Installing Thonny python ide

Booting, installing, newbie
Johnnyboy

Installing Thonny python ide

#1 Post by Johnnyboy »

I am trying to install Thonny 3.0.8 python ide onto puppy xenial. After extracting and running ./install puppy gives an error:-
root# ./install
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: initfsencoding: Unable to get the locale encoding
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

Current thread 0xb74e8700 (most recent call first):
./install: line 10: 8041 Aborted python3 "$THIS_DIR"/install.py "$@"

Any ideas appreciated- this could be a good addition to puppy as it comes bundled with the latest python.

nosystemdthanks

Re: Installing Thonny python ide

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

try sharing the output of this command:

echo $PYTHONHOME
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Johnnyboy

#3 Post by Johnnyboy »

Thanks for the quick reply- echo $PYTHONHOME appears to do nothing.

nosystemdthanks

#4 Post by nosystemdthanks »

Johnnyboy wrote:Thanks for the quick reply- echo $PYTHONHOME appears to do nothing.
here are some thoughts:

1. xenial only comes with python2 included. you might need to install python3 if you havent already.

2. the install script may need full bash utils, when you are using the busybox version.

3. python (other than python2) may not be installed or setup properly. you can try running python3 from the command line to find out (ctrl-d will exit.) other than that, im not sure why youre having this trouble.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

Johnnyboy

#5 Post by Johnnyboy »

I did get thonny3.0.8 to work on puppy by not installing and simply running the thonny file from the extracted bin folder- the software was not too happy and refused to open or save files. I tried an earlier version (2.1.22) and this worked ok.

nosystemdthanks

#6 Post by nosystemdthanks »

Johnnyboy wrote:I tried an earlier version (2.1.22) and this worked ok.
congrats, glad to hear it.