Palemoon upgrade required?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
LeithR

Palemoon upgrade required?

#1 Post by LeithR »

I'm currently running xenial64-7.5 on an old Asus Sonic Master with Palemoon 27.6.1 as the browser. I've lately noticed some problems, receiving messages saying my browse is out of date. Whats the latest version of PM that works ootb on xenial please?

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ LeithR:-

I have 'portable' versions available of 28.6.0 (the current one is 28.7.2). I haven't made many packages for the 28-series, because they're simply not necessary; the 28-series now auto-updates in the same way as Firefox itself.

The separate Palemoon updater has been deprecated for quite a while, and hasn't worked for some time.

The advantage of these portables is that you can keep it outside the save-file/folder; it doesn't take up any 'Puppy-space', that way. It even keeps its profile within the portable directory, too.

Instructions for use can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115119

Don't worry about it saying 28.2.2. The same instructions apply to all 28-series Palemoons. You can find the 28.6.0 64-bit tarball here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WGDnO6 ... sp=sharing

This will very quickly offer to upgrade to 28.7.2, so you'll then be up-to-date!

(Posting this from 28.7.2 in a Racy 551 USB...)

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

The latest version of Pale Moon should work with no problems.

Latest version is 28.7.2

If the Pale Moon updater, in menu->Internet, is no longer working.
Run Quickpet->Info->Xenialpup updates.
That will fix the updater to download a version that now has the update built into Pale Moon.
Update Pale Moon using the internal updater.
Pale Moon->Help->Check for updates.

Now In Pale Moon preferences, there are settings for how updates are handled.
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 21:10, edited 2 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Mike Walsh wrote:the 28-series now auto-updates in the same way as Firefox itself.
As far as I know, the 28.x line just removed the update-check routine from PaleMoon's About box and set up a replacement checking option as a standalone entry under the Help menu (Check for Updates...).
You can still set the update options as you would for earlier versions of Firefox (Preferences > Advanced > Update); you could disable the update checks/automatic updates if you want, and run a manual check with Check for Updates... whenever you want. Firefox, as you know, just tries to update you whether you want it or not. :)

(posting this from PM 28.7.2 on Xenial32 :D)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).