Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 14 Dec 2018, 01:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
/usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash and animated gif icons?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Argolance

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2018, 11:48    Post subject:  /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash and animated gif icons?
Subject description: (slacko-6.3.0, xenialpup-7.5, stretch-7.5, tahr-6.0.5)

Bonsoir,
I wanted to test "yaf-splash" running multiple Puppies because some users reported strange behaviors. I installed slacko-6.3.0, xenialpup-7.5, stretch-7.5, tahr-6.0.5 to an USB stick and I noticed something very annoying: none of these Puppy versions that have /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash instead of the previous /usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash (with which all works properly) seem to support animated gif icons. Sometimes, huge windows are displayed as shown below.

I'm not sure about myself, but I think it is important that this be verified!

Cordialement.
yaf-splash.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.68 KB
 Viewed   402 Time(s)

yaf-splash.jpg

musher0

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2018, 13:32    Post subject:  

Allô, Argolance.

My most sincere sympathies...

IMO, in such a case, one should include the "dialog" variant that works with
one's script. This eliminates the problem of the variant in various Puppies
AND the problem of the evolution of the distro taken somewhere undesirable
by the gods.

With this approach, the Puppy gods in woof-CE Heaven can change whatever
they wish, you simple mortal developer are always providing the "dialog"
variant your script needs (hehe).

Because, as you probably know by now, one cannot change the gods' minds.
Twisted Evil

Just a thought. / Une idée comme ça.

I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Argolance

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2018, 15:51    Post subject:  

Hello musher0,
This is indeed the temporary solution I found and chose, but it is a second best solution! I think it's not a choice on the part of the designers, just a dysfunction they probably ignore and to be corrected, for the good of all puppyists.

À la tienne Étienne!
Cordialement!

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2018, 10:34    Post subject: Re: /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash and animated gif icons?
Subject description: (slacko-6.3.0, xenialpup-7.5, stretch-7.5, tahr-6.0.5)

Argolance wrote:
I noticed something very annoying: none of these Puppy versions that have /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash instead of the previous /usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash (with which all works properly) seem to support animated gif icons.
Are you suggesting that your gtkdialog-splash does support animated gif icons? Mine does not. I don't see how this would be possible as the gtkdialog-splash code sets a fixed width for the icon, which prevents the animation. Same in box_splash. Both versions share the same core code that is responsible for icon display. Both gtkdialog-splash and box_splash work fine for me in Slacko 5.6. Can't say much about the Puppy versions you mentioned.
Argolance

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2018, 16:22    Post subject:  

Bonsoir,
Thank you for your answer.
MochiMoppel wrote:
Are you suggesting that your gtkdialog-splash does support animated gif icons? Mine does not. I don't see how this would be possible as the gtkdialog-splash code sets a fixed width for the icon, which prevents the animation. Same in box_splash. Both versions share the same core code that is responsible for icon display. Both gtkdialog-splash and box_splash work fine for me in Slacko 5.6. Can't say much about the Puppy versions you mentioned.

I am asserting that Puppy Precise 5.7.3 (and ToOpPy based on it) /usr/bin/gtkdialog-splash supports animated gifs and suggesting that box_splash seems not to do so.
For example, this command works fine for me (regardless of the size of the gif image):
Code:
yaf-splash -placement top -icon "/usr/share/pixmaps/wait.gif" -text "Please wait..." -close never &

Cordialement.
181009_220109_166x68_easyshot.jpg
 Description   2 different moments of the animation...
 Filesize   3.57 KB
 Viewed   301 Time(s)

181009_220109_166x68_easyshot.jpg

Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 05:05    Post subject:  

This may be helpful to know:
I imported box_splash in my Puppy Precise 5.7.3 based system and typed this command in console:
Code:
 /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash -placement top -icon "/usr/share/pixmaps/wait.gif" -text "Please wait..." -close never &

I see that box_splash supports animated gifs too even if the icon is larger than the default size (32 pixels)! In this case, pop-up windows are truncated, in some others (see picture above) huge.
Attached image shows the same command executed twice simultaneously to let you guess the animation, the first displaying just a part of the icon, the second the entire icon (-icon_width 52).
This works as long as the /tmp/yaf-splash is linked to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3. If I delete this link, box_splash creates automatically a link to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog which is a link to gtkdialog4 and animated gifs are not supported anymore.

Cordialement.
181010_103706_474x76_easyshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   6.63 KB
 Viewed   270 Time(s)

181010_103706_474x76_easyshot.jpg

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 05:27    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
This works as long as the /tmp/yaf-splash is linked to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3. If I delete this link, box_splash creates automatically a link to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog which is a link to gtkdialog4 and animated gifs are not supported anymore..
In other words: It's not a bug?
Older Puppies like Precise kept gtkdialog3 and gtkdialog4 as 2 different gtkdialog versions. In newer Puppies gtkdialog3 is kept for backward compatibility, but only as a symlink to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog. Could well be that gtkdialog3 supported resized animated gifs.
Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 08:59    Post subject:  

Bonjour,
Quote:
In other words: It's not a bug?

Dear MochiMoppel,
Call it what you like! Wink
It is nevertheless frustrating (and I thought it was worth reporting) that the yaf-splash functionality of the Puppies mentioned above do not correctly display animated gifs, as well as truncated or oversized windows in some cases.
Quote:
Could well be that gtkdialog3 supported resized animated gifs.

The option -icon_width comes with box_splash and is not included among the options of gtkdialog-splash. And after all, why shouldn't gtkdialog4 support animated gifs while gtkdialog3 did it well?
What is the advantage and should this be ignored?

Note that I am here to understand, learn and eventually help, not to give lessons...

Cordialement.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 10:50    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
The option -icon_width comes with box_splash and is not included among the options of gtkdialog-splash.
It is included in gtkdialog-splash that came with my Slacko 5.6. If -icon_width is not set it uses a default width of 32.

Now comes the important point: The gtkdialog-splash you are referring to, the one in Precise, didn't have a default width, let alone a -icon_width option . In fact this version is so old and simple that the string "width" doesn't even appear anywhere in the script. If in gtkdialog (3 or 4 doesn't matter) a width is stipulated for a pixmap (= the icon we are talking about), an animated gif loses it's animation, even if the stipulated size is the same as the gif's original size. So the lost functionality for animated gifs is a result of the added functionality for icon size. But this already happened long ago and is not something that came with box_splash.
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 11:45    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
Attached image shows the same command executed twice simultaneously to let you guess the animation, the first displaying just a part of the icon, the second the entire icon (-icon_width 52).
This works as long as the /tmp/yaf-splash is linked to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3. If I delete this link, box_splash creates automatically a link to /usr/sbin/gtkdialog which is a link to gtkdialog4 and animated gifs are not supported anymore.

Great find, always wanted to be able to use .gif with box_splash (or gtkdialog-splash), thanks !
A workaround I found is hacking box_splash, remove the second occurance of "<width>$ICON_WIDTH</width>", so becomes instead of:
Code:
    *) icon="<pixmap width-request=\"$ICON_WIDTH\" space-expand=\"false\" space-fill=\"false\">
     <width>$ICON_WIDTH</width>

Just this:
Code:
    *) icon="<pixmap width-request=\"$ICON_WIDTH\" space-expand=\"false\" space-fill=\"false\">

But then in case of using e.g. a .png image, the resize functionality doesn't work anymore... (when using -icon_width)
So what I would do is to make separate *hacked* box_splash script with name e.g. box_splash_gif and call that for these special occasions.

Fred

Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 11:49    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
But this already happened long ago and is not something that came with box_splash.

Obviously, the "so old" gtkdialog-splash I was referring to, is the one in Precise... the important point being it does something that the next releases DO NOT. Smile
So, at the risk of sounding insistent, let me ask you again:
what is the advantage of adding a feature that cancels out another very useful one, especially if the animated icons were displayed correctly, regardless of their size? Shocked Rolling Eyes

[EDIT]
@fredx181
Sorry, our messages have crossed paths!
Quote:
So what I would do is to make separate *hacked* box_splash script with name e.g. box_splash_gif and call that for these special occasions.

As suggested at the beginning of this thread, why not bypass this inconvenience simply by using the "old" gtkdialog-splash which does the job well, unless it is the cause of other unexpected problems, the best thing being for the designers not to turn a deaf ear, take our remarks seriously and then do something to fix this "thing" that fairly bugs some honest Puppy users. Isn't it? Cool

Cordialement.

Last edited by Argolance on Wed 10 Oct 2018, 12:32; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 12:20    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
[EDIT]
@fredx181

No problem Smile
I didn't go very deep into this, but I think that gtkdialog-splash is the most focused on using e.g. .png images with resize functionality, which is not supported for .gif images to display properly.

BTW, forgot earlier to attach my .gif made with hacked box-splash (with .gif display), see below Smile

Fred
try.gif
 Description   With *hacked" box_splash
 Filesize   151.57 KB
 Viewed   209 Time(s)

try.gif

Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 12:34    Post subject:  

Quote:
[EDIT]
@fredx181

Again! Very Happy

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 13:02    Post subject:  

Argolance wrote:
Quote:
[EDIT]
@fredx181

Again! Very Happy

Ah, yes, noticed your above edited post.

Quote:
Quote:

As suggested at the beginning of this thread, why not bypass this inconvenience simply by using the "old" gtkdialog-splash which does the job well, unless it is the cause of other unexpected problems, the best thing being for the designers not to turn a deaf ear, take our remarks seriously and then do something to fix this "thing" that fairly bugs some honest Puppy users. Isn't it? Cool

Well, the (older) gtkdialog-splash I have on my system doesn't do "the job well" with .gif images.
But to be honest, I don't remember how or from where I got it, so I can't really have opinion about this issue.
Maybe it's possible to have support for resizeable images and also make .gif images display correctly, but... will be difficult, I guess.

Fred

Argolance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2018, 13:27    Post subject:  

This is the Puppy Precise 5.7.3 gtkdialog-splash, to be renamed without the gz extension, the one that "does the job" and may be used as stand alone script, renamed otherwise so as not to conflict with the one with the same name in /usr/bin directory which refers to box_splash.
Isn't it, sometimes, in old pots that the best soup is made? Smile
Quote:
Maybe it's possible to have support for resizeable images and also make .gif images display correctly, but... will be difficult, I guess.

Why could it be so difficult?
With a little goodwill, anything is possible!
gtkdialog-splash.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  gtkdialog-splash.gz 
Filesize  6.97 KB 
Downloaded  62 Time(s) 

Page 1 of 4 [54 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: