PupSlider slideshow creator

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
greengeek

#16 Post by greengeek »

Mike Walsh wrote:Anybody who might be interested in trying these newer builds, you can find 'em here.:
Interesting - thanks Mike. I had not realised that replacing ffmpeg was as simple as dropping in a new one.

I just gave it a try (using the 32bit build) but the result was not quite as good on my Slacko 5.6 as the original ffmpeg.

The original ffmpeg is 150KB versus 30MB for the new ffmpeg so I will definitely stick with the old one.

The difference in the output mp4 was as follows:

old ffmpeg: slight delay at beginning of slideshow, with slight truncation of duration of the first image. Otherwise perfect

new ffmpeg: long delay at beginning of slideshow, extra long display of first image, but last image completely missing.

The new ffmpeg did give a better adherence to the image duration parameter specified by the user (old ffmpeg was a bit quicker per image)

In case anyone feels like playing around I have attached the ffmpeg from Slacko 5.6
It is a real gzipped file so click to expand, and install in /usr/bin (rename original version first)

EDIT : As fredx noted below ffmpeg is usually teamed with a specific set of libs so trialling just a new ffpmeg file on it's won't always be of any use. Best to stick with the ffmpeg that comes with your own puppy (or trial a "static linked" version). I will keep trying Pupslider on a variety of puppies and will try to release appropriate versions as reqd.
Attachments
ffmpeg.gz
Real gzipped file. FFMPEG from Slacko 5.6
(Other libs probably required - see fredx comments below)
(69.15 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Last edited by greengeek on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 15:16, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

Different puppies use different versions of ffmpeg so require different syntax within the Pupslider script. I will try to provide appropriate versions of Pupslider for different puppies as I complete testing.

Here is a version of Pupslider for Wary 5.2.2
(May work on some other "mid range" pups too)

Here is the (truncated) info re ffmpeg version in Wary 522:

Code: Select all

# ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version git-2011-10-01-78f08c0, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Oct  2 2011 07:10:53 with gcc 4.3.4
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --cpu=i486 --enable-shared --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --disable-ffplay --enable-x11grab --disable-network --enable-small --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfaac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib --enable-postproc --disable-debug --enable-bzlib --enable-version3 --enable-libtheora --enable-swscale
  libavutil    51. 18. 0 / 51. 18. 0
  libavcodec   53. 19. 0 / 53. 19. 0
  libavformat  53. 13. 0 / 53. 13. 0
  libavdevice  53.  4. 0 / 53.  4. 0
  libavfilter   2. 43. 6 /  2. 43. 6
  libswscale    2.  1. 0 /  2.  1. 0
  libpostproc  51.  2. 0 / 51.  2. 0
# 
(Wary 522 mplayer seems to give a brief "green glitch" during playback but I had no visual artefacts when playing the video back on other puppies - please report any issues noted. Thx!)

PLEASE: make sure that the images in the input directory are COPIES of your files. Keep the originals safe somewhere else
Attachments
pupslidergui_wary522.v0.02.gz
Remove fake .gz suffix then place in /root and make executable
(20.98 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
Last edited by greengeek on Tue 09 Jul 2019, 19:03, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#18 Post by fredx181 »

greengeek wrote:The original ffmpeg is 150KB versus 30MB for the new ffmpeg so I will definitely stick with the old one.
In case anyone feels like playing around I have attached the ffmpeg from Slacko 5.6
Just for info, the 150KB ffmpeg depends on:
libavdevice.so.55
libavfilter.so.3
libavformat.so.55
libavcodec.so.55
libpostproc.so.52
libswresample.so.0
libswscale.so.2
libavutil.so.52
EDIT: And much more (I just found out, when trying to make it work), e.g. libx264, libvorbis, libtheora, libxvidcore etc...

So you need to have these installed to make it work.
It's sort of comparing apples with oranges because this small ffmpeg is dynamically linked and the 30MB ffmpeg has all these libraries included (statically linked).
(but still probably the Slacko ffmpeg is a lot smaller though (when counting the size of the files all together ).

Fred

gabtech

pupslder

#19 Post by gabtech »

Hi, which pupslider works in bionic64. I've tried the ones in this thread but the imageout fold is always empty. Also attached screenshot for terminal output when I run this command ./pupslider_0.07.
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
(121.32 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Screenshot.png
(155.32 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

greengeek

Re: pupslder

#20 Post by greengeek »

gabtech wrote:Hi, which pupslider works in bionic64. I've tried the ones in this thread but the imageout fold is always empty.
Hi gabtech, thanks for the bug report.

I have just downloaded bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso from the following link:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Bionicpup64
and it seems to work properly. Does that bionicpup match the one you were testing?

I used the file pupslider_gui_v0.07.gz which is available in this post (from page 1 of this thread):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 52#1010343
(have to remove the fake .gz suffix and make executable)

I noticed that it did seem to take quite a long time to populate the imagesout directory. Are you able to try it again but leave it a couple of minutes to see if the images appear in imagesout?

My test was with 6 images and I saw a delay that I have not seen on other pups so i will do more testing to measure this.

If you had multiple images it may simply not have got through the processing phase. Maybe try again with just a few images.

Unfortunately I don't know what that terminal output is trying to tell us.

Were there any other files or directories inside your image source directory? Maybe I need to add some error handling for non expected formats or something.

Hmm, i see that i forgot to update the version number in the title bar of gui 0.07

EDIT : I just retested and can see that the timing is not exactly right (and first image duplicated) so I ned to get a couple of issues sorted but the basic code does seem to be working...
Attachments
pupslider_gui_ok_bionicpup64.jpg
(74.09 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

greengeek

#21 Post by greengeek »

Attached is a version tested on Bionicpup64.
(I tidied up the problem with duplicate first image)
Still a minor issue with timing difference between first couple of images but otherwise seems to be working fine.

Remove fake .gz and then make executable

PLEASE: make sure that the images in the input directory are COPIES of your files. Keep the originals safe somewhere else
Attachments
pupslider_gui64_v0.08.gz
(18.42 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

gabtech

pupslder

#22 Post by gabtech »

Thanks greengeek for the feedback. Did as you suggested and pupslider worked fine. I

gabtech

Pupslider

#23 Post by gabtech »

Hi greengeek. I don't like the black frame in the videos, how do I remove it?

greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

Let me describe a bit about the frame padding:

Pupslider changes the size of the images to meet the output resolution that the user selects as the best match for their display device.

This output device could be a projector, a TV, a laptop or something like one of those little photo display screens - all of these have fixed display ratios.

However in many cases the source photos will be different shapes - I had to deal with old square Polaroid photos, newspaper clippings, hand-drawn images etc etc. You can imagine how difficult it is to get a square Polaroid displaying on a widescreen laptop without some sort of padding or frame.

If there was no frame around the image you would either see the desktop background around the edges of the image, or else the image would have to be stretched to exactly match the resolution of the display screen.

You could avoid this problem by manually manipulating every image so that it matched a specific resolution. ie: if your original image was square (like an old polaroid) you could crop it and/or stretch it to fit onto a widescreen laptop (eg 1280x800) and have no border or frame. However, this would be a very time consuming task and the results are often unsatisfactory. Too much cropping etc.

So some sort of "padding" around the image is a requirement unless the user chooses to manually manipulate every image.

The question is - can this padding be another colour? Or can it be transparent?

I don't know the answer off the cuff so I will see what I can find out. Maybe I can add a colour selector somehow.

Here is another suggestion:

Pupslider allows you to select the size of the padding but starts with a value of zero. What that means is that where the image resolution does not match the output resolution some padding will only be added on the two sides that don't fit exactly. (and zero on the other two sides)

So let's say that you have chosen 640x480 output resolution and your photo is an old square polaroid at 480x480 - pupslider will have to add padding at the sides, but there will be no padding at top and bottom.

Sometimes this looks odd because the padding is visibly uneven. One way around this is to select much greater padding so that the difference between top and sides is less noticeable. A very wide frame can look better than an uneven frame that is skinny on the sides or top.

Sometimes getting an acceptable display is more about creating an effective optical illusion.

I will have a think about frame colour selection and see if i can offer more options.

EDIT : Here is a comparison of an image with "0" padding (no padding on two sides) and an image with "60" padding.

I think the "60" padding looks more normal.
Attachments
portrait_240.jpg
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
portrait_180.jpg
(9.94 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

gabtech

Pupslider

#25 Post by gabtech »

Thanks greengeek for the wonderful feedback. I think frame color selection would be great.

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Ok, here is a bionicpup64 version that includes the ability to choose the frame colour. (also including the option of "random" colour - which changes the frame color each time it switches to the next image)

I have included some basic colour choices in a dropdown box, however it is also possible to type the colour name manually if you want a colour that is not in the list.

You will need to type colour names as specified by the x11 standard.
(if you use a name that is not supported by ffmpeg the output file will not be created - just check the color charts and try to find another similar color and try that)

To identify the correct names for other colours see these charts (for supported web, html, x11 colours):

https://www.html.am/html-codes/color/co ... -chart.cfm
http://www.ironspider.ca/format_text/fontcolor.htm (hover over color to find name)

Remove fake .gz suffix and make executable
Attachments
pupslider_gui64_v0.09.gz
Remove fake .gz suffix and make executable
(19.29 KiB) Downloaded 311 times

gabtech

Pupslider

#27 Post by gabtech »

Thank you greengeek for this frame color selection addon. It did what I was looking for. Thanks again man!

greengeek

#28 Post by greengeek »

This version includes the ability to add "leadin" and "leadout" frames which will be in the same colour as the user chooses for the frames around the images.

I recommend adding 2 or 3 of these frames.

The addition of leadin and leadout frames can improve the performance of the output mp4 where there are differences in ffmpeg versions. (Without these frames some ffmpeg versions "shortchange" the video by leaving out the first or last images, or truncating display time of the first or last images). This will make the gui useable on a greater number of puppy versions, and also stabilises performance with different media players (eg: mpv and mplayer display videos slightly differently sometimes).

The extra frames also make it easier to add background music etc if desired. (for example you can add leadin video frames as a way to better synchronise the music start)

I have included some basic frame colour choices in a dropdown box, however it is also possible to type the colour name manually if you want a colour that is not in the list.

You will need to type colour names as specified by the x11 standard.
(if you use a name that is not supported by ffmpeg the output file will not be created - just check the color charts and try to find another similar color and try that)

To identify the correct names for other colours see these charts (for supported web, html, x11 colours):

https://www.html.am/html-codes/color/co ... -chart.cfm
http://www.ironspider.ca/format_text/fontcolor.htm (hover over color to find name)

I have also written a gui that allows the user to add a background soundtrack to the video. See here
Attachments
pupslider_gui64_v0.096.gz
Remove fake .gz suffix and make executable.
(16.78 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
gui.jpg
(56.12 KiB) Downloaded 268 times