Firefox and Bionicpup64

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
soniabu

Firefox and Bionicpup64

#1 Post by soniabu »

hi to all.
I have installed bionicpup64 and Firefox 66.0.2.
I have these problems with Ffox:
1) although I have excluded in the preferences the restoration of the cards, invariably to the next restart of it, it presents them to me again;
only when I run bleackbit before relaunching it; on restart it informs me that it cannot restore the cards.
2) It is strangely slow when I run it the first time I turn on the pc;
3) with about ten cards open, Ffox often freezes me and the pc goes up in temperature until it triggers the two cooling fans.
This behavior I found with the latest releases of Ffox and also happened with the system Xenialpup64.
May I ask if you have also encountered some similar problem and what solution have you adopted?
Thank you
sonia

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Sonia, does the condition persists running a *clean* profile?

You do know how to create a clean profile, correct?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

soniabu

#3 Post by soniabu »

Semme wrote:Sonia, does the condition persists running a *clean* profile?

You do know how to create a clean profile, correct?
Thank you Semme,
I've been refreshing, but the problem is still there.
However, I can see that the inconvenience is perhaps due to the addon multi-account container. I tried to exclude it and it seems to me that things work better. I'll run some tests later.
For the moment, thanks again Semme.
hello
sonia

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

:D Refreshing?

You mean: firefox --ProfileManager

While add-ons can most certainly run interference, Profile Manager makes managing multi-accounts easy.

What you want though is to start FF via script so as to guarantee the profile you want is the one that gets launched.
Attachments
mozilla_pro-man.jpg
(70.52 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

soniabu

#5 Post by soniabu »

sorry for the delay; but I went to Canada for a month and couldn't look at your answer and conform to your kind reply. However now it has been solved but another problem has been created with FF 66 0.3 since I no longer hear the sound in ff: can't hear movies, music etc; while on Palemoon all works correctly. All this happened as soon as I updated FFox to 66 0.3.
What a mess!
anyway thanks for your previous answer.
Sonia :D

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Pale Moon is basically Firefox with stuff working.
What is Firefox giving you that Pale Moon will not?

All I see on this forum is constant problems with Firefox.

Pale Moon comes pre-installed in Bionicpup64 8.0, because it just works.

Do you know that Pale Moon was started by people that worked on Firefox, but did not like the way Firefox was developing, so they left and started Pale Moon.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Bigpup, if Moonchild Productions were able to finalise their 'negotiations' with Mozilla vis-a-vis usage of the WideVine DRM modules, I don't think I'd bother with any other browser. But until they do - and the way things are going, it's not going to happen any time soon - I'll stick with Chrome/Chromium & the 'clones.

Two reasons; because

a) I've been with Chrome since day one - and I'm really used to it, and
b) Because watching NetFlix just works. No 'issues'. (And has done for years.)

As a side-note, I have to confess that ever since returning to the fold with the release of Quantum, I've had zero issues with it. Like you, I look round the forums, and sometimes think to myself, 'Christ Almighty, surely to God Puppians as a breed aren't this dense....'

How do folks generate so many self-inflicted problems, where they really don't exist in t' first place?

(*shakes head in disbelief*)

Mike. :wink:

a_salty_dogg

#8 Post by a_salty_dogg »

bigpup wrote: What is Firefox giving you that Pale Moon will not?
Simple answer, bigpup... add-ons!

For me specifically, Video DownloadHelper; the "legacy" version which installs in Palemoon is so old as to be useless (same result with many others!)

That's the reason I've sadly not been able to use Palemoon as my sole browser for a very long time, even though I vastly prefer it to any other as my daily workhorse.

Oh, also here in England we'll all be desperate very soon to have access to a reliable, speedy, free, proxy VPN add-on like Hoxx for most of our browsing, if the Nasty Party get their wish in July and turn our damp little feudal island into the world's most viciously censored one! :evil:

soniabu

#9 Post by soniabu »

bigpup wrote:Pale Moon is basically Firefox with stuff working.
What is Firefox giving you that Pale Moon will not?
All I see on this forum is constant problems with Firefox.
Pale Moon comes pre-installed in Bionicpup64 8.0, because it just works.
Do you know that Pale Moon was started by people that worked on Firefox, but did not like the way Firefox was developing, so they left and started Pale Moon.
Oh! Thanks Bigpup for these clarifications.
I would gladly use Pale, however there are addons that I don't find in it, eg.
DowloaderHelper can't find it; UblockOrigin(strange I find UblockOriginUpdate but no UblockOrigin); privacy possum.; redirect; invidious redirect.
I would like these addons(or similar) in Pale to use it as default.
For the moment I use Pale for everything that interests me; even if the previous addons I miss a little.
Anyway, thanks for your info; they are instructive for me.
sonia

P.S.solved: I installed FFx again and everything was magically restored.
That's okay.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Firefox sometimes freezes on me when it has many tabs open. I've never figured out why. The rest of Puppy still functions fine, so I just restart the X server and then restart Firefox and choose the "restore all tabs" option. I've never timed it but it seems like in about 15 seconds I'm back where I was before Firefox froze.