Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Jan 2020, 08:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Downloading outside of /spot/downloads/ with Chrome browsers
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
666philb

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 19:37    Post subject:  Downloading outside of /spot/downloads/ with Chrome browsers  

An annoying thing with chrome based browsers such as opera, chromium, vivaldi & google chrome is that they need to run as spot & and can only download to /root/spot/downloads/. /root/spot/downloads/ has restricted permissions and so you need to move certain downloaded items out of it for them to work.

you can get around this restriction using uget which is in most puppies.
first off you'll need to install the uget-integrator script

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ugetdm/uget-integrator/master/install/linux/install_uget_integrator.sh
chmod a+x install_uget_integrator.sh
./install_uget_integrator.sh

the script requires python3.6 from the ppm

then install the addon https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/uget-integration/efjgjleilhflffpbnkaofpmdnajdpepi?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon
restart the browser and you should get a green uget icon top right.

now in uget you can set the download location on the main gui categories>>default for new download.
in the settings you may want to turn on quiet mode so it that it downloads automatically, and turn on notifications for a download complete message, and tick 'always show in tray', 'minimize to tray''close to tray'

uget can also download magnet links and torrents. in ugets settings click the plugin tab and set the 'plug-in matching order' to 'curl + aria2'. then in bionicpup64 menu>>setup>>default application chooser choose uget-gtk as the default BitTorrent client

to make uget auto start with system
Code:
ln -s /usr/bin/uget-gtk /root/Startup

only tested in bionicpup64 ... other pups may need aria2 from the ppm for torrent downloading

Last edited by 666philb on Sun 17 Mar 2019, 16:01; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 20:41    Post subject:  

@ Phil:-

There are other ways around this.

peebee has written his Chromium wrapper launch scripts to download as spot, but upon saving to the standard Downloads folder the permissions are reverted to /root.

My method, for Chrome and Iron, is slightly more manual. You download to /spot/Downloads. You then click on the permissions changer icon in the notification area; in the window that pops up, select 'spot-to-root (for downloads)', and it changes permissions, moves the contents of /spot/Downloads to Downloads, and opens Rox in Downloads, ready to retrieve the item.

Sure, it's slightly more manual, but are a couple of extra clicks really such a major issue?

Mike. Wink

666philb

PostPosted: Sat 16 Mar 2019, 20:57    Post subject:  

hi Mike Walsh ,

yes i used to have a similar script that i clicked on to copy the files over & it opened the folder in rox... don't know why but it use to bug me ... unreasonably so Smile

this way i circumvent that annoyance, and if you turn quiet mode off in uget you can choose a folder from your bookmarks like iso, pets etc .. and that it downloads torrents and magnets is also nice.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2019, 10:55    Post subject:  

Curious.

I tried this out. I installed the 'uget-integrator' script, and the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Restarted the browser.

I get no options for setting the thing up at all. All I get is a window with a bunch of stuff about 'download interrupts' (whatever the hell that means.) Like this:-

I've dug around in the 'Extensions' tab, too. There is no way of setting the thing up at all.

I think I'll stick with what I know works... Laughing

Mike. Wink

666philb

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2019, 16:00    Post subject:  

hi Mike Walsh,

once you have the green light in the addon n(ie the icon is green and not red) that part is set up and you can ignore it.

the rest of the setup detailed on the first post is done with the uget application which is in most pups menu>>internet>>uget.

i missed that the extra script requires python3.6 and have added that to the first post. if the icon is green you already have it.

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 17 Mar 2019, 20:21    Post subject:  

A better (IMO) way of running as spot, under EasyOS at least, that runs most programs (as spot) fine :

Extracts (i.e. incomplete) for the fundamental setup I'm using i.e. a combination of Xephyr, so spots own separate X server, and capsh (capabilities dropped) ... chrooted to /
Code:
XP="-resizeable -dpi ${DPI} -nolisten tcp"
XP="${XP} -screen ${SCR}+0+0"
XP="${XP} -title Spot -name Xephyr3"
Xephyr :3 ${XP} &

PF="cap_sys_chroot"
PF="${PF},cap_sys_admin,cap_sys_boot,cap_sys_ptrace,cap_sys_time,cap_sys_tty_config,cap_chown,cap_kill"
PF="${PF},cap_dac_override,cap_dac_read_search,cap_fowner,cap_setfcap,cap_setpcap,cap_net_admin"
PF="${PF},cap_mknod,cap_sys_module,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource,cap_sys_rawio,cap_fsetid,cap_setgid"
PF="${PF},cap_setuid,cap_ipc_owner,cap_audit_control,cap_net_raw,cap_mac_admin"

DISPLAY=:3 capsh --drop=${PF} --chroot=/ --user=spot -- /init

I've extracted Fred's firefox portable into /root/spot and that runs fine, sound, youtube playing etc all work well.

I set it so spot can't access /mnt/sda3 i.e. my data mount point, but being chrooted to / can see/write to many other places within the system ... that I reset to a clean version at each reboot (comparable to not saving at the end of a Puppy session).

The attached image shows libre writer/spreadsheet, firefox, scribus, mtpaint ...etc all being run as spot under the above outlined umbrella.
s.png
 Description   
 Filesize   148.66 KB
 Viewed   203 Time(s)

s.png

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 18 Mar 2019, 03:25    Post subject:  

A cautionary note with running as spot, if you store data on a separate partition and have /mnt/sda3 (for example) set to owned/accessible by root only, then typically Puppy/EasyOS using mount/mount-FULL can under some circumstances open up those permissions when run. i.e. best to store data within a sub folder within a partition and set the permissions there.

mkdir /mnt/sda3/data
chmod go-wrx /mnt/sda3/data

and store the data you don't want accessible to spot within/beneath /mnt/sda3/data

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: