Xenialpup full install died; now the computer won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
Usermatt

Xenialpup full install died; now the computer won't boot

#1 Post by Usermatt »

Installed (full install whole partition hd) xenialpup and loved it. Then, it froze, and I can't boot anything. I don't have a CD rom drive. Just usb. Android phone with 16g sd card. Any way to format the sd card and make it bootable from Android? I have the attachment to put the sd card in (usb). My other option would be to order a usb stick and be without until it arrives. Oh, if there is an android way, please explain it to me like I'm 5 years old because I have a headache trying to figure this out while having no computer knowledge.

Ps. My CD rom drive was working when I installed pup originally. My dog broke it. I guess he was trying to install something without asking...

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Does your computer screen work at all now?

If it quit working completely it could just be the computer memory chips need to be re-seated (pulled out and re-plugged in)

Usermatt

Re

#3 Post by Usermatt »

I will try that.
I gave it a break for awhile and tried booting and now im on a linux mint screen. It's asking me for a password for "oem configuration" ....
I've tried everything today. Lol.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Then, it froze, and I can't boot anything.
The above posting statement seems to prove this statement wrong.

What exact version of Xenialpup?
What boot loader are you using to boot the hard drive?

What kind of computer is this?

What now happens when you try to boot Xenialpup?
Specific details.
You do what?
You see what?

We only know what you tell us.
You are our eyes!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Brown Mouse

Re: Black screen

#5 Post by Brown Mouse »

Usermatt wrote:Installed (full install whole partition hd) xenialpup and loved it. Then, it froze, and I can't boot anything. I don't have a CD rom
That was your first mistake making a full install.
Puppy is best run using a Frugal install.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Usermatt. And Image to 'the kennels'.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Brown Mouse.

Unless your machine is really old, and very underpowered (i.e., a very small quantity of RAM, and/or something like a Pentium2/3 CPU), you didn't actually gain anything at all by doing a 'full' install.

Mind you, it's an understandable mistake to make. There's been much debate in recent years about the wisdom of continuing with the terms 'full install' & 'frugal install'. A 'full install' is comprehensible; the install occupies the full partition that it's installed to. To the uninitiated, it sounds a far better bet than a 'frugal' install.....which, to the layman, sounds like a kind of apologetic 'poor man's' version of the 'full install', like as not with a cut-down complement of software.

It's one of those things that needs clarifying, and really needs explaining in more detail on the main website; that way, potential new users will be in full possession of the facts before making a decision as to the best way to proceed with installing Puppy.

a) The 'full' install, as stated, occupies the whole of its partition.

b) The 'frugal' install, on the other hand, can actually be installed to a folder/directory, thus enabling multiple Puppies to be installed to a single partition.....an entirely feasible proposition with Puppy, which is tiny compared to the mainstream distros like Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, etc .

--------------------------------

Puppy was designed to load fully into, and run completely from RAM memory for the duration of the session. This mainly accounts for its amazing speed (compared to conventional distros/other OSs), even on old hardware.....because RAM is the fastest component of any computer.

The only machines that benefit from the traditional 'full' install are those elderly boxes dating from the time when relatively small quantities of RAM were supplied with 'puters. For these machines, there isn't sufficient RAM to load Puppy into, thus Puppy isn't able to run the way it should. In this instance, your machine will run in the 'conventional' mode, pulling data from the hard drive into RAM only as and when it's needed.

For RAM-challenged machines, this approach is actually more efficient.....but they are not able to take advantage of many of Pup's best features, which are built with the 'frugal' install in mind.

So long as your box has at least 1 GB of RAM, the 'frugal' install is recommended.....and from that start, the 'Puppy' world is your oyster!

Any questions, feel free to fire away. Just try to refrain from asking too many questions in the one post, please; it gets too confusing for everyone to follow if you do. It's better to make a separate post for each issue that you have; this way, we can concentrate more on the subject at hand...

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Usermatt,

Mike Walsh is correct -- but "Frugally" installing Xenialpup is the 2nd step. The first step is how do we --you being the eyes and hands, the rest of us giving advice-- get Xenialpup back on your computer. Someone else may want to provide advice as to how to get your Full Install to work. I'm not: Frugals are easy to fix, and easy to install. Broken Full Installs are almost impossible to fix. Hence, one of the reasons for Mike Walsh's advice.

But to provide any advice, we --the rest of us on the Forum-- have to know what we are dealing with. And the information you've provided is limited and confusing:

Were you able to boot into Linux Mint? Which Linux Mint? Can Linux Mint access your Android phone's SD card as a storage Medium?

What make and model of computer? Does it have a USB-port?

Afterthought but Important: Can't boot into Xenialpup & Linux Mint is asking for OEM configuration. Does this suggest a problem with the computer's bootloader? Does anyone know how to test/fix/replace?