Artful Derivative with strange pidof X results

Please post any bugs you have found
ITSMERSH

Artful Derivative with strange pidof X results

#1 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

In my Studio2Go, which is a remastered version of Smithy's first version of Music2Go Artful which is a derivative of Artful Puppy, I discovered a strange thing. :shock:

Code: Select all

"`pidof X`"
returns an empty string! :shock:

Even though, X is obviously running and active, since I'm posting from Studio2Go right now. This is really annoying, as my Puppies are executing scripts at boot up. Some of them are going to sleep until X is active. So, since pidof X returns an empty string they sleep forever. :roll:

Did I break anything on remaster?

Would anyone else please check this in the your Puppies and return the results here?

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Wed 28 Nov 2018, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

nosystemdthanks

Re: Artful Derivative

#2 Post by nosystemdthanks »

where can we download studio2go?
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

ITSMERSH

Re: Artful Derivative

#3 Post by ITSMERSH »

nosystemdthanks wrote:where can we download studio2go?
The version I published in June 2018.
Though it's not comparable anymore to what I've already got over here.

nosystemdthanks

#4 Post by nosystemdthanks »

try pidof Xorg instead.

if that doesnt work, run leafpad and try pidof leafpad.

pidof X doesnt return anything in xenial either. pidof Xorg works.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

ITSMERSH

#5 Post by ITSMERSH »

nosystemdthanks wrote:try pidof Xorg instead.

if that doesnt work, run leafpad and try pidof leafpad.

pidof X doesnt return anything in xenial either. pidof Xorg works.
I'd tested already successful various different programs like geany, leafpad, audacity etc.

The pidof Xorg works!

The pidof xwin works also!

Since pidof X doesn't return anything in Xenial, I suspect this is the default in Puppies beyond Tahr Puppy, as in my ArtStudio (Tahr based) pidof X works pretty well.

nosystemdthanks

#6 Post by nosystemdthanks »

ITSMERSH wrote: Since pidof X doesn't return anything in Xenial, I suspect this is the default in Puppies beyond Tahr Puppy, as in my ArtStudio (Tahr based) pidof X works pretty well.
i was, a couple years ago, working on a project that would detect things like this in a variety of puppy distros. i should consider bringing it back.

at the risk of being obvious, ps aux | grep X would help with this. ps | grep X if youre using a version of ps that doesnt do aux. this isnt for the script, its for determining what string to use in the script.

Dry Falls

#7 Post by Dry Falls »

Older pups have symlink /usr/bin/Xorg > /usr/bin/X

df

ITSMERSH

#8 Post by ITSMERSH »

Dry Falls wrote:Older pups have symlink /usr/bin/Xorg > /usr/bin/X

df
Thanks.

That was a useful hint! 8)

So, I can solve this without to edit all of my scripts and changing them for the newer Puppies.

Since I can execute any code I want to execute at boot up without to remaster, or to use a save file or save directory, I'm just checking for the existing of X. If not found simply creating a symbolic link /usr/bin/X pointing to /usr/bin/Xorg (or even xwin, if pidof Xorg wouldn't work either).

Should make all my sleeping scripts awaken. :wink: :lol: