh's Google-Chrome, other than with bookmarks. I'm posting from it now. I'm using the 666philb's stock kernel and posted about a Shut-down problem earlier, before I loaded Google-Chrome. [Just scanned the recent posts so maybe I misread them as relating the shutdown problem to Google-chrome. Frankly, I'm tired, having spent several hours on the video editing problem and just intended to report about it. Will reread the recent post later].

As I previously mentioned, on Shutdown the "Save" "No Save" options appeared. If I did nothing the OS would shutdown without Saving in 60 seconds. It's just that I could Tab into the "No Save" option and Pressing "n" dropped me into the Shell but the 60 second clock fortunately continued to 'tick'. Right-Arrow sometimes worked to select No Save. But, I'm not sure if it always worked. May have inadvertently typed "n" before trying.

I'll take another crack at Openshot later. But for now, Avidemux 2.7.1 is available from this link: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 23#1005223

Google-Chrome & its clones have gotten very picky about what bookmark.html's they will allow me to import. They don't even like the ones I've exported from a Google-Chrome or Clones. I had to resort to importing a bookmark.html I exported from Seamonkey in December of 2016.

mikesLr

Hi Mike, Phil and all,

Regarding the "shutdown" problem, I pointed this problem out with xenialpup64 back in the beginning of April in 2017. But no one really responded and Phil didn't look at it (I assume). It's the exact same problem for me again with this new version. Here's my old post about it:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 967#949967

I got so frustrated with it, that I had to tell myself that always---ALWAYS---if I want something "saved' to manually save it before I log out, otherwise despite having the choice to "save" or "no save" at shutdown, the screen would be frozen and no selection could be made & the system would shutdown itself in 60 secs with no ability to influence that outcome and/or choose "save" or "not save"---despite those choices staring at you in the face :? . Quite a few times this behaviour irritated the he!! out of me (when I forgot to save things while still inside the booted system) as I lost quite a bit of work and/or installs I was trying in xenialpup64 7.5 CE.

It's amazing this exact problem is back with this latest incarnation of xenialpup64. Hopefully, proper attention will be paid to it, and people will back off saying there isn't any problem. There is a problem: and it has a mind of its own, sometimes it works, but vast majority of the time it does not.
Last edited by belham2 on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#60 Post by peebee »

Chromium64 works fine on Bionicpup64 as long as it is first converted from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib....

sfs:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 40#1004440

converter:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 205#867205

The difference in /lib64 implementation between slacko64 and ubuntu64 pups does cause problems and is related to an unresolved woof-ce pull request / issue from July:

get rid of the multiarch symlink #1224
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

LateAdopter

#61 Post by LateAdopter »

666philb wrote:
LateAdopter wrote: With BionicPup, on my Braswell N3150 box, I have changed to the intel driver which also required a change of kernel.
I have removed compton from startup because it was causing tearing with media playback

Thanks again.
Hi LateAdopter,

it's annoying that the modesetting driver now overrides the intel driver, as the screen tearing is really bad! it is supposed to enable it but doesn't on any intel graphics that i've tested it on.

you can force loading of the intel drive by creating the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and pasting into it
Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "INTEL Corporation"
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection[/code]

before you try the above though (which is the best option), with the original kernel can you try editing /root/.config/compton.conf and changing line 33 (approx, it's the vsync line) to

Code: Select all

vsync = "drm";
and restart compton and see if there's any improvement
Hello 666philb
I'll talk about Intel in this post and try your compton test separately later.
When I was doing my initial checks on BionicPup64 I found this

-OpenGL-
Vendor		: VMware, Inc.
Renderer	: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Version		: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
Direct Rendering	: Yes
An advantage of Intel GPUs is that they have real 2D accelerated rendering and they don't need LLVM or glamor, which bring their own bugs.

So I knew I needed to switch to the Intel driver and I put this .conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d which is where the amdgpu and radeon ones are.

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Card0"
  Driver      "intel"
  VendorName  "INTEL Corporation"
  Option "DRI" "3"
  Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
  Option "TearFree" "false"
EndSection
But with that and your 4.14.67 kernel xorg would not start. It just stopped with a blinking cursor. Originally I did "restart graphical server" which was fatal, with no way out. I have just retested with a complete boot and it still stops at the blinking cursor, but the power button does trigger a puppy shutdown.

I switched to the kernel that I am currently using with XenialPup64, which happens to be 4.17.13, but any kernel from 4.3 onwards is OK for Braswell. With my kernel xorg starts up OK with the Intel driver.

With SNA and triplebuffer or tearfree I always got severe memory leaks on TP64 or XP64 when switching to fullscreen and mpv would get killed in 15seconds for "out of memory". But with just DRI3 it works well without tearing or memory leaks.

My kernels are still descended from the Fatdog 3.18.7 DOTconfig. The only changes that I have done are CONFIG_X86_MSR=y, which is needed by the intel_pstate driver, and the LOGLEVEL=3 that is needed for recent kernels.

Since then I have installed Gnome-mpv + libmpv and also tvheadend on one copy of BP64 and they are working properly. On another copy I have connected the WiFi network and loaded Vivaldi 1.15 and that is working properly too.

LateAdopter

#62 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello 666philb
I have looked in the savefile from the failed boot with your 4.14.67 kernel and there is no /var/log/xorg.0.log also the messages file was zero size. This implies that aufs is not writing changes immediately to the savefile on disk.
Was your kernel built with the correct aufs4.14.56+ branch or is this a woof-ce bug?

rockedge

#63 Post by rockedge »

I am impressed with Bionic64 and so far it is running well on a Dell Optiplex 990.

Psync is not working...unable to fix it yet.
on shutdown or reboot I am experiencing the same as reported by Keef
and others. I saw this as well with some variations of the 4.14.63-rt37 kernel on some machines.
the save folder is being written but the shutdown hangs as reported.

I am building at the moment a 4.14.71 64 bit kernel for the Bionic64 for testing purposes.
I will let everyone know how it works out

rockedge

#64 Post by rockedge »

Well the compiling of the 4.14.71 kernel was successful but the shut down problem is the same after swapping it into Bionic64

boots fine....runs nicely...but has the shutdown / reboot hangup but with a different backtrace and the save folder is written to.

swapped the Xenial64 kernel 4.9.58 into Bionic64 runs well and fast and shuts down cleanly

now swapped the kernel 4.14.71 x86_64 that hangs in BIonic65 into the Xenial64-7.5
AND it does NOT hang up and reboot / shutdown is clean!

the test seems to indicate some problem in Bionic64 itself but the fact that with the 4.9.58 kernel it shuts down cleanly is something to note

rockedge

#65 Post by rockedge »

if anyone wants this 64 bit kernel I will upload it to
https://rockedge.org/kernels/