reCaptcha

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

reCaptcha

#1 Post by nic007 »

Which browsers/versions are now compatible with this recaptcha robot challenge crap? According to the google site only the very latest versions of the big browsers are supported. One of these days the size of your browser is going to be bigger than your operating system. :x

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

Not ye olde trusty ff 25 nic.
Absolutely awful now when one comes across the recaptcha stuff, before you know it, the page has used up 50+meg and still can't login.
Insane number of scripts coming from all over the web.

I think that little Light browser might do it, it certainly will do the odious ryanair site, maybe ff40 odd and probably definitely ff 52/56.

Sorry don't use google chrome but surely that thing will let everyone in.
I made a few spare drop in ff adrv browsers for that purpose, but fortunately, rarely have to come across the stoopid recaptcha stuff.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Damn, download sites like Suprafiles and Cloudyfiles use it. Now I need the latest browsers to download ebooks.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Managed to get the captcha challenge with my old Palemoon browser! All it needed was patience. Firstly got the small I'm no robot captcha block without the challenge (images to solve). Did nothing, after a while the captcha block refreshed and stll nothing, it then refreshed for a second time and BINGO. Got the challenge, verified and got a code to copy and paste in the empty block. Don't know if this will work on other sites. This works even if I'm not logged into my google account.

For old Opera browser. I needed to login to my google account. So I did that, clicked on the captcha block (left-side block) and got the challenge OR when at captcha page, open new tab and log into your google account, refresh the captcha page, you should be logged in without doing the challenge. :)

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Ha, glad you got in nic. Funny I was just around at a mates before.
And didn't he start banging on about the very same thing! He got in eventually as you said with patience.
Must be quite a few people having trouble with the recaptcha thing.

Ananda98

reCaptcha

#6 Post by Ananda98 »

Sometimes, I become confused with reCaptcha. Choosed correct images, but still need to retry again.
I used olf Firefox (33) on my father laptop, but it never have problem with captcha. The problem is I can't pass it hahaha

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

Pain in the neck and once again Chrome centric.

Complain to any sites using it...point out how they will be losing visitors.
Be a bigger pain than it is.

Funny thing is one place its popped up is a webmail provider for sending emails.
Now forgive me if I am thick but were not ecapchas invented to prevent spammers using contact forms and forums and harvesting emails...so why the hell have one for a site that requires a passworded login??!!

As it happens a simple number on a picture ecapcha works perfectly for our contact forms..... so why the big awkward game to do the same thing? I assume its data harvesting or a means to push someones hardware/software combination.

It also to me compromises security by forcing software and requiring more bundles of unknown javascript.

Protest or be railroaded by corporates. Up thee revolution. Down with socks etc

mike

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

Smithy, et al, FF27 or newer can handle it. Recaptcha was working fine a few weeks ago most places I have used, but appparently, something got altered.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

dropbox now doing it...though their web interface is pretty unusable anyway lol..

mike

s243a

Re: reCaptcha

#10 Post by s243a »

Ananda98 wrote:Sometimes, I become confused with reCaptcha. Choosed correct images, but still need to retry again.
I used olf Firefox (33) on my father laptop, but it never have problem with captcha. The problem is I can't pass it hahaha
I read that the pole is not part of the sign.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

s243a wrote:
Ananda98 wrote:Sometimes, I become confused with reCaptcha. Choosed correct images, but still need to retry again.
The front-end of a store may be difficult. Some maybe, some maybe not. And when does the image of a car qualify - the whole car, some of it, only a bumper.....?

Burn_IT

#12 Post by Burn_IT »

I suspect they deliberately make it awkward to up the click count.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

Duplicate

s243a

#14 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:
s243a wrote:
The front-end of a store may be difficult. Some maybe, some maybe not. And when does the image of a car qualify - the whole car, some of it, only a bumper.....?
Also; sometimes the resolution is poor on these. I pity the people with bad eye site, then again my eyes aren't the greatest.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

I suspect they deliberately make it awkward to up the click count.
ah of course clicks = ...well whatever hits gain.

I find any three random squares will do..as long as visitors go through sufficient hoops. After all its not for protecting anyone as dropbox and others claim any more than ssl changes.

Perhaps one should approach google and see if they have any marketing incentive for using them.

Now to file a repetitive strain injury claim for excessive mouse activity...

mike
Last edited by mikeb on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#16 Post by Burn_IT »

If you are going to "quote" me, please do not alter or add to my words.

A simple copy and past works???

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

oops i did just copy and paste...dont know how that crept in....seems it duplocated from my typing...certainly not intended.....
mike

Smithy

#18 Post by Smithy »

Well having a quick skim of what it's all about, Recaptcha is a software program designed to slow down the economy of the U.S.A. and by extension, every other bugger..

It does this by sapping morale and reducing man hours available to real intended tasks in the computer workplace environment.

https://threatpost.com/googles-recaptch ... in/128690/
https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/v3beta.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_von_Ahn

Automated cars crashing into semis springs to mind.

Can you knock something together for them Mike, you know, along the lines of :
1.What is the Capital of Iceland
2.What is a Water Piglet.
3.What is the purpose of Google.

Ok you are human not bot, please carry on with wtf you were trying to originally do in the first place, btw do you mind if we follow you into the login, we might have some rrreally great offers for you!

mikeb

#19 Post by mikeb »

Thanks for the chuckle.

I believe the next step would be a tee shirt campaign.....

Turns out the leaf blower at work actually sucked ...we should call it Google.

mike

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Sophisticated clickbait in effect.

It also mean users are agreeing to Google's privacy infringing terms and conditions on third party sites.... freedom of choice reducing mechanism.

And of course forcing software /system changes. ( for your protection :roll: I LOVE using IE)

If it was any other company this would be the subject of a lawsuit.
Thought I would post as this scourge of the net is spreading.

mike