Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 14 Dec 2018, 02:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
reCAPTCHA v3, Buster, Cloudhole and Privacy Pass
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
labbe5

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018, 21:41    Post subject:  reCAPTCHA v3, Buster, Cloudhole and Privacy Pass
Subject description: to make captchas less frustrating on the Internet

https://threatpost.com/google-updates-recaptcha-no-more-boxes-to-check/138669/

Google this week has rolled out its latest version of the reCAPTCHA mechanism, which is meant to weed out spam and abuse by robots on websites. It marks a dramatic departure from previous reCAPTCHA efforts by eliminating the need for visitors to take any extra steps in order to log onto a website or proceed past a homepage.

reCAPTCHA v3 aims to further reduce user-experience “friction” when visiting sites, by using behavioral analysis to return a score for each visitor that determines how suspicious an interaction is. Websites can then use this to make a decision about whether or not to allow the visitor to continue onto the site without a challenge.

You may have noted that when taking steps to be truly anonymous on the Web, you are frequently presented with captcha to solve, such as when using Tor and Privoxy together. It is annoying. Privacy Pass addon for Firefox helps, but ...

Further reading :
https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-launches-recaptcha-v3-that-detects-bad-traffic-without-user-interaction/
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/11/01/google-sign-ins-will-require-javascript-soon/

Last edited by labbe5 on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 15:36; edited 2 times in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2018, 08:49    Post subject:  

Google Rechapcha has never had anything to do with preventing spamming/bots etc since it is hardly ever seen in situations where that would happen anyway...eg a contact form or forum. It is purely an additional way to harvest browsing habits and/or click accumulation for sites to use to sell ad space so the latest move simply confirms that this is its real purpose.
Humorously enough recent examples seem to ONLY work on IE in the library...even the glorious chrome could not handle them.

mike
catsezmoo

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 21:59    Post subject:  

mikeb, I can't understand how you arrived at that conclusion. The recaptcha service offered by google is implemented by individual website operators, whenever/wherever they choose to do so. You're saying "has nothing to do with preventing spambots", but that's the only context I've ever seen it applied (to provide an interstitial page guarding against bots filling in webforms).

"additional way to harvest browsing habits and/or click accumulation for sites to use to sell ad space".

Check your facts. A webmaster's use of recaptcha doesn't necessitate ad placement on the page where it's displayed.

At some point, I vaguely recall reading an article at the official google blog which mentioned (divulged) ways they were putting to use the signals gained from folks interacting with recaptcha. One use was toward training/refining AI image recognition algorithms, another use was investigating the effect(s) of colorblindness.

Harvest browsing habits? Yes, absolutely. Thanks (sarcastically, I actually mean "no thanks") to presence of an embedded recaptcha, google gains awareness of my (my IP address, browser's user-agent string) activity each time my browser loads such a page. For that reason, and because self-hosted captcha mechanisms are freely available (in the form of a WP plugin, or equivalent) I resent finding reCaptcha embedded in the sites I visit.
tallboy

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov 2018, 22:37    Post subject:  

I actually made a complaint about the use and behaviour of reCaptcha to manualslib.com, because my PaleMoon 27.9.4 in Lucid could not make it work at all. When I tried to download some free manuals today, the reCaptcha was gone, but I unfortunately got an eternally spinning spinner instead... Sad
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2018, 07:31    Post subject:  

Hmm spambot to me does things like try to post links on forums and contact forms or similar activity...a simple human verification mechanism (a true capcha) solves the problem...I have yet to see googles ecapcha used for such purposes.
Dropbox have added it to its login form.... yet only the user with his or her passord would get in there anyway and then what.... but thats hacking which is another matter altogether.

Spambot = automated spamming = unwanted links and ads.

Am I missing something?

Only my excessive web experience and running a multitude of websites are involved in my posts on this.

mike
tallboy

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov 2018, 19:54    Post subject:  

The problem is that there are two captchas in the market, one very good, and Google's - which is crap!But their dominance in other segments unfortunately make their customers choose reCaptcha.
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:40    Post subject:  

I think this requires a tee shirt campaign Very Happy

I want googles thing to go away....

Designs welcome for the print.
mike
tallboy

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov 2018, 15:59    Post subject:  

Here is an overview of all captchas: https://captcha.org/

Here is a good one: https://captcha.com/
Contains some interesting info on the Google version.

labbe5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec 2018, 15:33    Post subject: Buster, Cloudhole and Privacy Pass
Subject description: helping you solve captchas when using Tor and/or VPN

Buster: Captcha Solver for Humans

Buster is not the first extension of its kind. Cloudhole was released in 2016 for Firefox to make Cloudflare captchas less painful; Cloudflare launched Privacy Pass in 2017 to limit the number of captchas displayed to users, and Google launched reCaptcha v3 in 2018 to switch to a captcha system that required no user interaction.
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/12/buster-promises-to-solve-captchas-automatically/
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: