Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 03:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Here is a modern Puppy running from a live multisession CD-R
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
gychang

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2019, 00:02    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
I burnt the Dpup Stretch-7.5 with kernel 4 .1.48 to a multisession CD-R. I made the first save at shutdown, and one more random save at a later session.
I have now loaded that CD with 2 saved folders into an older PC, and first performed a random save, and then a save at reboot. There are now 4 saved, dated folders on the CD-R.
Everything works as it should. Very Happy

I'll test the others as promised, and publish the results here.

I wonder if those 4 saved folders can be made into an .sfs, and loaded into a frugal setup? The folders are dated, will the oldest folders be read first, like from a CD?

interesting thread, I recently bought CD-R discs and I have been burning the puppy iso but saving to HD. I do not have CD-RW, so I am limited how often I can save to CD-R. Since I prefer 64bit, I will try with bionicpup64 as previous post...

rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2019, 05:36    Post subject:  

gychang wrote:
I recently bought CD-R discs and I have been burning the puppy iso but saving to HD.

Fatdog's multi-session using a usb is working really well for me. Well worth a try IMO. It can be set up to boot and store saves on the usb, and where the usb can be removed after booting (so all the boot, system and saves remain secure/physically isolated from the running system). I'm now booting that using tmpfs instead of ramfs (no rootfstype=ramfs boot parameter), which means tmpfs has access to swap. I've set up a 16GB encrypted swap partition for that. i.e. even though running and storing saves in ram it pretty much wont blow its available free space excepting if I create/download file(s) > 16GB. Similarly however I don't save non configuration stuff in the save files, instead storing them on HDD. Fatdog includes a right rox menu option to encrypt a folder. I've set up a top level folder on HDD that I've encrypted - so everything (data) contained within that (sub-directories/files) are inaccessible without breaking the encryption.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1029528#1029528

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
gychang

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2019, 17:36    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
I burnt the Dpup Stretch-7.5 with kernel 4 .1.48 to a multisession CD-R. I made the first save at shutdown, and one more random save at a later session.
I have now loaded that CD with 2 saved folders into an older PC, and first performed a random save, and then a save at reboot. There are now 4 saved, dated folders on the CD-R.
Everything works as it should. Very Happy

I'll test the others as promised, and publish the results here.

I wonder if those 4 saved folders can be made into an .sfs, and loaded into a frugal setup? The folders are dated, will the oldest folders be read first, like from a CD?

Tried with BionicPup64 and Dpup Stretch-7.5 with CD-R. Saves are intermittent and not reliable, likely due to my inexperience....

tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2019, 14:52    Post subject:  

Check the Dpup Dtretch7-5 RC4 thread. I have had some strange results from testing with multisession CD-Rs.

Re: Headline? Not convinced, still hunting... Cool

Page 2 of 2 [19 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: