Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 10 Dec 2018, 16:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Garbled sound with Lucid Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2018, 12:21    Post subject:  Garbled sound with Lucid Puppy  

Brief intro: Was running Windows (System 7) on HP Pavilion tower, hard drive crumped, installed Puppy Linux (Lucid Puppy 0.52), everything going pretty good until I got to Sound. My sound card is a Real Tek AL662. Sound plays but it is all garbled and has a FIERCE echo component. I’ve tried several different sound inputs (CD, MP3 files, etc) and the symptom never changes so I’m pretty well convinced the problem lies with the card (or some other central component that I’m not aware of). I’ve run ALSA several times and it doesn’t seem to be seeing the sound card. I’m not enough of a tech-head to go digging around in files, so I am at my wit’s end. If anyone can offer help/suggestions/solutions I will be grateful.

By the way, before anyone gets all up in my jammy about using a old distro of Puppy - I deliberately chose Lucid because the HP is pretty old (like 9+ years), and the documentation I read said Lucid is more likely to be stable in old equipment that some of the newer distros - so there’s that ...

Couple of quick edits ... upon closer examination, the sound card is an [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller rec 01. The chip is Realtek ALC662. Sorry for the confusion. Oh, and the computer model # is p6-2120.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov 2018, 23:53    Post subject:  

Quote:
installed Puppy Linux (Lucid Puppy 0.52)

I am not sure what version of Lucid Puppy you have.

This is the last final release version. You need to be using it.
Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Is this the version you have?

It is important to know the exact version, because Lucid had a lot of versions during development and they had a lot of bugs fixed in the final release 5.2.8.7

About the computer and what Puppy will work on it.
For Puppy that is about a normal age computer.
I would bet you the latest Puppy version will run on it.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 or Xenialpup 7.5
http://puppylinux.com
Those Puppies would be a lot easier to fix sound issues in.
A lot of improvements to Puppy since Lucid Puppy.

Here is some stuff to try.
First try the sound info here:
http://diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/index4.html
Getting the correct sound device selected is part of the problem.

If you get the correct sound device selected.
Now make sure the settings are setup correctly.
Right click on speaker icon in taskbar.
Select full window.
Make sure PCM is checked and turned up.
Check anything else that seems needed and turn it up.

Any help?

WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 12:50    Post subject:  

First off, thanks very much for your response (my experience with help forums in the past has often been ... uh ... less than optimal).

To your point about exact version number - all I have been able to find is the following info, derived from PupSysInfo: [Menu > System > System Status and Config > Pup-Sys info system information]

=== Distro Specifications ===

Operating System: Lucid 528
Desktop Panel: fbpanel 6.1
Desktop Window Manager: Openbox 3.4.11
Desktop Start: xwin openbox

If a more complete version is noted elsewhere I have been unable to find it. Suggestions?

I tried the things suggested in the URLs that you provided, but nothing seemed to help. Most of the directions deal with having NO sound, and how to fix that. I HAVE sound ... its just all staticky and garbled; I don’t find my specific problem addressed anywhere.

One point I am a bit confused on; you said:

“Getting the correct sound device selected is part of the problem.”

However, Alsamixer [F6] only shows me something called “0 HD-Audio Generic” - my actual sound card does not appear in the menu choices. I have tried entering it at [F6] but Puppy tells me it doesn’t recognize it.

So I don’t know if I have the correct sound device selected or not. Is “0 HD-Audio Generic” some sort of all-purpose category that includes sound cards otherwise unrecognized? I am flummoxed.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 17:53    Post subject:  

Hallo, WoeIsMe. And to 'the kennels'.

WoeIsMe wrote:
By the way, before anyone gets all up in my jammy about using a old distro of Puppy - I deliberately chose Lucid because the HP is pretty old (like 9+ years), and the documentation I read said Lucid is more likely to be stable in old equipment that some of the newer distros - so there’s that ...

Not at all. The whole business of choosing a Puppy to complement your equipment is quite a serious one. Wink Seriously!!

The snag, of course, is that there's 100's of 'em to choose from....

Bigpup is probably right about you being able to run a much newer Puppy, however.....and a newer Pup means a more recent kernel. And a more recent kernel usually means improved driver support (which in Linux, is all 'built-in' to the kernel).

9 years old? Hah! That's a youngster.....a mere 'stripling' of a box. Laughing

I'm running Xenialpup (7081, one of the slightly earlier 'betas' prior to the final, stable 7.5) on a P4-powered Dell Inspiron laptop.....an original 1100. It's coming up to around 16 years old, and with 1.5 GB RAM and a 64 GB PATA/IDE KingSpec SSD, runs Xenial very sweetly indeed.

So you should be able to run something somewhat more modern, without too much trouble.

You could, of course, install a newer kernel into Lucid.....but again, the newer Puppies with their 'modular' construction are less troublesome to perform this in than one of Lucid's vintage. There are tutorials on how to perform this, but it's not so easy to do in Lucid.....

Mike. Wink

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 18:09    Post subject:  

Because Lucid was maintained by remastering, those distro specs are the same for all releases. We can tell the latest version by checking the dates of some of its files.

In the final version of Lucid Pup 5.2.8.7, the file /usr/local/bin/frisbee has a Modify time of "15:24:12 21 Jun 2017".

The only place where the release version number can be found is in the name of the ISO file from which your pup was installed.

If you need to update your version/release, simply click on the latest Lucid ISO file and copy/replace the files:
    initrd.gz
    lupu_528
    vmlinuz

If you can start over, I would recommend using "lucid super 2" which has the kernel from Retro Precise Pups. The lupusave file will be named sulusave.

But, I concur that trying newer puppies will succeed. You will need them in order to use current versions of browsers and some other programs.
Richard
WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 20:24    Post subject:  

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. But ... here's the thing. It has become glaringly obvious to me in the last couple days that I have neither the technical IQ, nor the desire, to continue to try to shove a square Linux peg into a round computer hole. So I'm pulling the plug - I can use Puppy to salvage some of my mission-critical files from the moribund hard drive (I know how to do that), and then I will use my credit card to tiptoe cravenly back into the Windows fold. It simply makes no sense to me to spend days and weeks (and untold frustration) trying to squeeze a few more months out of an already demonstrably obsolete machine just to prove I can.

Yeah, yeah, I know ... Microsoft/Gates is a tyrant and a plutocrat and an all-around terrible person ... but his stuff does what I want it to when I take it out of the box ... without having to go to tech school for a few years.

I really envy you McGyver types who can boot up a box with a couple wires and transistors and some custom code ... I really do ... but I'd rather spend my computer time actually using the danged thing, instead of learning to use it.

Thank you again for your time and efforts on my behalf.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 20:44    Post subject:  

We are basically telling you to use a better version of Puppy.
Is it really that hard to try using Xenialpup 7.5?

perdido

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov 2018, 22:49    Post subject:  

WoeIsMe wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. But ... here's the thing. It has become glaringly obvious to me in the last couple days that I have neither the technical IQ, nor the desire, to continue to try to shove a square Linux peg into a round computer hole. So I'm pulling the plug - I can use Puppy to salvage some of my mission-critical files from the moribund hard drive (I know how to do that), and then I will use my credit card to tiptoe cravenly back into the Windows fold. It simply makes no sense to me to spend days and weeks (and untold frustration) trying to squeeze a few more months out of an already demonstrably obsolete machine just to prove I can.

Yeah, yeah, I know ... Microsoft/Gates is a tyrant and a plutocrat and an all-around terrible person ... but his stuff does what I want it to when I take it out of the box ... without having to go to tech school for a few years.

I really envy you McGyver types who can boot up a box with a couple wires and transistors and some custom code ... I really do ... but I'd rather spend my computer time actually using the danged thing, instead of learning to use it.

Thank you again for your time and efforts on my behalf.

Change is hard.
I think you should try what bigpup suggests and give xenial 7.5 a whirl.
The iso is located on this page --->https://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/32/

The file name of the iso is xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso

The support thread for xenial is here --->http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106479

WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018, 17:45    Post subject:  

Because I try to be a rational chap, I downloaded Xenial Puppy as suggested, and tried it. I must tell you that it did solve my sound problem ... mirabile dictu!!

Haven't had a chance to give it much of a shakedown other than the sound business - the browser (something called "PaleMoon") seems OK, and I was able to set up a working email function with only the normal amount of swearing and brow-furrowing.

A lot of my computer activity involves data-scraping and cleanup, so I will be interested to see how X-Puppy performs with pkgs like Tabula, OpenRefine and LARGE Excel files.

A special thank you to "Perdido" who offered simply a "Do THIS, then do THAT, etc" approach. No jargon, no preaching ... just direction. That's the kind of help/advice that works for me.
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018, 21:11    Post subject:  

WE all started out knowing nothing about Puppy Linux or how to do things.
This is not Windows and it does do things the Linux way and even more so the Puppy way.
Learn you must!

About specific programs that did not come pre-installed in the Puppy version.

You must understand that there are a lot of Linux versions and Linux programs have to be compiled from source and made into a program package for that version of Linux.
This is really no different than Windows.

This info will help you.
Basic info on installing additional programs.

Program packages need to be compiled for Puppy for the best chance to work. Puppy has it's own way of doing things.
Program packages are available in several ways. What you are looking for is probably available in one of them.

Puppy Package Manager(PPM), that is installed with the version of Puppy Linux you have, is the best place to get new programs. It will open, showing programs that are known to work on your version of Puppy.
1. Run Puppy Package Manager.
2. Left mouse click on a listed program.
3. Follow install directions
4. Program installs.

Depending on the version of Puppy you have, the package manager will have option to get packages from repositories other then Puppy repositories. The package manager will need to be configured for them.
This is how:
Run Puppy Package Manager (PPM)
Select configure package manager.
Select the repositories you want to show.
Select update now.
After the update process, (it will take some time to update).
Close and restart PPM.
Should now see your new repositories in the PPM window.
You then select the one you want to show in listings.
Note:
When getting packages from non-Puppy repositories, make sure you click on examine dependencies button (if offered) and download and install any identified as needed along with program package.
(newest version of PPM does this automatically)

Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff)section of this forum is the next best place to look. However, you must keep in mind that you will find programs that where originally compiled under a specific version of Puppy and they may or may not work with your version.
General rule is to read the posting for the program pet and see if there is any info that would indicate what version of Puppy it will work under.
Most of the stuff will work on a large portion of Puppies, but not 100% guaranteed.
You may find more then one version of a program. Sometimes that makes a difference.
1. Find a program you want.
2. Open the program thread.
3. find the link for downloading the program pet.
4. Left mouse click on the link
5. Follow the directions to either install or save.
(If you save the pet file you can install by viewing the pet file in Rox-Filer (file manager) and left click on it)

If you are just looking for programs on the Internet.
Try and download a deb package of the program.
Those will install like a pet package by left clicking on the deb package.
Deb packages may or may not make menu entries and may require other dependency programs/files.

If you have trouble getting a specific program to work.
Make a topic about it in the beginners section of the forum.
Usually the issue can be solved.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018, 22:05    Post subject:  

WoeIsMe wrote:

A lot of my computer activity involves data-scraping and cleanup, so I will be interested to see how X-Puppy performs with pkgs like Tabula, OpenRefine and LARGE Excel files.

Your concern about Large Excel files is the easiest to assuage. Your xenialpup has gnumeric already built in. Many Puppy users consider it superior to the alternatives, including Excel, itself. But the 'grammar' it uses for formulas is slightly different -- not an overwhelmingly difficult learning curve. But, if that's not to your liking, you'll find LibreOffice, here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=700801#700801, and Softmaker/Freeoffice, here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=993739#993739 various builds of OpenOffice on this thread, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=898786#898786, and versions of KOffice and WPS Office can be found in the Additional Software Section under either Business or Documents. All, I believe, use the same grammar as Excel as well as being able to read and write file in Excel's format. And, if you want to go that route, Microsoft office can be run under Wine. Just ask if you have any questions -- but start a new thread. [With a million posts to this forum (+/- a few) we try to keep things organized so that we can find and link to a post rather than having to repeat what already has been discussed].

As you know, both Tabula and OpenRefine run under java. I noticed that Tabula offers both a Windows and a Linux version. Suggest you ask about Java and try the Linux version. Getting Java to run under Wine may be more difficult. But, then I've never had a reason to try.

p.s. When starting a new thread, mention the exact name of your Puppy to avoid confusion. There's Xenialpup64, X-Slacko, X-Tahr and a couple other X's, as that's commonly used in naming a Puppy which employs xfce as Window Manager -- an exception being Xenialpup64 using xfce. As you've probably guessed, Puppy isn't just one operating system -- its a family of operating systems each having many things in common, but also each having certain unique features. Avoiding confusion is a full time job for which none of us gets paid. Crying or Very sad
WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov 2018, 23:16    Post subject:  

Thank you both for your thoughtful and helpful responses. I've learned more in the few minutes reading your replies than in all the hours spent reading "documentation" and paging through hundreds of forum entries. I will indeed look into the programs/routines you suggest. I have already created a USB boot drive - much handier (and quicker) than booting from the DVD [though I still need to figure out how to get the computer to see the USB first - currently I'm manually setting the bootable media as I power up.]

Me and Puppy may get to be buddies yet ...

Thanks again.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2018, 01:06    Post subject:  

Hi again WoeIsMe,

This being the Beginners Help Section, a lot of leeway is given regarding the customary limitation "One Issue, One Thread". After all, it's here to help beginners who aren't expected to really know anything. But when you're ready to ask technical questions first see if they've already been answered. This is a google-search engine dedicated to Everything Puppy: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0. I recommend bookmarking it unless you've got the ability to memorize gibberish. It's perhaps the hardest post to find. Then, if you haven't been successful, look for a particular thread about the Puppy you are using or the Application you're having a problem with and post to such thread. If neither of those choices seem appropriate, post to the User's Section.

This, however, being the Beginner's Section, let me ask you for more details about your HP Pavilion tower. At this point, the model probably will suffice so we can advise you what you'd have to do to change its Bios to have it boot from a USB-Stick without always having to manually set the bootable media. We could guess at how to generally do that, but specifics are always better.

A couple of other things which may be helpful. Palemoon is a fork of firefox. It has its own thread on the Additional Software >Browser & Internet Section which may be helpful if you need to update it. The Palemoon-updater no longer works as the publishers of Palemoon changed how it works. You'll also find in that Section Firefox Quantum, Firefox Esr and a couple of Google (and clones) threads. But unless you're a dye-hard Google fan, I suggest you stick to Firefox or Palemoon as Google has made it impossible to run current versions as Root/Administrator --so they run as Spot under Puppies which requires some getting used to. Discussed, of course, in various threads.

"Me and Puppy may get to be buddies yet ... " I used to think that Puppy was an inappropriate name for an operating system as powerful as it has become. Now I consider its naming was serendipitous: a faithful and useful companion for almost any endeavor I may choose to undertake.

With Xenialpup working for you, and you having enough on your plate, I would not recommend trying other Puppies at this time. But for future reference, even though your Windows system was a 32-bit, it's likely it will run almost any 64-bit Puppy. And one great thing about Puppies: each only needs its own Folder. Frugally installed Puppies --that's what you have on your USB-Stick-- will happily share a partition/drive with One other operating system [which thinks it requires an entire partition] and as many Frugally installed Puppies as you have space for. And since Puppies can access anything on your computer, several Puppies can share the data files you create on any partition outside of "Puppy Space" -- e.g. in /root/my-documents of a SaveFile [not Savefolder].
WoeIsMe

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2018, 09:36    Post subject:  

mikeslr:

I appreciate the warning about "One issue, one thread" - I'll be more careful in the future.

By the way, I actually did include my computer model number in my very first post of this thread.

Be well.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec 2018, 12:34    Post subject:  

Found it: HP Pavilion p6-2120. Also found a dead link to specific instructions. Sad
Googling its specs and for documentation -- but not having a lot of time to consider the info-- I got the impression that, despite having Windows 7 installed, it may be using UEFI as bootloader. Do you know if it does? That may make a difference as to how to give booting from a USB-Key priority over booting from the hard-drive.
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: