Rox thumbnail for video files as well as jpeg

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
Argolance

#16 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
I had done the same thing on ToOpPy, without however needing to install zero-injector (which seems to be useful only to get ROX-Lib2) but by installing python-gtk, mplayer (which is used to generate video thumbnails - might be Totem) simply from the PPM and manually copying ROX-Lib2 to /usr/lib.

I had also found two small Rox applications (usr/local/apps) allowing to install type handlers, manage MIME types and thumbnails cache directories. As far as I know, this works fine running Puppy Precise and TahrPup but don't with Puppy Stretch and probably some other recent Puppies: python complains about some deprecated stuffs but I am sure this could be easily updated by a python connoisseur! Obviously, these 2 Rox applications (video_thumbs-181116.pet) can be executed directly from Rox: right click on an empty area of a Rox window/Options/Thumbnails...

Cordialement.
Attachments
video_thumbs-181116.pet
+ desktop MENU entry file.
(76.58 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
181117_164013_618x656_easyshot.jpg
(86.09 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
181117_160353_761x255_easyshot.jpg
(116.55 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Last edited by Argolance on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

ITSMERSH

#17 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Argolance.

The Image 181117_164013_618x656_easyshot.jpg shows Tooppy Linux multiple times in background of the Rox filer window.

I would like to add such to my Puppy, so would you please let us know, how did you get this?

Argolance

#18 Post by Argolance »

ITSMERSH wrote:I would like to add such to my Puppy, so would you please let us know, how did you get this?
:arrow: http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/181

ITSMERSH

#19 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks.

Gave it a quick shot, using /root/.gtkrc.mine to define the background image for Rox filer window.

Worked immediately! :)

Now need to refine the image for a permanent version...
Attachments
Screenshot-2018-11-18-03-00-21.jpg
(43.88 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

mikeslr

Works under Xenialpup64

#20 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Argolance,

Thanks for the pet. I followed your instructions from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 11#1010411. prior to installation pfind indicated that python-gtk was already present --whether builtin or added by something I had already installed. I also installed ROX-Lib2 from link ITSMERSH provided. IIRC, there were several builds. I chose the latest which, BTW, was 9 years old. It's packaged as a Rox-App*, but contains only python files*. As such, it is "no-arch". Similarly, your pet also does not contain binaries or libraries --just python files and files relating to them. Consequently, once the dependencies are met your app should run under both 32 and 64 bit systems. At any rate, it ran under Xenialpup64.

I did, however, have to install mplayer via Xenialpup64's Puppy Package Manager. [With dependencies (2?) it weighed in at less than 1 Mb].

Puppies not using Rox. From experience, I know that applications packaged as Rox-Apps can be used in the absence of Rox by clicking or calling its "executable". And while I suspect that python "modules" packaged as Rox-Apps could be used I don't know enough about python to even guess how.

ITSMERSH

#21 Post by ITSMERSH »

It's packaged as a Rox-App*, but contains only python files*.
When I started to examine the RoxApps (to create my RoxApp-Builder) the ones I found around the forum all had a AppRun shell script.

Much later I discovered the RoxApp section for the Rox filer - and all of them (which I downloaded and tested) included a AppRun python script. Seems to be generally used in the Rox Filer's provided RoxApps.

I like the RoxApps very much and my current RoxApp I'm working on, has code to rebuild itself, to have right-click menus for all Projects, local and online Manuals, WAV & MP3 mixed down etc.pp. to access.