Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Nov 2019, 09:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Had no sound Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (2006) - fixed
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 00:16    Post subject:  Had no sound Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (2006) - fixed
Subject description: Look for the picture of a speaker

After researching problems with snd-hda-intel in linux, I determined that my HDA sound chip is AD1981 and added it to modprobe.conf (outmoded), /etc/modprobe.d, and /etc/modprobe.d/sound, with no results. No sound.

No software errors.

I increased sound levels with alsamixer. Still no sound.

Finally I noticed a row of three buttons to the left of the ThinkVantage blue button at the top of the keyboard. The one on the right increases volume.

Suddenly sound. I had to turn down the volume with alsamixer.

Everything else worked out of the box with Lupu 2016. (Though we did have to work around a power problem, wiring a DC jack into the battery compartment sans battery).

This is a top-of-the-line non-glare non-widescreen laptop with clear bright screen and excellent keyboard. Perfect for email and lynx and quite fast for its age. Dual-core 1.83GHz.

I got Puppy working with sound on everything except a Gateway 2000 Pentium MMX 166MHz (where it worked in Win98). Yamaha chip.
Subito Piano

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 20:04    Post subject:  

Nice machine -- that's my main unit after a newer and more powerful laptop kept malfunctioning (hardware issues). I've found my T60 to be rock-solid and reliable. It wouldn't be my first choice for size and specs -- but it doesn't seem to lack anything for this non-gamer and non-movie streamer. Using XenialPup on it presently, plus A/V and sometimes MX or TahrPup.
"God is love" - I John 4:12
🐧 🐧 🐧 Rockin' on a 2007 IBM/Lenovo T60 Centrino Duo with 32-bit XenialPup 7.5! Very Happy
(A/V Linux for live digital synth needs)
Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 20:46    Post subject:  

Writing from my T60 now. Glad you got your sound working, sindi. With the 2503 advanced docking station I've had 3 screens (2 monitors) working together seamlessly on XenialPup CE (7.0.4) with all the software I need for work. Recently cloned it all onto a 250GB HDD recycled from a newer laptop - in the process, rescued the ol' XP partition wot was broken (!) Currently completing a big, but protracted writing project on it - will probably upgrade to Rady's Dpup Stretch when I've submitted for publication. If this machine ever (???) dies I'm "upgrading" to a W500. This docking station is the bomb Smile
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Audio
Jump to: