Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Oct 2018, 08:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Something strange on Youtube/Google/Gmail
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 16:59    Post subject:  Something strange on Youtube/Google/Gmail  

Hi.

I have a You tube account (my signature) which was created using the equal email address used for my RSH account on this here forum. I couldn't log into the RSH account and since requesting a new forum password didn't work, I tried to register by a different mail address.

So, I created and chose a mail address at gmail.com to register again to the forum. This didn't work - so far, so known by a few of you members.

I discovered lately: after creating this gmail account, my login into Youtube changed from that RSH mail address to the gmail address. Even though I did NOT register anywhere else, I'm now able to upload Pictures/Images to Google (via the Google Apps popup menu), and am also able to share them and/or to keep them private. Shocked

I don't understand this. Anyone any clue of what happened?

Is there some more I'm, registered to by now?

6502coder

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 18:34    Post subject:  

When you signed up for a Gmail account, you were assimilated into the Google universe, and since Google owns YouTube, your Gmail account became associated with YouTube.

I have had a similar experience. Before Google acquired YouTube, I had a non-Gmail mail account that I used to log into YouTube. Sometime after Google acquired YouTube, I got a Gmail mail account and now I can use both my non-Gmail mail account and my Gmail account to log into YouTube.
mikeb

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 19:23    Post subject:  

Yes thats what they do ever since they bought you tube...did something similar to me many years ago but was the password. It seemed like it was done through cookies at the time...so if it had been a shared computer then that would have been fun as my password would have been given to someone else's you tube account

I closed our Youtube and later Gmail account.... they are not safe or respectful in how they handle private data basically.

mike
greengeek

PostPosted: Today, at 02:35    Post subject:  

All HTML5 enabled browsers permit Google to snipe any/all of your personal information.

Any time you access a Google owned site (eg YT) or any Google-Analytics associated site your cookies and personal data are passed to Google.

They choose to use dark patterns to then force you to use their preferred login methods to access YT and other Google offerings.

I tried to log into YT using a friends original email address (associated with their YT channel) and it kept trying to force me to reveal (or connect with) their gmail or Facebook identity.

I did not do so (as I did not have their permission to do so) and then I used the browser "back" button to see if there were other alternatives - then lo and behold - it jumped me into their YT page (presumably suddenly deciding to accept the previously supplied non-Gmail address).

If i had accepted the myopic path Google put before me I would have signed in with the Gmail or Facebook account requested - however - Google did (somehow) actually permit me to ignore their dark pattern.

They just seem creepy these days - only slightly paranoid minds (like mine Smile ) are permitted freedom of choice.

Normal people trying to do what's normal get abused by Googles mirages.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: