Panel not showing on default screen???

Using applications, configuring, problems
HiDeHo

Panel not showing on default screen???

#1 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi all i am having a problem with the Panel.
I am using XenialPUP64_7.5
I have an external monitor plugged in. the panel is only displaying on the 2nd monitor. i don't want this. what i do want is to have the panel displaying on the main laptop screen only, I do want this.

here are my settings
Here is the desktop: Lock, Zip, Trash are the edge of the main Laptop screen where the panel should be displaying.

in the image Display Settings above you can see on the laptop screen settings the position box is greyed out. if i could change that to Left then I believe I may get things to work.

I would appreciate any help you could provide to fix this weird error. The panel/Tray should be set to display on the laptop/default screen only.[/img]

williams2

#2 Post by williams2 »

quote: what i do want is to have the panel displaying on the main laptop screen only

You can edit the hidden file .xinitrc in /root and put in something like:

xrandr --output HDMI-0 --off --output LVDS --auto

I would put it near the bottom of the file, just above:

which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM

Type xrandr in a console terminal to see the exact device names. Test the command in a terminal before you paste it in .xinitrc, to be sure it works properly. And save a copy of the command in case the .xinitrc file gets changed somehow, for example by an update.

Sometimes you need to be forceful and show Puppy who's boss.

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

I've tested a dual monitor setup of Xenialpup64 in a virtual machine, and it worked as expected - the tray was on the same screen as the desktop.

However, it showed up on the other screen when I set the tray's horizontal alignment to "center" instead of "left". (Setting it to "right" squished the panel against the bottom right corner of the second screen). Your screenshot shows that it's supposed to be left (the "Left >> Right:" option); I wonder why it's not working that way then. You could try setting it to "center" and back to "left". Or edit the /root/.jwmrc-tray file; the first "Tray" line should be:

Code: Select all

<Tray autohide="off" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" width="0" height="30" layer="above" layout="horizontal" halign="left" valign="bottom" >
Note the halign="left" part. After editing, restart JWM, or restart the X server.

When I swapped the monitors around, it did not influence the placement of the desktop/panel. The swap only changed which of the screen content was shown on which monitor (or in which Virtualbox window, in my case). When I took a screenshot inside the VM, the screen portion with the desktop was always on the left side, regardless of which of the two monitors it was on.

ITSMERSH

#4 Post by ITSMERSH »

@HiDeHo

Could you please resize the posted images to a smaller size in pixel, so it will fit into a screen width of 800 pixel?

Wider images makes posts to read almost impossible, because of the huge distance to scroll horizontally.

Thanks

p310don

#5 Post by p310don »

I had a similar problem in Fatdog. I simply added a new panel on the second screen.