Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Nov 2018, 10:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I get Pulse Audio to work in BionicPup64?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 22:00    Post subject:  

DustyPixel wrote:

mikeslr -
How do I get the 32 bit file for Bionicpup64, and how large is the file?

Hi DustyPixel,

You can obtain the 32-bit compatibiity SFS by opening Menu>Setup>quickpet bionic, and from the GUI which opens, Left-Click the "Useful" tab, then scroll down to the 32-bit Compatibiity SFS listing and click it to download. If it doesn't directly download to /mnt/home, move it there. To load it, Right-Click it and select SFS-Load from the popup menu. Once it's loaded, remember to open a terminal and type, without the quotes, "ldconfig" > the first letter is a "small EL". It should take some time to configure itself. Don't forget to preform a Save.

The file is 163 Mbs. But that's the amount of hard-drive space it occupies. Not all of that will be loaded into RAM, in fact, very little of it. What Frugal Puppies do is to load only immediately necessary files into RAM and create in RAM "pointers" to where the rest of an applications files can be found. The other files are only loaded into RAM as and when they are needed.
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2018, 23:38    Post subject:  

mikeslr -
As I told Mike Walsh in an earlier post on this thread:
'Unfortunately, I ran into a bit of a snag when installing Wex. I installed xterm and the PET, then tried to install the 32-bit_compat_libs package from Quickpet.
The problem is that I'm running Bionicpup64 as a live CD, without a 'save' partition.
In SFS downloader it displays several suitable partitions to save the SFS - and they're all on the hard drive. I tried a few anyway (since it can be moved if necessary) and kept getting error messages.'
I wanted to try Wex out before making a remastered CD but there doesn't seem to be a practical way to do that, unless I can make a new partition that won't trigger an error message. When I have time I'll make a CD with a save file and try again.
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:02    Post subject:  

Hello mikeslr -

I apologize - I should have been more specific. What I meant to ask was, is there another way to get the 32-bit compatibility file, maybe from the Linux archives on ibiblio or Internet Archive? I thought if maybe I could find another source from which to download it to the hard drive I could avoid any error messages or other issues.
I tried again today with Quickpet, but this time I mounted the drive I wanted to download the 32-bit file to first. Interestingly, I managed to get past the initial error screen and brought up the SFS downloader host site screen. I clicked on every single host site option and got the same error message every time:
Tested if remote file exists but failed - see top log left of screen. The log indicated 'no such directory'. I tried Test URL on each option and got the message: Remote file exists and could contain further links but recursion is disabled - not retrieving.
I have an active internet connection, I have no problem updating and using PPM, and I always make sure to check for Bionicpup Updates, so I don't understand what the issue is.
perdido

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:35    Post subject:  

DustyPixel wrote:

. What I meant to ask was, is there another way to get the 32-bit compatibility file, maybe from the Linux archives on ibiblio or Internet Archive? I thought if maybe I could find another source from which to download it to the hard drive I could avoid any error messages or other issues.

From the 1st post of the bionic64 thread link to sources, etc.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/bionicpup/

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov 2018, 20:22    Post subject:  

It's a little late in the game to ask this, but do you really need PulseAudio?

Puppies work great with their built-in Alsa. Unless I'm mistaken, so does BionicPup64. Although BionicPup64's builtin simplescreenrecorder offers the option to use PulseAudio, it also has the option to use Alsa. See attachment. The designation can be changed by pressing the down-key next to it.

Many Pup-Applications are built using the binaries, libraries and configuration files created for use under Ubuntu, [or debian, or slackware]. Especially Ubuntu includes in its operating system components which are 'resource-hungry', such as PulseAudio. Puppies are designed to accomplish the same tasks employing fewer resources --smaller 'foot-print', quicker speed. Puppies use files built for, say Ubuntu, because doing so usually reduces an the time it takes to create a working application --its components don't have to be compiled from source-- and eliminates the obligation to maintain Webspace to store it, and provide bandwidth to convey it. But unless the application is substantially modified NOT TO OFFER choices which won't function 'out-of-the-box', such application's GUI may suggest a choice which doesn't already exist.

As I see it, the task you want to accomplish is to record your desktop including the sound being transmitted. But to do that, you seem to have gotten yourself into building a "Rube Goldberg Machine".

If my understanding of your objective is correct, and simplescreenrecorder with Alsa set as the sound device doesn't do that, you should post about that failure on the BionicPup64 thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311 so that 666philb and other familiar with that OS can make corrections.

Another 64-bit Application which doesn't require PulseAudio is XVidcap. Although the following version was developed for FatDog64, it's run under any 64-bit Puppy I've tried. Links from this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=876222#876222 or Mike Walsh's repackaging here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=997354#997354 However, I haven't tried to record sound. See this post for instructions, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=964945#964945 Or you might want to ask about that -- perhaps Mike Walsh.
simplescreenrecorder with Alsa.png
 Description   
 Filesize   54.66 KB
 Viewed   209 Time(s)

simplescreenrecorder with Alsa.png

DustyPixel

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 12:58    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr -

I have used several versions of Puppy over the last couple of years and I have never been able to get sound working in the SSR configuration screen with Alsa without a cable, no matter which audio source option I choose for it. I usually resort to turning on the closed captions on a video and recording it that way.
According to Maarten Baert:
'To my knowledge, there is no reliable way to record the speakers in ALSA except by physically connecting the line out/headphone jack to the line in/microphone jack with a cable. It's primitive but it works very well, you just have to adjust the recording level in 'alsamixer' to get the volume right. You should also disable 'auto mute' if your speakers become muted when you plug in the cable.'
I have tried this, but it's inconvenient to have to manually reset and test the volume levels by recording a few seconds of video, changing volume levels, recording again, adjusting again, for each video before I record the whole thing. It's frustrating when there are other screen recorder programs that don't require that step.
SSR seems to be configured more for JACK or Pulse audio, and I've used it with Pulse in Lubuntu Xenial Xerus, that's why I was asking if there is a way to use it with Pulse in Puppy. If I could use Alsa instead, I'm fine with that, it's just a matter of getting the sound to work without additional inconvenience. It doesn't have to be SSR either, I just got accustomed to using it in Xenial Xerus.
I may mention this on the Bionicpup64 thread, but considering what Maarten Baert stated, I'm not sure there's really any other solution (for SSR) than using a cable.

Last edited by DustyPixel on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 16:26; edited 2 times in total
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 14:44    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr:

I downloaded the 32-bit SFS from ibiblio (thanks to perdido), saved it to mnt/home, right clicked, started SFS-load, then typed ldconfig in the terminal screen - and nothing happened, just got another root#.
Suggestions?

Last edited by DustyPixel on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 18:47; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 18:59    Post subject:  

EDIT: Found a copy of the newer 0.8.18 version of my weX dotpet. It contains a few minor fixes compared to the 0.8.17 version described in the following explanation text. Best therefore to use the 0.8.18 one (though either will work and the scrox version below is fine). You'll find original wex 0.8.18 dotpet attached to bottom of this post.

As Mike Walsh said above, he has kindly made an All-In-One dotpet for weX. I haven't actually tried that but presume the versions of ffmpeg and scrox he used in that were for 32bit systems only. However, a standard weX install doesn't need 32bit compatibility libs since works on 64bit systems directly. I did create a 0.8.18 version of weX, which had a few very minor documentation fixes compared to 0.8.17 version. For some reason, my links to the individual 0.8.18 version components are no longer appearing at wiak post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989694#989694. I'll sort that out, but in the meantime, the previous 0.8.17 version should work fine on BionicPup64 as explained below:

For standard weX installation, you need two dotpets from the following original (mcewanw) weX thread at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=918785#918785

and also a working version of ffmpeg on your system.

No 32bit compatibility system is required to run weX since,

wex dotpet itself works on either 32bit or 64bit systems (since it is only a bash shell script).
For 64bit system you need the 64bit compiled version of scrox.

1. wex-0.8.17.pet
The download link for that wex dotpet is: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=101058
EDIT: Use the attached wex-0.8.18 dotpet instead (though either 0.8.17 or 0.8.18 version should work).

and

2. scrox-0.8.17_64bit.pet

The download link for that 64bit scrox dotpet is: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=101053

3. You also need recent ffmpeg installed on your system. Best would be 64bit ffmpeg from Ubuntu Bionic 64 repositories, so if not already installed in BionicPup64 then get it via PetGet Package Manager presumably. Sorry, I don't myself currently have BionicPup64 installed to check if ffmpeg comes with it by default; else surely available via PetGet Package Manager.

Finally, your system does need to have libgiblib and libimlib2 libraries installed, but as Mike Walsh says these are already in most Pups. (EDIT: Search for giblib, NOT libgiblib, to find it in PPM Package Manager).

The above weX installation does not specifically need xterm installed. It should work with either:

rxvt, urxvt, xterm, aterm, or uxterm.

Let me know if the above works for you and, if not, I'll install BionicPup64 and try and find any issue you later describe. Please also note that if alsa doesn't work for you, weX will also work with pulse audio, but there is a text documentation bug in the 0.8.17 version of weX when it comes to using pulse - the correct way to get weX working with pulse is explained in the first few sentences of the original main thread post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=918785#918785.

wiak
wex-0.8.18.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  wex-0.8.18.pet 
Filesize  34.5 KB 
Downloaded  15 Time(s) 

Last edited by wiak on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 21:39; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 19:33    Post subject:  

@ wiak:-

Thanks for the clarification, Will. I couldn't get Wex working in Xenial64 when I tried it a wee while back, but I'll follow your instructions, and see if it'll behave itself this time round.

Will report back.

Oh, and while I've got you here, let me ask you something. I presume that Fred's gifenc-sel is a script, too, so I'm guessing I could run up a 64-bit version simply by needing the 64-bit version of scrox, yes?

I'd probably need to reconstruct things a bit anyway; the 'all-in-one' uses the Wex AppImage Fred threw together.....and that's 32-bit only.

The Devil finds work for idle hands, doesn't he? Laughing

Mike. Wink

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov 2018, 20:05    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:

Oh, and while I've got you here, let me ask you something. I presume that Fred's gifenc-sel is a script, too, so I'm guessing I could run up a 64-bit version simply by needing the 64-bit version of scrox, yes?

Yes, gifenc-sel is just a script so not an issue itself on either 32 or 64 bit systems. Similarly weX just a script. However, for running weX on 64bit system need both the 64bit version of scrox and a 64bit version of ffmpeg (gifenc-sel also uses that ffmpeg to do its work).
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018, 15:04    Post subject:  

Hello wiak -

I followed the instructions and installed wex-0.8.18 and scrox-0.8.17-64 bit. When you wrote 'libgiblib' did you mean 'giblib1', the package you mentioned in one of the links you provided? I couldn't find a 'libgiblib' in PPM or pfile so I installed giblib1.
libimlib2 is already installed, as is ffmpeg_3.4.4, which I assume by default is 64 bit.
When I clicked on weX in the multimedia menu, the mini-window appeared at the top of the screen. When I clicked on the button to open the configuration window, the small window vanished and nothing else appeared. I tried again, the same thing happened and still no configuration window. Didn't go to the tray, just vanished. It doesn't disappear when I click on record or stop or pause. It does when I click quit, so all the other buttons are working.
I am using Bionicpup64-7.9.5. uefi.
wiak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018, 17:17    Post subject:  

DustyPixel wrote:
I tried again, the same thing happened and still no configuration window. Didn't go to the tray, just vanished. It doesn't disappear when I click on record or stop or pause. It does when I click quit, so all the other buttons are working.
I am using Bionicpup64-7.9.5. uefi.

I'm looking into it just now. Could you see if previous version from download thread (wex-0.8.17) has same problem. Before installing wex-0.8.17.pet alternative you must remember to delete old /root/.wex folder manually.

Cheers, wiak
DustyPixel

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018, 18:26    Post subject:  

Hello wiak -

The same thing is happening with wex-0.8.17.pet.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018, 19:13    Post subject:  

Wiak/Mike/Dusty/all:-

Y'know, I don't understand this at all. Mikeslr's getting this gtk-dialog error in Xenial64, despite installing the same stuff I'm using. Yet for me, it's working like a dream.

What gives? Or is this some weird difference between desktops and laptops? I know more Puppians use lappies than they do desktops; it's the size/convenience thing.

Clarify something for me. What exactly is the gtk-dialog 'error' Mike's getting? (I know he says it's a syntax error in one of the scripts, but I'm using that exact same script myself.....so why the difference, hmm?)

No makee sense, kiddiwinks.

Mike. Confused

wiak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018, 20:11    Post subject:  

I have found the problem... (as far as getting wex working on XenialPup64 - hopefully same for BionicPup64 which I don't have - let me know)

Just install pupradio, and all will be fine. Alternative solution and explanation below:

It was a bit tricky to track down.

There is nothing wrong with wex 0.8.18 script except that I forgot to include the case of no available Other Utilities being available on the system.

To get it working, all you need to do is to install one of the user-listed Other Utilities, then wex will find it and all will be well... (I'll modify wex someday soonish - a proper fix is simple - to not care if utility is available or not, but for now, please just install one of the utilities in the user list, such as pupradio - you'll want extra user utilities buttons anyway!).

For example:

Open the text file /root/.wex/user_utilities in geany, and note the current User editable "Other Utilities" listed. Change any one of these to some utility you have on your system (e.g. mplayer or mpv or install one of the items in existing list, such as pupradio, or change utility name to something else you have).

i.e.

Code:
# User editable "Other Utilities" list (note well that utilities 08 thru to 11 DO NOT have the path/file to process passed to them as an argument):
export wex_utility08="gnome-mplayer"
export wex_utility09="vlc"
export wex_utility10="dogradio"
export wex_utility11="pupradio"

i.e. Install pupradio on your system or edit the above part of that user-editable file to name appropriate system installed utility and save. Then run wex (you may need to run it a second time for it to fix previous erased ~/.wex/wexrc config file (or copy the permanent /etc/wex/wexrc file into /root/.wex/wexrc before starting wex after above fixes.

By the way, the reason (since otherwise seems mysterious...) the gtkdialog error occurs (without above change) is that with no Other Utility at all found by wex script the gtkdialog code automatically ends up with:

Code:
<hbox>
</hbox>

at that part of the code (but with no content between that hbox and /hbox, which is not valid in gtkdialog, sorry. With any utility as listed available (and thus found by wex when it checks) it ends up with that code being automatically inserted between these tags by wex itself, and all is then fine. Like I said, was a bit tricky (unexpected) to track down.

Any other problems, let me know.

wiak
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: