Linthesia for Slacko ?

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Rolandradio

Linthesia for Slacko ?

#1 Post by Rolandradio »

Hi

is there a linthesia (Synthesia or Pianogame) packaged for Puppy linux ?

I have only a tarball of linthesia-0.4-2.src.tgz
I use Puppy Wary and Puppy Slacko.

Thanks.

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello and welcome.
Please always specify which version of Slacko you are using including the number.

Linthesia appears to be a project that was abandoned in 2010 so it may not be easy to get it working at all. I have never seen any versions of it that are packaged for Puppy. In fact I have never heard of it before but maybe someone else knows of something.

The .tar.gz package which you have can be extracted to reveal the source code.
In my (remastered) Wheezy Puppy I can use Puppy Package Manager to add the required dependencies that are listed and then compile (build) linthesia.

When I run it though, it initially opens the file chooser, but when I try to choose one of the .midi files it throws an error and shuts down, so I was not able to get it to do anything at all unfortunately.
Oscar in England

Rolandradio

#3 Post by Rolandradio »

The Tar.gz package contains the source code right ? And to compile it is more difficult or is it possible with those versions I use ?

I'm using Wary 5.4 , Slacko 5.7 , Slacko64 6.3 and Bionicpup 8.0.
The most I'm using is Slacko 5.7.
Bionicpup wont start at all, it cannot find the sfs file.

You have test it with Weezy and Linthesia still not work, but maybe with my versions it is possible ?

Can every Slackware packaged be installed on Puppy Slacko or is that not true ?

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

The compiling step is actually quite easy, but you have to install the dependency packages first. The .tar.gz archive includes a file which lists the dependencies. They are:-

libgtkmm-2.4-dev
libgconfmm-2.6-dev
libgtkglextmm-x11-1.2-dev
libasound2-dev

The ones with mm in the name are not in most Puppies by default so it is a case of looking for those via the Package Manager (or compiling from source). With Wary they may not be available and with Slacko 5.7 I am not sure. Since linthesia is old you may find that recent Puppies are not compatible with it. I tried in Stretch which is newer than Wheezy and the compile process failed. Slackware packages should be able to be installed in Slacko but the package names can sometimes be a little different from how they appear in Debian/Ubuntu so you will have to hunt around a bit and try things out.
Oscar in England

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Rolandradio,

You've successfully worked with this pkg in which other distro(s)?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar:-

I had a look at it myself. I downloaded the 0.4.1-i686.deb package from the Linthesia page at Sourceforge. Following warnings for missing deps in the terminal, I then tracked down the libs you mentioned, from the /ubuntu/pool website. After looking at the actual package itself in the /pool/universe page, and determining it to have been around the time of Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx, so yes; your date for cessation of development sounds about right), I then tracked down and downloaded the appropriate, date-sensitive libs which would have been used with it.

This was tried out in Racy 5.5 last night. I grabbed a few sample MIDI files to try it out with, but, like you, I found that it froze solid on attempting to select a file to use. Further research leads me to believe that in order to use the program properly, you need to have an appropriate MIDI piano-type keyboard attached to your system. If you don't, then the program doesn't work correctly, since it needs to detect both software and hardware components.

Mike. :wink:

norgo

#7 Post by norgo »

compilation under Slacko 700 RC3 is working
following dependencies are needed
gconfmm
gtkglextmm
gtkglext
pangox-compat
Attachments
screenshot.png
(27.17 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

Rolandradio

#8 Post by Rolandradio »

Hi, sorry for the late reaction but I forgot to look at this forum.
I will try it with Slacko 700 RC3.

And, Semme

You've successfully worked with this pkg in which other distro(s)?
[/color]

What do you exactly mean ?