DevuanDog 'Beowulf' [DISCONTINUED]

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
fredx181

#91 Post by fredx181 »

Ken wrote:/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf did not exist in my version of /etc/X11/. On adding /xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf "Address of website" box is now working. I did run an md5 check sum on the iso and it corresponded with the one given. Should I have had an /xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf without adding it manually?
No, /xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf is not included in the Iso, good to know that adding it solves the problem for "Address of website" box, thanks again.

Fred

keniv

#92 Post by keniv »

Hello Fred,
I was wondering if something had got corrupted as I was installing but if /xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf is not in the iso it looks as if my install is probably OK. I've made a note that it has to be added with my version of intel.

Thanks again,

Ken.

fredx181

#93 Post by fredx181 »

Hi all

Regarding the Palemoon issues...
I'm hesitating to add the fix/workaround for Palemoon by adding the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf in next DevuanDog ISO.
This is because I've had the experience when doing that it may have side-effects when booting from a computer that hasn't got Intel graphics (e.g. having Nvidia instead).

So, my question is:
Can anyone who has Nvidia graphics test by adding /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &id=121361 (remove fake .gz) then create directory /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ :

Code: Select all

mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
And copy the 20-intel.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d , then reboot with changes saved and see if it will boot to the desktop or not.
I can't test this atm.

Thanks !

Fred

Galbi

#94 Post by Galbi »

fredx181 wrote: Can anyone who has Nvidia graphics test by adding /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf :
I can confirm, it does NOT show the desktop with that file added. In both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] driver: nouveau v: kernel
bus ID: 00:0d.0 chip ID: 10de:03d6
Display: tty server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
(4.97 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

fredx181

#95 Post by fredx181 »

Galbi wrote:I can confirm, it does NOT show the desktop with that file added. In both 32 and 64 bit versions.
Many thanks for testing that Galbi !

Fred

backi

#96 Post by backi »

Morning Fred !
Can confirm Problems with 20-intel.conf
Have NVIDIA Graphic-Card .
Struggled hard to install Beowolf and Xenial Dog on my (new) Dell Laptop ,nearly gave up .
Just found out by accident that inserting /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf was the Reason Beowolf and Xenialdog did not boot into X (Desktop) on my Dell Laptop ..
It hangs while booting .
On my (older ) Toshiba 3000 Laptop no such Problems occured.

Same Happened with Xenial Dog .
So i think adding 20-intel.conf by default could lead to ,in some kind of Hardware, OpSys not booting into X (Desktop) .Maybe Nvidia is the reason Don`t know .
Better keep it out IMHO.

Regards
Last edited by backi on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#97 Post by fredx181 »

Morning backi !

Thanks for the info, I'm sure now that the intel.conf shouldn't be included.

Fred

darry19662018

#98 Post by darry19662018 »

Machine: Dell D620
Thank you Fred for this lovely Dog - I really love the choice to save the session. Beautiful fast OS.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

01101001b

#99 Post by 01101001b »

backi wrote:Can confirm Problems [...]
I have an nvidia graphic card (onboard, that is) also and now I begin to understand why when I entered the desktop, system seems hanged up, but it's not. I guess real reason is neither my mouse nor my keyboard are working, exactly as it happened when I installed nvidia driver in DPup Stretch for the first time (I'm trying DevuanDog-2019-03-29_32-bit).

backi

#100 Post by backi »

Hi 01101001b!
backi wrote:
Can confirm Problems [...]
Not quite sure if we are talking about the same Problem.I can not quite figure out what you are trying to express .

I`ll try to explain .

I installed DevuanDog 'Beowulf' Alpha to an USB Stick ...with no NVIDIA Drivers).
on my Toshiba Laptop Machine (without NVIDIA Card ) it boots fine .

Tried to boot to my Dell Machine with NVIDIA Card used same Usb Stick(DevuanDog 'Beowulf' Alpha...no NVIDIA Drivers) ,which boots fine on my Toshiba ..(with no NVIDIA Card)..
..no Luck ....stuck..hangs....not booting to Desktop .

Reason ::::
Someone in another Thread proposed to put 20-intel.conf into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and--or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d .......to solve some Issues with Palemoon.

This 20-intel.conf file located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and--or /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d prevented me booting to Desktop (also in Xenial Dog) on my Dell Machine with NVIDIA Card .
Removing that 20-intel.conf solved that Issue .
Now my Dell Machine also booting fine ........

By the way .... i never had Luck to install NVIDIA Driver in DevuanDog 'Beowulf' Alpha until now .

musher0

#101 Post by musher0 »

@fredx181:

I ran a live session of your "Beowulf" derivative this evening. I was quite impressed
by the very polished look. The Dogs have come a long way since the young collie
background!

I also enjoyed some jazz and some traditional African music on your DogRadio: that
app is "impeccable!", as we say in French. :)

Bravo and good continuation!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

fredx181

#102 Post by fredx181 »

Hi musher, thanks for trying and your encouragement, cheers :D

Fred

backi

#103 Post by backi »

Deleted

westwest

packit

#104 Post by westwest »

I've installed Packit from Synaptics, but it isn't integrated in the filemanager.
Tried adding a Packit.desktop file to /applications, without success.

I do not know anything about mime permissions (?)... any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise, all is well, even VirtualBox (using apt2sfs).

Thanks.

fredx181

#105 Post by fredx181 »

Hi westwest, assuming you mean packit the compression tool from SFR (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89211) , see attached deb package (remove fake .gz), named "pack-it" to avoid conflict. Seems to work well, I didn't test much though.
(packit from synaptic is a network commandline tool)

Fred
Attachments
pack-it_1.0.1_all.deb.gz
Packit deb package, remove fake .gz extension
(30.84 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

backi

#106 Post by backi »

Hi everybody !

Somehow do have really "Heat Problems" with DevuanDog .
Not really dangerous but quite significant higher compared to Stretchdog Xenialdog or Bionicdog .

Temperature fast increasing over 50-60celsius and Fan starts spinning quite fast ,even when not much Activities (just surfing the Web for Example) to keep it under 60 Celsius.
With Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog there is no such Problem .
Fan almost never runs...... significant cooler than DevuanDog.
That really annoys me......so feel not inclined to use it longer......although this a very fine Distro .

Did anybody else encountered Heat Issues ???

P.S:
Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog are 32 Bit Versions .
DevuanDog is a 64 Bit Version ..........could it matter ??

zagreb999

#107 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

for me all iso's based on ubuntu and devuan

produce great temperature -xenialdog, bionicdog,
devuandog...

but, all iso's based on debian and mx linux are
perfect- debiandog, sdog, mx linux-no
problem with temperature...
the best is fred's script mklive based on debian-
that iso is under 35 degree celsius!

fredx181

#108 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, for me there's no (over)heat problem on Devuandog (around 40 Celsius at start), but it does use some more RAM at initial boot (more than other Dogs).
Temperature fast increasing over 50-60celsius and Fan starts spinning quite fast ,even when not much Activities (just surfing the Web for Example) to keep it under 60 Celsius.
That sounds similar as what I experience with slacko64 and Fatdog64, fan spinning fast on my old HP laptop from 2007 (no such problem with any other 32 bit puppies).
Stretchdog ,Xenialdog or Bionicdog are 32 Bit Versions .
Maybe you mean that you tested 32 versions only, there are 64-bit versions for those(as you probably know).
DevuanDog is a 64 Bit Version ..........could it matter ??
I would appreciate if you test the DevuanDog-Beowulf 32-bit version sometime to see if you have the same heating problem.

Fred

backi

#109 Post by backi »

I would appreciate if you test the DevuanDog-Beowulf 32-bit version sometime to see if you have the same heating problem.
O.K Fred
going to run a Test with 32bit Version of Devuan Dog !

Did test .........Heat problem persists .Fans are pumping .

Now going to try with older Kernel k 3.16.0-pae

backi

#110 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Now going to try with older Kernel k 3.16.0-pae

Did test ......Heat problem still persists....Fans are pumping ....seems ...Devuan Dog does not play well with my Machine .

Best Results with Xenial Dog on this Machine..... even Smplayer (either with MPV(Player) or mplayer) and Vlc player on Xenialdog.... just using half of the Cpu load than they do on Bionicdog or Stretchdog....
Temperatures are equal good .

So i am probably going back to my Darling Xenialdog as my daily Driver.