How to avoid turning power off when Puppy freezes?

Booting, installing, newbie
linuxcbon

#21 Post by linuxcbon »

tallboy wrote:Uh-uh, not after your keyboard and mouse is frozen, and give no response at all. :(
The CTRL + ALT + F2 is only for when the RAM is full and the PC is then very very slow.

But if the mouse and keyboard are really frozen, the only solution is to ssh from another PC, but that's technical.

tallboy

#22 Post by tallboy »

linuxcbon wrote:But if the mouse and keyboard are really frozen, the only solution is to ssh from another PC, but that's technical.
Yes, but it is a step in the right direction, very good! :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

mini-jaguar

#23 Post by mini-jaguar »

tallboy wrote:
linuxcbon wrote:You can try pressing at same time : CTRL + ALT + F2 to go to another virtual desktop.
Uh-uh, not after your keyboard and mouse is frozen, and give no response at all. :(
I've had it respond a minute or two later. Go get a drink, go to the bathroom to pee, whatever. Except do CTL+ALT+Delete and go into text mode, not the virtual desktop thing which will keep your memory full.

oui

Re: When Puppy Linux freezes or crashes

#24 Post by oui »

LNSmith wrote:I find that Stretch Puppy 7.5 freezes or crashes.
Stretch 7.5 freezes or crashes always after a certain among of jobs. I am sorry, it is so. Some memory management controls don't work properly...

tallboy

#25 Post by tallboy »

mini-jaguar wrote:I've had it respond a minute or two later.
That is a very interesting observation, I will definitely try that if I freeze up again. I actually recall an instance where I just left the PC, in anger, after it froze, and didn't touch it until the day after. I was prepared to do a full power-off and restart, but when the screen came to life, it worked as if nothing had happened. It seems the system just crept along one tiny line of code at the time, even if it acted as totally dead.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Peterm321

#26 Post by Peterm321 »

I had one of these freezes a few days ago. It wasn't lack of RAM - I had two GB of it free, and in any event have 4GB available in a dedicated swap partition.

In my experience if the screen remains lit, then the system eventually comes out of the freeze if you are patient enough to wait.

My best guess is that it may relate to a race condition in one of the kernel modules.

Unfortunately I haven't yet got around to installing the devx and kernel source SFS files needed to re-compile the kernel with the magic SYSRQ option. If these are installed, only the kernel image, vmlinuz, needs to be recompiled.

It is fairly easy to write a short daemon program in C or maybe python or similar that might work with freezes that disable or hang the keyboard but the system still can read the powerbutton input file.

It may be necessary to kill the acpid daemon, if this is running and being used for puppy's own shut down routine (which takes ages, by the way).

That device file (for Puppy Tahr) is, --

Code: Select all

/dev/input/event1
On pressing the power button in Tahr 6, 64 bytes are written to this file. Its fairly simple to write a short daemon to listen for, say, the button being pressed a couple of times. If the power button is pressed a couple of times, send SIGTERM and/or SIGKILL to the pidof X.

LNSmith

#27 Post by LNSmith »

G'day to all from Australia.

I read all the useful suggestions on this dealing with a frozen OS.
I can see this problem bothers other Puppy user's.
Thanks for the good advice ...

All the best,

Leslie

Mike Walsh

Re: When Puppy Linux freezes or crashes

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

oui wrote:
LNSmith wrote:I find that Stretch Puppy 7.5 freezes or crashes.
Stretch 7.5 freezes or crashes always after a certain among of jobs. I am sorry, it is so. Some memory management controls don't work properly...
I dunno so much. Stretch 7.5 has never, ever crashed or frozen on me, and I've used it for a few months now. Stretch has run all day long, and never shown the slightest hint of instability.

Oui & LNS, sorry to ask this, but what on earth are you pair doing with Stretch, to make it crash all the time??? :shock: :shock:

Mike. :?

dancytron

#29 Post by dancytron »

I get the browser using all the RAM freeze sometimes. I think it is more bad web pages leaking memory more than too many tabs open.

(Edit: This is in Debian Dog Stretch - I assume it will work in Puppy too)

I wrote a very simple little script that kills all the firefox and chrome tasks and put it on the taskbar. When I notice the slowing or hear the hard drive cranking up because the swap file is going to town and I can't close the browser, I press it.

Usually works.
#!/bin/sh

killall chrome | killall firefox-bin
echo Chrome and Firefox are dead. Click enter to continue.
read
I run it with a .desktop file set to run in terminal.
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Kill Chrome
Comment=Kill Chrome Dead
Exec=KillAllChrome.sh
Icon=/opt/google/chrome/nochrome.png
Terminal=true
StartupNotify=false
Path=/usr/local/bin
GenericName=Die Chrome Die

Mike Walsh

#30 Post by Mike Walsh »

dancytron wrote:I wrote a very simple little script that kills all the firefox and chrome tasks and put it on the taskbar. When I notice the slowing or hear the hard drive cranking up because the swap file is going to town and I can't close the browser, I press it.
"Kill Chrome Dead". "DieChromeDie". Eee, I like it, I like it! Ah, that's made my day, that has, mate... Ha-ha!!

(*Oh, dearie me...[holds sides]*)

Image Image

Mike. :wink:

dancytron

#31 Post by dancytron »

Mike Walsh wrote:
dancytron wrote:I wrote a very simple little script that kills all the firefox and chrome tasks and put it on the taskbar. When I notice the slowing or hear the hard drive cranking up because the swap file is going to town and I can't close the browser, I press it.
"Kill Chrome Dead". "DieChromeDie". Eee, I like it, I like it! Ah, that's made my day, that has, mate... Ha-ha!!

(*Oh, dearie me...[holds sides]*)

Image Image

Mike. :wink:
You'll like the icon too.
Attachments
nochrome.png
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 394 times