Intel 9260 Wi-Fi setup

oldprinter

#31 Post by oldprinter »

My lappie is a HP 15234wm, Intel(R) Pentium(R) Silver N5000 CPU @ 1.10GHz Max Speed: 1100 MHz Current Speed of Core 0:1101 MHz, 1:800 MHz, 2:800 MHz, 3:800 MHz Core Count: 4 Thread Count: 4
Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq (I had to do the 'intel-pstate=disable' trick to get control of the processors)
l1tf:Not affected
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Enhanced IBRS, IBPB

Oh, I had to play with the Win 10 that came on it, Secure boot off and disable Fast start, Fortunately it had a decent BIOS, so I had no problem there setting usb as first option, CD/DVD as second option on boot (unlike a few years ago with my old Toshiba laptop where I had to update Bios version to be able to boot from usb).
The Bionicpup64 7.9.7 is uefi bootable, so no problems there.
I did the normal update PPM, used the Quick Pet to get the 32bit compatibilty, devx, and wine.
I've got Firefox 64.0.2 , Avidemux, Scribus, and Java running from portables or .sfs, loaded Open Office from .debs, Adobe Photoshop 5 and QuarkXpress 5 running under wine, as well as a couple of games (Eschalon 1, 2 & 3) and the old from Win XP, Solitaire and a few others.

While this works for me and my machine, it may or may not work for you. The gurus here KNOW these machines and how they work much better than me. I made my living sitting in front of a Mac doing pre-press work (even back before pdfs came along). I know what works for me, and not much else.
Tom

RimsOnAToaster

#32 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

weird issue - I now no longer have any interfaces loaded. I got your kernel and fdvr booted up, but now nothing is loading.

ozsouth

#33 Post by ozsouth »

ok - the one 9260 ucode in that fdrv ( -38 ) may not be the right one. Need to run: dmesg | grep wifi
to see what is being requested. I nearly included ucodes -34 & -43 in the fdrv - one of those will probably be needed in /lib/firmware. Firmware can be found at
http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 0-34.ucode
or http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS ... 0-43.ucode

RimsOnAToaster

#34 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Running dmesg | grep wifi returned nothing. Is there a certain directory I need to run it in?

ozsouth

#35 Post by ozsouth »

Hmmm. Are you sure you copied all the new files correctly over the old ones on usb stick?

Renewed files should be vmlinuz, zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs

Also check in /lib/firmware to see if 9260 ucode is there, & run uname -r to check kernel version.

RimsOnAToaster

#36 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

ozsouth wrote:Hmmm. Are you sure you copied all the new files correctly over the old ones on usb stick?

Renewed files should be vmlinuz, zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs

Also check in /lib/firmware to see if 9260 ucode is there, & run uname -r to check kernel version.
Not sure I did it correctly at all! So to be certain, I replaced the original vmlinuz with vmlinuz-4.14.39-u64oz and renamed it 'vmlinuz' for good measure, but I only copy-pasted 'fdrv.sfs' and 'kernel-modules.sfs-4.14.39-u64oz' onto the USB. Nothing about zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs changed, as far as I know.

the 9260 ucodes - 34 and 43 - are both present.

Kernel version is 4.14.39-u64oz.

ozsouth

#37 Post by ozsouth »

Aha - you need to delete zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs from your usb stick - it is the old kernel. THEN rename kernel-modules.sfs-4.14.39-u64oz as zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, and rename fdrv.sfs as fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs on usb stick. Then reboot & it should work, assuming ucode -38 is the right one.

RimsOnAToaster

#38 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

@Ozsouth - Somehow, I borked the rename process and now I have no desktop interface. Admittedly, this is ultimately my goal for this device, but right now i'm not quite prepared to run without a GUI. What file must I have messed up?

ozsouth

#39 Post by ozsouth »

Wow. Vital files are vmlinuz & initrd.gz,
puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs , zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs & fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs . Check for typos.

bigpup

#40 Post by bigpup »

I'm currently struggling to find a UEFI-compatible version of BionicPup.
Bionicpup64 7.9.8 will work.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... -7.9.8.iso

Just have secure boot disabled and or legacy boot enabled in the computers UEFI bios setup.
Boots OK on one of my computers with legacy boot enabled.
Another computer only has secure boot option, so disable secure boot works.

When you get WIFI working.
On the desktop is Quickpet icon.
Run Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup Updates to get the latest bug fixes installed.

Bionicpup64 is still being developed for final release, but it is very usable at this point. It is in final bug hunting condition with V7.9.8.
Unless it gets a big version change.
Quickpet>Info>Bionicpup Updates should keep it updated with any new improvements/fixes.
Here is the Bionicpup64 topic:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

We the users help finding bugs and fixes when a Puppy version is being developed.
So, if you start using it. Report any problems you may find.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Moat

#41 Post by Moat »

RimsOnAToaster wrote:I'm a Barramundi Farmer...
I just looked that up - very cool... and good on ya'! :) I look forward to trying it someday soon - sounds yummy; https://www.thebetterfish.com/

Bob

RimsOnAToaster

#42 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

Moat wrote:
RimsOnAToaster wrote:I'm a Barramundi Farmer...
I just looked that up - very cool... and good on ya'! :) I look forward to trying it someday soon - sounds yummy; https://www.thebetterfish.com/

Bob
Thank you!! They're really great tasting fish, and they absolutely thrive in aquaponic systems like ours. Blue Apron (a meal service in the States) actually picked up a massive order for a trial with their members and it looks like they're going to put it into permanent rotation! Couldn't be more pleased.

RimsOnAToaster

#43 Post by RimsOnAToaster »

ozsouth wrote:Wow. Vital files are vmlinuz & initrd.gz,
puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs , zdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs & fdrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs . Check for typos.
Sorry for going dark on ya for so long. I spent about a half hour dotting i's and crossing t's, but nothing worked. X still wouldn't start; more specifically, X would start and immediately exit back to the terminal interface. however, maybe that isn't such a bad thing? This computer is hopefully going to be used headlessly as a network drive, so maybe this is a good starting place for that?

uname -r shows that the kernel is 4.14.39, so its clearly working at some level. could I proceed to setup the wireless adapter stuff from the terminal?

ozsouth

#44 Post by ozsouth »

When next you boot up, run xorgwizard
& try some options - modesetting should work - not ideal, but sometimes that happens. Should at least give you video so you can try wireless easily.
Would need to create savefile on shutdown to retain settings. If that fails, its probably time to follow others suggestion & try bionicpup64.