Belkin F5D7010 up and running

Booting, installing, newbie
OldGeezer

Belkin F5D7010 up and running

#1 Post by OldGeezer »

After a week long struggle, I finally convinced my F5D7010 to go to work in my antique Compaq laptop. I tried everything I could find in the forums and elsewhere. I played with ndiswrapper until I was blue in the face. Likewise WAG. I downloaded wifi-1.0.4-beta-2.pup. I was pretty close to success but still one brick shy of a full load until I stumbled across RutilT. As soon as I ran modprobe ndiswrapper, RutilT recognized my home network (plus a couple others in the neighborhood). All I had to do was enter my WEP encryption key and tell it to use DHCP and everything came to life. Whew!

Now, can some kind soul walk me through running "modprobe ndiswrapper" automatically when Puppy 2.10 boots to save me one step? I doubt configuring RutilT automatically at start-up is possible, but I can live with that.

What you see here is one happy newbie. :D

pakt

Re: Belkin F5D7010 up and running

#2 Post by pakt »

OldGeezer wrote: Now, can some kind soul walk me through running "modprobe ndiswrapper" automatically when Puppy 2.10 boots to save me one step?
Sure! This will do the trick - add the line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code: Select all

#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...
modprobe ndiswrapper       <== line added here
Paul

OldGeezer

#3 Post by OldGeezer »

pakt wrote:
Sure! This will do the trick - add the line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
This file does not appear to be editable. I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. The icon for rc.local is a little gear and not a page of text. I do have a firewall installed. Would that change the permissions?

Rickrandom

#4 Post by Rickrandom »

Right-click on the gear icon, then select Open as Text

OldGeezer

#5 Post by OldGeezer »

Rickrandom to the rescue:
Right-click on the gear icon, then select Open as Text
As the old saying goes, "Knowledge is power." Rickrandom and pakt have the power and because of their generosity, now I do too. Many thanks to these gentlemen for their help.