Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 16 Sep 2019, 21:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 65 [974 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 Next
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 22 May 2019, 10:38    Post subject:  

Hi,
charlie6 wrote:
... long time to get wifi connected;

Browsing this thread, I found forum member rerwin some posts starting here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1009363#1009363
which lead to a Simple Network Setup new version 2.2.1. on bottom this thread here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952876#952876

BionicPup64 8 iso comes with embedded SNS 2.2 version;
last edited:
SNS 2.2.1. does not fixes the network setup on my HP2530p EliteBook (B43 Broadcom wifi adapter) ( tons of thanks to Richard !)
But rerwin's rc.network.gz given here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1009363#1009363 fixes the issue.
As far as I could check it, this rc.network differs from the one present in SNS version 2.2.1.

HTH
Charlie
rerwin

PostPosted: Wed 22 May 2019, 17:04    Post subject:  

I am working with charlie6 to diagnose the issue.
Richard
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 07:42    Post subject:  

Bionicpup64 8.0 CE
when I click a ".rar" file in ROX, xarchive launches.
I extract it with xarchive, but it extracts an empty file (size 0).
I dont know if it happened to you too.
escucha

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 13:34    Post subject:  

Yes I found also this issue since I use rar decompression in .cbr and .cbz comics archive packs.
My surgical solution was deleting this file: 7z-wrap.sh
You can found this wrapper navigating to: /usr/lib/xarchive/wrappers/

I know is a drastical solution but it works for me.

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 16:12    Post subject: Re: simple_network_setup possible unexpected behavior  

rerwin wrote:
Simple_network_setup 2.2 (SNS) can misbehave the first time it is used after first boot-up or after using another network manager (network wizard, frisbee, peasywifi). The problem is that it may not correctly identify itself as the current manager, so that :
- starting a new connection may fail.
- Re-connection may not occur after a reboot

Even if neither malfunction occurs, starting SNS and immediately Quitting it will prevent or resolve the issue. That need be done only once after first boot-up or changing from another network manager.

The bug has been fixed in woofCE but too late for BionicPup 8.0. To avoid exposure to the bug, pet package simple_network_setup-2.2.1 is available here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952876#952876

Also at that link is network-wizard-2.1.1. (Ignore the other packages there.) Both of those packages change the "current manager" only if a connection is configured, started or stopped. That way, merely viewing their main pages does not terminate a connection started by another manager.
Richard

Running Xenial 7.5 64-bit.

I've tried loading and quitting sns a couple times, but my eth0 doesn't automatically connect (in fact, I pull up sns, and it appears that I need to delete the saved configuration, and redo the connection to get it to connect.

Running sns from the command line reports this:

Code:
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

EXIT="EXITNOW"

Why is it looking for wireless extensions on eth0?... Did I break something during my install (I really don't want to go through that whole routine again to get my various packages working again)

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 23 May 2019, 22:28    Post subject: Re: simple_network_setup possible unexpected behavior  

RetroTechGuy wrote:

I've tried loading and quitting sns a couple times, but my eth0 doesn't automatically connect (in fact, I pull up sns, and it appears that I need to delete the saved configuration, and redo the connection to get it to connect.

I infer that you are running with SNS 2.2.1 installed. Did you also install network_connect_update-20180930?

I will look into this shortly and contact you by PM if I need more information.
Richard
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2019, 00:59    Post subject: Re: simple_network_setup possible unexpected behavior  

rerwin wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

I infer that you are running with SNS 2.2.1 installed. Did you also install network_connect_update-20180930?

I will look into this shortly and contact you by PM if I need more information.
Richard

I have no idea which version it is. On the commandline, "sns -v" or "-V" just launches sns, rather than reporting the version. The help button also doesn't report the version number. Where would I find that? I have not installed "network_connect_update-20180930" -- just located it, and will do an install and reboot (so I can see if it finds the network on its own)

Update: I installed the connect_update, with no apparent effect. It doesn't automagically connect, and requires 2 attempts to connect to achieve an connection. Weird...

rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2019, 07:01    Post subject:  

OK. You would know if you installed 2.2.1. Please install it in addition to network_connect_update-20180930 so that we are not trying to diagnose an old version of SNS.

I think we should be discussing this in the "network connect" or xenialpup64 thread, because it does not pertain to bionicpup64.
Thanks.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2019, 02:29    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
OK. You would know if you installed 2.2.1. Please install it in addition to network_connect_update-20180930 so that we are not trying to diagnose an old version of SNS.

I think we should be discussing this in the "network connect" or xenialpup64 thread, because it does not pertain to bionicpup64.
Thanks.

OK, I moved it over to the thread under Xenial 7.5:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1029036#1029036

escucha

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2019, 13:58    Post subject:  

Hi,

After many weeks using normaly Bionicpup64 8.0 CE as main OS went to try to append manually a frugal puppy (tahr, xenial...) using the old method based in a folder containing the files needed to start.

Well in Bionicpup64 8.0 CE is not possible to manage the menu.lst with Geany and only obtain exit to grub prompt on reboot or 'Error2 Bad file or directory'
What am I making wrong?

amn87

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun 2019, 01:32    Post subject: RAM usage a tad high?  

Hi all. This is the very first Puppy that I could get working in a VM without any issues so happy about it.
But the RAM consumption immediately after boot seems a little high. Lubuntu 19.0.4 was around 480MB whereas Bionicpup64 was a good 100MB or so higher. I have 8GB RAM installed so its only an issue while trying to run multiple Puppy guests under Windows 10. I will try with the 32-bit version but Chrome could be an issue there. Does Xenial Pup or any other recent Pup also work well in a VM and with lower memory consumption? Thanks.
s243a

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun 2019, 01:42    Post subject: Re: RAM usage a tad high?  

amn87 wrote:
Hi all. This is the very first Puppy that I could get working in a VM without any issues so happy about it.
But the RAM consumption immediately after boot seems a little high. Lubuntu 19.0.4 was around 480MB whereas Bionicpup64 was a good 100MB or so higher. I have 8GB RAM installed so its only an issue while trying to run multiple Puppy guests under Windows 10. I will try with the 32-bit version but Chrome could be an issue there. Does Xenial Pup or any other recent Pup also work well in a VM and with lower memory consumption? Thanks.

For virtualbox I found the following work well: fatdog64, TazPup and Stretch Dog.

Regarding more official puppyies on a VM, maybe try QEMU or VMware. Alternatively, try removing the part in the /root/.xinitrc script where it hides the mouse when the mouse isn't moving.

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun 2019, 04:30    Post subject: Re: RAM usage a tad high?  

amn87 wrote:

This is because the entire SFS is copied into RAM.
Try to boot the boot option pfix=nocopy to decrease RAM use.
VM wise, most puppies work fine in VMware and Parellels. VitrualBox is a mixed bag.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:36    Post subject:  

A common problem with Puppy's in general (including bionicpup) is the on-screen popups/info boxes. When dpi is set to a relatively high number then the text more often just doesn't fit the box size.

A more general alternative that works better IMO is to use notify-send

notify-send -t 5000 -u normal "some message"

that in this example case pops up a 5 second (5000 m/s) message.
s.png
 Description   
 Filesize   3.83 KB
 Viewed   582 Time(s)

s.png

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2019, 07:10    Post subject:  

Immediately after startup (desktop) I load up a set of tui windows (tilda tabs) one of which is iftop and it looks like bionicpup is doing quite a bit of 'calling home' (to ubuntu). I've also seen a connection to google in that set (suspect that might be in-code somewhere i.e. validating that a internet connection is alive).

Why? And can it be disabled?
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   82.8 KB
 Viewed   521 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Page 62 of 65 [974 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: