How to remove 'write protection' from PNY drive? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
8Geee

#16 Post by 8Geee »

Someone asked about other SanDiska... I have 8 or 9 of the stubby ones (Cruzer Fit USB2.0). These have been OK for a few years running, no problems.

Transcend did have some corruption problems with their 400x CF drives... I would say more end-user based than CF based. /MHO Their USB/SDHC stuff is generally top notch.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Terry H:-

I don't use mine for running Pups from, but rather for storage.....mainly on the old Dell lappie. (It's a good way to get 256 GB of 'solid-state' storage permanently plugged into an elderly laptop, without needing to lug a USB hard drive around with you...)

They do get bloody hot when doing large file transfers.....but like I said, not so hot they'll melt the plastic end cap. Least, it's not happened to me.....despite seeing horror videos on YT about these things catching fire!

(I understand these were some of the early versions that were released for public consumption; in later revisions, SanDisk moved to a substantially more heat-resistant plastic.....the type of thing they use for these 'oven-ready' meals, where you bung the plastic container as is into the oven, and it'll withstand a couple of hundred degrees.) :shock: :lol:

--------------------

@ 8Geee:-

I have a couple of the USB 2.0 stubby ones myself. They run as cool as a cucumber.....but then of course, USB 2.0 transfer speeds are a hell of a lot lower than those of USB 3.0 (even on an elderly USB 2.0 interface, USB 3.0 drives still transfer substantially quicker than a purely 'standard' USB 2.0 will.....) I think they're able to get rather closer to the theoretical 480 MB/s max of the USB 2.0 'protocol'.

'Horses for courses', I guess.

Mike. :wink:

Sky Aisling

How to remove 'write protection' from PNY drive? (Solved)

#18 Post by Sky Aisling »

OK, here's an interesting bit.
I tried all the options in Gparted to clean up the PNY drive.
I now attempted to use Gparted for a different task not related to the PNY issue and low and behold Gparted is not working any more. I did attempt to run a complete check of the file system on the PNY drive but it just didn't look right as I was watching the circle of doom go around. It wouldn't 'cancel' so I 'killed' it. I'm wondering if this darn PNY brought down Gparted? Weird.

EDIT: I rebooted and all is well with Gparted again.

slavvo67

#19 Post by slavvo67 »

I have about 20 PNY sticks with no issue. There's always the chance of getting a bad egg with any brand, though. Pretty sure PNY would switch it out if you sent it to them as a defect.

If all else fails, I would suggest trying to format it through Windows first. Then, if need be, reformat in Linux.