ASUS eeepc 701 4g + XenialPup 7.5 - couple problems

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
asusi

ASUS eeepc 701 4g + XenialPup 7.5 - couple problems

#1 Post by asusi »

Installed Xenialpup 7.5 to Asus eeepc 701 4g laptop. There are couple small things which don't work:

1) adjusting volume with FN + key(F7 - F9).
2) Disabling WiFi by pressing FN + F2 works but enabling seems to fail (cannot reconnect). Indicator LED behaves correctly, turns off and back on.

I use Barry's Simple Network Setup for setting up WiFi.
WiFi chip is:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

EEEPC's are kind of a special laptop.
There have been some Puppy versions made specifically to support them, but those are old Puppy versions.
So. I am not going to suggest using one.

With Puppy Linux some of the fn+keys not working you are going to have to live with.
Puppy is not going to have the specific computers drivers to make them all work. If there even is a Linux driver version.

In menu>Setup>Mouse/Keyboard Wizard>Keyboard>Advanced Configuration>
Keyboard Model
There are some setups for specific laptops.
Maybe the Asus-laptop one would help.

Xenialpup 7.5 controls audio volume by the speaker icon on the tray.

About turning on and off WIFI.

In Xenialpup it does not auto connect just because the WIFI is powered back on.
You can right click on the network icon in the tray.
If offered select reconnect.
If reconnect is not offered, will have to use setup networking.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

asusi

#3 Post by asusi »

I can modify F7 alone (for example) to be mute/unmute button via JWMDesk Manager - JWM Hotkey. There were some options for additional key required, like ALT and also couple labeled mod1, mod2 etc but I didn't find setting for FN key. There is also option for setting keycode and I tried to get reading by using app called xev but apparently FN key is special and I got nothing. With correct keycode I assume volume keys could work, I saw that Print Screen function was also there (defined by keycode) and it also requires FN key (Insert is the default action of that key). Print Screen works correctly.

EDIT: That menu has all volume control functions already in place (commmands were amixer + something) and keycodes entered but codes are apparently wrong since they don't work, instead of keycode I defined F7 to be a hotkey and it worked, but I would like it to be FN + F7, even though I can control the volume with the slider.

I do have much faster laptop so it's not like I need this, I bought it only to tinker and I wanted to try a Linux distro.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

AtomicPup-XIX is specifically designed to work with netbooks, your ASUS eee701 included, BUT, video is done manually by typing XORGWIZARD, and selecting the Intel Drivers. Puppy will find it and correctly dissplay. There is a mouse/touchpad test also. During this setup you need to use keyboard (arrow keys).

HTH
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

asusi

#5 Post by asusi »

Booted Lubuntu 16.04 from USB stick and it does support controlling the volume. Xev gives output when keys are pressed, photo attached. Only difference with each key is the first number after "Keys:" word.
Attachments
IMG_20190127_191655-704x203.jpg
(40.04 KiB) Downloaded 452 times