(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Sep 2020, 00:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 46 of 87 [1305 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
Author Message
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 6397
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 19:21    Post subject: Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Subject description: Rshift not working
 

ETP wrote:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for Bionicpup64 8.0 CE.
In a previous post on 3rd January I raised the issue of Rshift not working which is still the case:

Looking at it again it seems that changes to the redshiftgui_tray wrapper may be needed and/or an extra symlink.

I have not confirmed that as I prefer fredx181´s rshift-portable-64-v3.tar.gz and have just installed that.

Please press F11 to toggle into full-screen then click on link;---

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Lt1FJ89CTO04u1wVnQDjRY7Xc2pFiy3M


@ ETP:-

I'll second that. Fred's 'rshift-lite' self-extracting scripts are an absolute doddle to use. Stick 'em in /root/Startup, and click to start on first use. After that, it'll fire up of its own accord on every boot.

The 'geo-discovery' was a bit flaky in earlier versions, but by switching to a different 'provider', that's been fixed. V3 now discovers my correct location to within 3-5 miles (difference between King's Lynn town centre and the outskirts where I actually live).

That's close enough..! Very Happy

I agree, Richard's code was developed for Jon Lund Steffenson's original RedShiftGUI. Fred's kinda developed his own 'Puppyfied' version, by combining some elements of the screen brightness control he & I spent a while mucking about with, as well as making use of components of the redshift-cli package, plus one or two other bits he tracked down in the dark depths of t'internet.....all tied together with a rather nifty YAD-based GUI that MochiMoppel and a couple of others gave assistance and tips with.

All in all, it works very well indeed. Literally 'set it & forget it'..!

-------------------------------------

@ Phil:-

Am just now d/l'ing the 8.0 release. I figure it's probably time to move onwards & upwards from 7.9.3.....which has been quite sweet to use, after we sorted a few problems out earlier in development.

I'll let y'all know how I get on with it.


Mike. Wink

_________________
MY 'PUPPY' PACKAGES

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Sun 03 Mar 2019, 19:39    Post subject:  

Hi.

Yesterday I tried to apply some fixes from 8.0 to 7.9.6 which I made a remaster from. I wanted to apply the fixes on the issues of free space in pmount and the drives tool-tips.

I found after replacing /etc/rc.d with the /etc/rc.d from 8.0 free space in pmount and the drive tool-tips are present as usual.

Did made a remaster then (literally made two, as I made a fault on the first remaster).

Though, both remasters at next boot gave an error message and booting paused until I had hit Enter.

The error message told me: not booting from a multi-session cd.

Is there any chance for me to apply these fixes to 7.9.6?

I would like to avoid to do all the changes/remasters again, as I'm not in the need for the save file issues fixes etc.pp.

_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Mon 04 Mar 2019, 20:48    Post subject:  

Ok.

I don't know if this is allowed or even recommended, but I tried to make an update of my remaster of 7.9.6 manually and the rough way. Made two directories for that:

A = extracted 7.9.6
B = extracted 8.0 latest

Used cp -a -u to update all files in A from the files in B.

Mounted read only the remastered 7.9.6 sfs and copied my modifications into A.
All files found have been overwritten.

After a first boot I had to just to add a few modifications that I hadn't included and to re-squash again.

Now posting from it.

The mentioned issues are gone, everything seems to be fine.

_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gychang


Joined: 29 Nov 2008
Posts: 416
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 10:11    Post subject: Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Subject description: Rshift not working
 

Mike Walsh wrote:
ETP wrote:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for Bionicpup64 8.0 CE.
In a previous post on 3rd January I raised the issue of Rshift not working which is still the case:

Looking at it again it seems that changes to the redshiftgui_tray wrapper may be needed and/or an extra symlink.

I have not confirmed that as I prefer fredx181´s rshift-portable-64-v3.tar.gz and have just installed that.

Please press F11 to toggle into full-screen then click on link;---

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Lt1FJ89CTO04u1wVnQDjRY7Xc2pFiy3M


@ ETP:-

I'll second that. Fred's 'rshift-lite' self-extracting scripts are an absolute doddle to use. Stick 'em in /root/Startup, and click to start on first use. After that, it'll fire up of its own accord on every boot.

The 'geo-discovery' was a bit flaky in earlier versions, but by switching to a different 'provider', that's been fixed. V3 now discovers my correct location to within 3-5 miles (difference between King's Lynn town centre and the outskirts where I actually live).

That's close enough..! Very Happy

I agree, Richard's code was developed for Jon Lund Steffenson's original RedShiftGUI. Fred's kinda developed his own 'Puppyfied' version, by combining some elements of the screen brightness control he & I spent a while mucking about with, as well as making use of components of the redshift-cli package, plus one or two other bits he tracked down in the dark depths of t'internet.....all tied together with a rather nifty YAD-based GUI that MochiMoppel and a couple of others gave assistance and tips with.

All in all, it works very well indeed. Literally 'set it & forget it'..!

Mike. Wink


Laptop frugal install of Bionicpup64 with RedshiftGUI-0.2.1-Linux-x86_64.deb install/setup occasionally fails to load on boot, the same setup on my desktop works well, shall I try V3?, is there a link?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gychang


Joined: 29 Nov 2008
Posts: 416
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 10:55    Post subject: Re: Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Subject description: Rshift not working
 

[quote="Mike Walsh"]
ETP wrote:
Hi Phil,

I'll second that. Fred's 'rshift-lite' self-extracting scripts are an absolute doddle to use. Stick 'em in /root/Startup, and click to start on first use. After that, it'll fire up of its own accord on every boot.

The 'geo-discovery' was a bit flaky in earlier versions, but by switching to a different 'provider', that's been fixed. V3 now discovers my correct location to within 3-5 miles (difference between King's Lynn town centre and the outskirts where I actually live).

That's close enough..! Very Happy

All in all, it works very well indeed. Literally 'set it & forget it'..!

Mike. Wink


I downloaded the v3 from your google drive and configured and works perfectly, much improved in every way.

_________________
---
trying to learn puppylinux... Very Happy
---
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
artsown

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 403

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 17:20    Post subject: Comparing ram useages of different pups  

htop-2.0.2-x86_64.pet is available from this archive:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/
It works in xenialpup64. Since tahrpup64 and bionicpup64 have this
version installed, a meaningful comparison of ram useage of the
three pups can be made.

Bionicpup64 does a PPM update automatically at startup. After a 90 second
sleep at startup, ram useage readings increase considerably because of
this. I decided to test the other two pups after manually updating their PPMs.
All three pups are frugal installed to hard drive.

tahrpup64 485 meg (413 meg before PPM update)
xenialpup64 546 meg (463 meg before PPM update)
bionicpup64 600 meg (511 meg before PPM update)

Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
666philb


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3635
Location: wales ... by the sea

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 20:53    Post subject: Re: Comparing ram useages of different pups  

artsown wrote:
htop-2.0.2-x86_64.pet is available from this archive:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/
It works in xenialpup64. Since tahrpup64 and bionicpup64 have this
version installed, a meaningful comparison of ram useage of the
three pups can be made.

Bionicpup64 does a PPM update automatically at startup. After a 90 second
sleep at startup, ram useage readings increase considerably because of
this. I decided to test the other two pups after manually updating their PPMs.
All three pups are frugal installed to hard drive.

tahrpup64 485 meg (413 meg before PPM update)
xenialpup64 546 meg (463 meg before PPM update)
bionicpup64 600 meg (511 meg before PPM update)

Art

hi artstown,

thanks for this comparison. another interesting things to add would be booting them with pfix=nocopy so that the .sfs isn't loaded into ram.

_________________
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2019, 23:14    Post subject:  

I removed this a the target is also removed.
_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink

Last edited by ITSMERSH on Wed 06 Mar 2019, 18:12; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
artsown

Joined: 12 Sep 2012
Posts: 403

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 11:06    Post subject:  Re: Comparing ram useages of different pups  

666philb wrote:
artsown wrote:
htop-2.0.2-x86_64.pet is available from this archive:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/
It works in xenialpup64. Since tahrpup64 and bionicpup64 have this
version installed, a meaningful comparison of ram useage of the
three pups can be made.

Bionicpup64 does a PPM update automatically at startup. After a 90 second
sleep at startup, ram useage readings increase considerably because of
this. I decided to test the other two pups after manually updating their PPMs.
All three pups are frugal installed to hard drive.

tahrpup64 485 meg (413 meg before PPM update)
xenialpup64 546 meg (463 meg before PPM update)
bionicpup64 600 meg (511 meg before PPM update)

Art

hi artstown,

thanks for this comparison. another interesting things to add would be booting them with pfix=nocopy so that the .sfs isn't loaded into ram.


Your wish is my command, phil!

Using nocopy:

tahrpup64 197 (123 before PPM update)
xenialpup64 234 (151 before PPM update)
bionicpup64 261 (170 before PPM update)

Art
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
666philb


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3635
Location: wales ... by the sea

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 17:13    Post subject: Re: Comparing ram useages of different pups  

artsown wrote:
666philb wrote:
artsown wrote:
htop-2.0.2-x86_64.pet is available from this archive:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/
It works in xenialpup64. Since tahrpup64 and bionicpup64 have this
version installed, a meaningful comparison of ram useage of the
three pups can be made.

Bionicpup64 does a PPM update automatically at startup. After a 90 second
sleep at startup, ram useage readings increase considerably because of
this. I decided to test the other two pups after manually updating their PPMs.
All three pups are frugal installed to hard drive.

tahrpup64 485 meg (413 meg before PPM update)
xenialpup64 546 meg (463 meg before PPM update)
bionicpup64 600 meg (511 meg before PPM update)

Art

hi artstown,

thanks for this comparison. another interesting things to add would be booting them with pfix=nocopy so that the .sfs isn't loaded into ram.


Your wish is my command, phil!

Using nocopy:

tahrpup64 197 (123 before PPM update)
xenialpup64 234 (151 before PPM update)
bionicpup64 261 (170 before PPM update)

Art


thanks

that all looks pretty reasonable , most of the difference with xenial is probably compton running.

anyway ... i'm happy with that! Very Happy

_________________
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
666philb


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3635
Location: wales ... by the sea

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 18:12    Post subject: binoicpup64 video  

i've just uploaded a bionicpup64 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibxDA_Kxdk

enjoy Very Happy

_________________
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RedQuine

Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 18:45    Post subject:  

Woo-hoo! Consider me assimilated Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 20:31    Post subject: Re: binoicpup64 video  

666philb wrote:
i've just uploaded a bionicpup64 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibxDA_Kxdk

enjoy Very Happy

+1 Very Happy

Great Video!

Great Puppy!

Absolutely needed!

Cool

_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Moat


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 968
Location: Mid-mitten

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2019, 21:11    Post subject:  

+2 Very Happy

Great video - how cool!

And for sure - a great, great Puppy!! Should not this Pup be an "official" release, with a Distrowatch notification? It certainly deserves it - one of the best ever.

Thanks to Phil! Smile

Bob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 1601
Location: ¿Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.?

PostPosted: Thu 07 Mar 2019, 01:10    Post subject: Re: binoicpup64 video  

666philb wrote:
i've just uploaded a bionicpup64 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibxDA_Kxdk

enjoy Very Happy


.............

Wow, I couldn't take my eyes off the display!

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 46 of 87 [1305 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, ..., 85, 86, 87 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1664s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0851s) ][ GZIP on ]