Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 May 2019, 05:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
How to get a BCM4231 wireless card to work with Puppy?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
ristexx

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 17:54    Post subject:  How to get a BCM4231 wireless card to work with Puppy?
Subject description: 2008 MacBook

Flat out, I've been looking for any and all means to get things to just work for my wireless card, I can't seem to get anything to function.
I've tried using the B43 drivers to no avail, I've tried disabling my ethernet driver just to see if that would bring any conflict and once more to no avail, I even tried to find drivers officially released by Broadcomm themselves, the driver in question had a tar file but no way to install it as far as I can tell, there's only a makefile, no INSTALL file, no configure, nothing. I'm at a loss. Any and all help would be appreciated.

I'm not on PuppyLinux specifically, I'm on a fork I guess you could call it called Puppex Xenial, it's a full install, and I used rufus to install to a flashdrive. I'm running off of an old macbook from 2008.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 20:14    Post subject:  

Hallo, ristexx. And to 'the kennels'..!

Mm. Broadcom B43. Hah! Here we go again..... (*sigh*)

Generally, there's two options. You either continue the struggle with the BCM card.....or you simply say 'Sod it.' And use a wireless USB dongle instead.

There are drivers, and methods for installing 'em, kicking around the forum. Personally, I've never had the misfortune to have a machine that's saddled with one of these awful things. (The problem is, Broadcom refuse to even acknowledge the existence of Linux. Or even Macs, for that matter. Everything they produce is strictly for Windoze only.)

What happens, usually, is that somebody (who likes a challenge!) will take the source code Broadcom provide, and they compile the driver from scratch.

Unfortunately, many of these seem to be no longer available. The Puppy Forum member who used to provide them appears to have withdrawn all his work & packages. I get the impression he may have decided it's time for somebody else to 'carry the can...'

------------------------

Me, I've always taken the view that a dongle is way more versatile. You can switch it from one machine to another. If you do your research correctly, and get one that has the driver built-in to the kernel (the Linux kernel, by now, is something like more than 95% nothing but drivers), you can swap said dongle back & forth between Windows & Linux machines with impunity.....

THIS is a good one. Uses the Realtek 8192CU chipset. The driver has been 'baked-in' to the kernel for years.....and Windows drivers are readily available, too.

Slightly more expensive than your run-of-the-mill no-name cheapo specials from the Far East, but ya do get what you pay for; a dead reliable wifi dongle that will not let you down. I've used mine for several years, and it's not let me down yet.....

Mike. Wink

ristexx

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 21:49    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hallo, ristexx. And to 'the kennels'..!

Mm. Broadcom B43. Hah! Here we go again..... (*sigh*)

Generally, there's two options. You either continue the struggle with the BCM card.....or you simply say 'Sod it.' And use a wireless USB dongle instead.

There are drivers, and methods for installing 'em, kicking around the forum. Personally, I've never had the misfortune to have a machine that's saddled with one of these awful things. (The problem is, Broadcom refuse to even acknowledge the existence of Linux. Or even Macs, for that matter. Everything they produce is strictly for Windoze only.)

What happens, usually, is that somebody (who likes a challenge!) will take the source code Broadcom provide, and they compile the driver from scratch.

Unfortunately, many of these seem to be no longer available. The Puppy Forum member who used to provide them appears to have withdrawn all his work & packages. I get the impression he may have decided it's time for somebody else to 'carry the can...'

------------------------

Me, I've always taken the view that a dongle is way more versatile. You can switch it from one machine to another. If you do your research correctly, and get one that has the driver built-in to the kernel (the Linux kernel, by now, is something like more than 95% nothing but drivers), you can swap said dongle back & forth between Windows & Linux machines with impunity.....

THIS is a good one. Uses the Realtek 8192CU chipset. The driver has been 'baked-in' to the kernel for years.....and Windows drivers are readily available, too.

Slightly more expensive than your run-of-the-mill no-name cheapo specials from the Far East, but ya do get what you pay for; a dead reliable wifi dongle that will not let you down. I've used mine for several years, and it's not let me down yet.....

Mike. Wink

I have had it working before on manjaro linux and on ubuntu but i guess maybe things are more difficult than i bargained for in this instance Crying or Very sad
I do have a spare USB device that i tried to get working but only briefly, but its semi old and I don't think its supported. It's a netgear WG111, and I tried to find the proper drivers for it but that too was also a bust. Maybe I'll just have to look harde.

Thanks anyways,
-Ristexx
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 23:22    Post subject:  

If your Xenial variant is using the standard Xenial kernel, I would ask in the Xenial thread for someone who has made the Broadcom "wl" driver.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 03 Feb 2019, 23:52    Post subject:  

I know nothing about Macbooks, but alot of laptops have a switch to turn WIFI off/on. A specific switch or a combo of keys. Puppy does not control this. If the WIFI is turned off, Puppy will not turn it on.
So if the Macbook has a wifi switch. Make sure it is turned on.

Could you try using an official Puppy version that is released with normal installed support files/programs.
The problem with Puppex xenial it could be missing anything.

Try using Xenialpup 7.5 just to see what happens.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/32/xenialpup-7.5-uefi.iso

Just to make sure you are trying to setup the WIFI correctly.
Plus it will tell us better what is happening.

menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard->Wired or wireless LAN->Network Wizard

Network Wizard wireless connection steps.

1. Select Network Wizard
2. Select wlan0 (your network card may have a different description)
3. Select Wireless in the Configure wireless network box.
4. Select Scan and your ESSID should come up.
5. Select your ESSID and OK
6. Give a name to your profile. It should already be what you selected in step 5.
7. Encryption. Most people use WPA/TKIP - select it or WPA2.
8. A box will open for you to write the WPA password. It is called a Shared Key. Enter the password.
9. Leave the other boxes as they are. Rarely do these need adjustment.
9. Select Save
10. Select Use This Profile
11. A box will appear showing Puppy trying to connect
12. A box will come up “REPORT ON TEST 0f wlan0CONNECTION”
13. Select Auto DHCP in the Configure interface box and it will go through a handshake routine. and declare itself successful
14. Select done

If something does not work.
What step?
You do what?
You see what?

Also make sure your system's time zone setting is correct - if not, many website's certificates then act as if they are expired, and the webpage won't display.

ozsouth

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2019, 23:23    Post subject:  

In addition to trying Bigpup's diagnostics, please run in a terminal: uname -a and post the output here to help us help you. I provided several wl drivers in the past, but no longer have that chip to test & couldn't find source code that worked after kernel 4.14. My upload sites have expired, so I could upload required ones again.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: