Compiling cmake-3.12.2

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
pagestep007

Compiling cmake-3.12.2

#1 Post by pagestep007 »

Hi, I am trying to get into compiling.

One of the frustrations of Puppy (among its many glories) is the lack of updated programs and waiting for someone else to compile and make a .pet for you and your particular puppy, maybe, one day, possibly, if ever. So I would like to become that 'someone that I can call on.

So... after a year or so, I find you need a compiler. Ok got that. Then found after another year how to use the terminal to track down what dependencies are missing from the .pet installed, that doesn't work. YES! ... a month or so into that process and I found ./ Wow you can actually run programs with ./ and where it stops... you got no dependency... learned a bit about how to get some of them and where they usually go in the puppy system. Ok 50% victory in that department now. Still half the time stumped by missing dependencies or not knowing what it means or where to get them, or a dependency missing a dependency...etc.
Then I found makelist.txt...if the source has that in the directory, there is a slim chance of compiling something. A week later I found the '.' after 'cmake' and celebration, scrolling text in the terminal! But no programs yet.
Then there was a program I really wanted to compile, (can I afford days on the computer to find a gap missing between a couple letters in the command is all I needed to know, that no one on the entire internet was able to articulate in english in tutorials and how tos etc? ok yes, It will be worth it I tell myself) So, I find that the version needed to compile desired source code has to be done with a more recent version of CMake.
I investigate and find that cmake-3.12.2 can be compiled with the current compiler cmake2.8 in the devx.sfs I have for my puppy5.0.7 .
Reading documentation did ./bootstrap and the script therein scrolled through the text in the terminal until saying it is all configured and ready to do 'make' (...euphoria ...)

I do this and it happily scrolls through the text (some color even) wow , promising... and it gets to 65 or 68 % and spits the dummy and errors. Nothing from there.. Downloaded new version to eliminate corrupt download possibility, several times. but the same happens.

Has anyone had experience with this and/or any success compiling cmake-3.12.2?

I am going into my third year with Puppy and it is so frustrating that it is such a humoungous mountain with no map within the puppy community to install programs. A puppy runs like a charm out of the box, but to install anything new is a nightmare. I just lost access to all my email yesterday as hotmail did another stupid upgrade and now my firefox won't load the emails in as it is now too old., and no-one has done a recent upgrade of a .pet and I get cryptics on trying to compile a new version...There are a LOT of open source programs we could be using if more of us knew some of these basics and shared with others how to do it. What I have learned so far is actually not that hard, but boy what a mean trek to learn such basic stuff like ./ for instance.
I extol the virtues of puppy to everyone I come in contact with who are willing to listen. I am even promoting it as system of choice for doing Cinema special effects in a university I am teaching at, at present....but two downfalls...trying to get windows based computers to relinquish their strangle hold on booting order, to boot off a USB.. and the software installation process.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

You might like stretchdog because since it uses the same package management system as debian you have a much better success rate installing and configuring stuff from the official debian repo.

I notice that you are using an older version of puppylinux. What are your hardware specs. If you can install a never version of puppylinux (tahrpup or newer) then you'll have better luck with newer software. I found UPup Bionic Beaver to work well.

Or if you need something for older harder then I recommend TazPup or XSlaco Slim, since theyare being actively maintained. If you want to build GCC though there are instuctions at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/

OscarTalks

#3 Post by OscarTalks »

I have successfully compiled cmake-3.7.2 in various Puppies including Precise, Slacko 5.7 and Wheezy, but that was a year or two ago.

I would suggest upgrading to a more recent Puppy as a first step unless there is some reason why you can't.

I believe the cmake compiling process uses the existing cmake in your system to compile the source code of the new one. You may be experiencing a problem because you are trying to make too large a jump in version numbers from 2.8 to 3.12.2

One thing you could try is intermediate steps in the version numbers. Download the source of versions between 2.8 and 3.12.2 and see if they build without errors. Try the last ever of the 2.x versions first. If that installs, then you will be using that to compile the higher one. Hopefully you understand what I mean. I expect only a couple of intermediate steps would be needed, not every version that was released.
Oscar in England

pagestep007

Compiling cmake-3.12.2

#4 Post by pagestep007 »

Thank you so much s243a and OscarTalks . Yes you are right, I am using Slacko 5.7.. Yes I know, upgrade... I am in South America , using old equipment even for here, to do Television Production. I have spent several years scouring the internet for compatable programs with the 5.7 and have like 8gb of programs which I find useful. (enough to have my own local repository) Any upgrade I have tried, the vast majority of these programs will not work with the upgraded system and it makes me break out in a sweat to think of months of dependency solving etc to get it back to where the system already was. It is time I really do not have. I have my whole TV, Movie ,Video production pipeline all on one CD. That is mindblowing in this industry, but it is really niche so there do not seem to be many interested in what I have put together. The system works, its not broken, why ´fix it? well... upgrading some of these programs for one as I am forced to. When Outlook decides to throw a spanner in the works...forces me to spend multiple hours of frustration. (I am on a windows comp to be able to write this - the shame of it) I thought OK , I´ll try seamonkey...the .pet in the repositories is out of date. No mail in outlook either, and no sync with the account after an hour of trying to configure it. Download the latest version... no go on compiling . Immediately dependencies trip it up. Then Halleluya, celebratory coffee, I managed to compile and install a lib file !!! and then onto the next trip up...cryptics, some parameter in some line of code somewhere is not set...I give up.

OscarTalks, I will try the intermediate step thing with cmake. s243a, is it possible to update the Puppy wiki with this information of what versions are current? I spent some rediculous time looking around the net, the wiki ,etc to see what the most popular or current versions are at the moment, with what advantages each may have in order to plan ahead or make a descision...to no avail. Thank you for the recommendations, its new info for me,

I think Puppy is the best of systems. That is why I use it. However, it is doubtful if it will ever be a major consideration for the general public, as long as installation nightmares continue. Sad.

pagestep007

Compiling cmake-3.12.2

#5 Post by pagestep007 »

HI all . :)

I got hold of a cmake 3.0 version. Super easy to get going. The package I got from cmake website repository was just a usr directory, with sub-directories and files. Copied the files to the same directories on the puppy system and in the terminal it seemed to go (did 'cmake -version' in the terminal and it checked out with the new 3.0 version). However, I am still having the same problem. Gets to 67% of the 'make' and spits the dummy.

Any clue what I should do?

Attachments
cmake3error.jpg
This is where 'make' gets up to...
(148.21 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

Keef

#6 Post by Keef »

After a (very) quick search for that error "has no member named 'emplace'", I think it may that the version of gcc is too old (needs to be >= 4.8.5, and Slacko has 4.7.1), but I could be wrong.
I think it may be worthwhile saying what software you are trying to compile. Might save you going down a few dead ends.

OscarTalks

#7 Post by OscarTalks »

So this is for Slacko 5.7 is that correct?
Are you trying to compile something with cmake which is complaining that your version of cmake is too old, or are you just updating for the experience?
I can offer my cmake-3.7.2-slacko5.7.pet package if it is any help.
I have uploaded it here
https://yadi.sk/d/8dJPlK3x3GoPQr?force_show=1
It may not help with compiling 3.12.2 if the problem is that gcc is too old for 3.12.2 but it all rather depends on what exactly you need and what you are trying to do.
Oscar in England

pagestep007

Compiling cmake-3.12.2

#8 Post by pagestep007 »

Thanks Keef. And Oscar again . Thanks for the cmake update Oscar. I will give it a go. It will short cut things a bit maybe. Installing a cmake3.0 did exactly the same problems. and gcc seems to work, but who knows.
I am doing this for experience as much as getting something working. Unfortunately things seem to domino and get more complicated. One thing I liked about Puppy initially was that if you got a system going with programs you found useful, it was frozen in time and worked like a charm every time you booted. I have lived through decades of technological change and been forced to re-learn 7 windows sytems before I had a gut full. I enjoyed that stability that puppy apparently offered. However, when some program upgrade tempted me sufficiently, it was a huge effort to upgrade that program. I have become reasonally proficient in clunking through finding dependencies missing from other´s work who have .pets done, that don´t work with slacko 5.7. I just accepted that this is a puppy anomily. However I am finding that there are not too many people interested in the software I am interested in. I thought it was time I got to compiling. I have had dozens of delicious looking programs that I have sadly deleted as they need to be compiled. One of the base philiosophies of puppy is its small size and speed. The downside of this is missing dependencies. The question is how much does a puppy newer version differ from an older one to justify all the upgrade hassles? When I tried to upgrade to slacko 6.3 3/4 of my programs refused to work. So I went back to 5.7. I have basically just replaced a few programs with newer ones and remastered the cd. At what point does the system start to fall apart enough, to justify go through the process of upgrading to a newer version... and then which version?

This thread is about Compiling cmake-3.12.2. Just trying to get it going , while trying to learn something about compiling. Another thread about compiling might be necessary(and one about firefox). It would seem the theory of compiling, with only a few simple steps is wonderful. and I have managed to compile a few LITTLE things like one dependency for another compiling mess and it just miraculously did its thing with three little commands and puff it was done. So I know it can be a definite benefit to do. But if it does not happen as it is supposed to, then it is a pandoras box.

pagestep007

Compiling cmake-3.12.2

#9 Post by pagestep007 »

Hi to all, especially Oscar and Keef.

Oscar, in using the Cmake 3.7.2 Things go better, but still not getting things compiled, so It makes me think I should upgrade the gcc as you both suggest. Any idea where I can get a .pet from? I see they are up to version 8.2 now on the gcc site. I tried a slackbuild script (the only one they offer is for 7.3 at the moment) , but had no success. And several .Rpm did not work for me.