Accidentally removed both taskbars from Xenialpup or Slacko

Booting, installing, newbie
maria.minino

Accidentally removed both taskbars from Xenialpup or Slacko

#1 Post by maria.minino »

Hello!

My friend installed for me Xenialpup 7.5 or Slacko 6.3.2 and i was trying to remove the top taskbar and some of the trays. I don´t know what i did but both of of the taskbars are gone! I tried getting them back but i haven´t been able to.

I am a complete beginner! so please if somebody can help me i would be extremely grateful, going desperate here, don´t know what else to do.

My computer is a hp-mini110, it´s a 9 years old netbook. I decided to try linux to see if it worked better and faster, since its supposed to be lighter than windows.

Thanks
Maria

HerrBert

#2 Post by HerrBert »

in slacko_6.3.2 you can restore taskbars by navigating to /initrd/pup_ro2/root/ in rox-filer, click the eye in toolbar to show hidden files, open .jwm and copy these three files:
  • jwmrc-tray1
    jwmrc-tray1_hybrid
    jwmrc-tray2
to /root/.jwm (open in second rox-filer window and also set to show hidden files)

restart jwm (menu - leave -> restart window manager)

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

Which system is this now? As far as I can tell, Xenialpup doesn't have a top tray, but Slacko does.

In this case, adding to what HerrBert said, the "jwmrc-tray1" and "jwmrc-tray1_hybrid" files are for the top tray; don't copy them back unless you want to restore that tray. The "jwmrc-tray2" one is for the bottom taskbar which, I guess, is the one you want to have back.

To access the main menu in order to restart the JWM window manager as HerrBert mentioned, right-click the desktop.

Going to Menu > Desktop > Desktop settings > Tray and clicking on one of the "Tray" buttons, then "Apply", might also create a new tray.