Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 04:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2019, 21:27    Post subject: Re: I appologize for beeing rude in advance  

iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote:
iaiai wrote:

Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.
am still looking up more info but seems some processors that could be considered i686 don't have SSE2 that means not working applications that require it like palemoon or the blender 2.79b

Have you tried the following palemoon?

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

thanks anyway for such fast reply, i'm gonna keep looking for more info

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android

Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old Sad , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:
Code:
wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 00:35    Post subject:  

Deleted
iaiai

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 12:20    Post subject: Re: I appologize for beeing rude in advance  

jrb wrote:
iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote:
iaiai wrote:

Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.
am still looking up more info but seems some processors that could be considered i686 don't have SSE2 that means not working applications that require it like palemoon or the blender 2.79b

Have you tried the following palemoon?

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2

Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

thanks anyway for such fast reply, i'm gonna keep looking for more info

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android

Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old Sad , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:
Code:
wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.

Hi , thanks a lot, i already found some working palemoon, but thank you
also is nice to know some shell script commands if something goes wrong in the future

the original post had a link ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux
am sure the link was like that because i tried that link on different computers with different browsers on them, an it didn't work

BUT after trying things out on ftp://ftp.palemoon.org is a readme file about not accessing the ftp that way or something

anyway found some working palemoon, but was kind of late and i was drunk so, sorry didn't respond
there is even a palemoon pet on this forum somewhere (youtube not working for me with this version but in case of emergency is good)

??? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=936686#936686

and tweaked palemoon that works with youtube (well yesterday it worked)

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=145717&sid=b1791c838e1dca3b0282f3295ba8c1bb#p145717

Sorry for the link to different forum
and sorry for the link to some download ,
well it is the same as posted before

well thank you all for your help

@jrb > now i want to know where to get the 12.16 opera XD old opera rulez , i thought that 12.15 is the last for linux, gonna search the web no need to worry Smile

@mikeslr > also thank you for the link to Opera mini, gonna check it
but also was thinking about some mobile webbrowser that is open source so that it could be modified or forked when needed and also updated by some bigger company since the development on the web standards seem crazy *cough* google *cough* fast

and to the more important thing about not using md5 for checksums...

mikeslr wrote:

...But there seems to be something seriously wrong with your system. The link provided by Watchdog to palemoon..sse does download the tar.bz2 file.

@mikeslr > yeah it is , more then i can think of and it seem to be related to motherboard
, one touch on the FSB or frequency or the multiplier and strange things start to happen , CPU test run ok (some number calculations) and memory tests run OK
but it's visible with the SHA256 check sums, on the 100MB+ single files (packed or normal like .mp3s)
with SHA256 file seem corrupted (on first or second check) but MD5 still says that the checksum is OK

so please for more accurate check, use something different then MD5
it helps to know when something is wrong with HW

p.s.: sorry for the long posts , guess nobody reads it anyway XD
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 12:38    Post subject: Old Opera 12.16  

"Where can I get old opera 12.16?"

Several places, including somewhere on ibiblio>Puppy>pets if I recall correctly. Or from the Opera Website "old versions". Just download a tar.gz or .deb, unpack it and start it by clicking its binary, or creating a symbolic link (and perhaps a Menu entry).

Opera 12,16 is a "no-arch" 32-bit application, meaning it will run under any 32-bit Puppy. So, here's a direct link to a version on Smokey's repository: http://smokey01.com/carolina/old_packages/, Just scroll down and handle like any other pet.
a_salty_dogg

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2019, 18:38    Post subject:  

For future reference, if anyone should need it, here's the link to Palemoon's own archive of all prior versions for both Linux and Windoze:

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 23 Apr 2019, 00:00    Post subject:  

a_salty_dogg wrote:
For future reference, if anyone should need it, here's the link to Palemoon's own archive of all prior versions for both Linux and Windoze:

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/

These are the official builds. The SSE builds are contributed packages by Walter Dnes. The last SSE build is the 27.9.4 of which I provided the link. No more SSE support for palemoon 28. There is a glibctweaked package of the SSE 27.9.4 build at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=973676#973676
futwerk

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2019, 17:07    Post subject:  

new backgrounds.
preciselight12.jpg
 Description   https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/
 Filesize   72.12 KB
 Viewed   560 Time(s)

preciselight12.jpg

preciselight11.jpg
 Filesize   27.95 KB
 Viewed   563 Time(s)

preciselight11.jpg

preciselight10.jpg
 Filesize   31.73 KB
 Viewed   562 Time(s)

preciselight10.jpg

preciselight9.jpg
 Filesize   19.75 KB
 Viewed   564 Time(s)

preciselight9.jpg

jrb

PostPosted: Sat 27 Apr 2019, 07:52    Post subject:  

futwerk wrote:
new backgrounds.

Thanks again futwerk. Very Happy
precise11.jpg
 Description   precise11.jpg in action
 Filesize   56.06 KB
 Viewed   493 Time(s)

precise11.jpg

quirkian2new

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2019, 05:14    Post subject:  

Thank you, jrb. VERY MUCH appreciated for your excellent job.

Applied the delta1 and gets an +1.iso whose size is 2 MB less.

With glibc 2.20 and gtk3, most modern and recent browsers can be run and many otherwise-been-scrapped ancient machines can be used again.

Thank you again
jrb

PostPosted: Sun 28 Apr 2019, 06:19    Post subject:  

quirkian2new wrote:
Thank you, jrb. VERY MUCH appreciated for your excellent job.

Applied the delta1 and gets an +1.iso whose size is 2 MB less.

With glibc 2.20 and gtk3, most modern and recent browsers can be run and many otherwise-been-scrapped ancient machines can be used again.

Thank you again

You're very welcome quirkian2new. What kind of machine(s) are you running it on, cpu, ram, etc.
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2019, 09:09    Post subject:  

@jrb,

I tested precise-light on a machine with 2GB ram laptop (more than 10yrs old) and all is very smooth, except that ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).

Does anyone encounter this hang at shutdown ?
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Wed 01 May 2019, 11:32    Post subject:
Subject description: Hang on shutdown?

quirkian2new (in part) wrote:
.. ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).

No hang so far.

First was with pfix=ram. I did not save it at shutdown.
Next boot with pfix=ram, I saved to a file.
Next boot, I used the save file.

That's all I did. No use of firefox or anything.
Sorry. I hope the problem will be solved.

Done on this Dell Latitude E6410 with 4GB.

jrb

PostPosted: Thu 02 May 2019, 17:14    Post subject:  

quirkian2new wrote:
@jrb,

I tested precise-light on a machine with 2GB ram laptop (more than 10yrs old) and all is very smooth, except that ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).

I have one laptop which used to hang on shutdown with every Puppy I tried, except Tahr605. Now every Puppy I use on that machine uses the kernel from Tahr605 (zdrv), sadly that's the kernel you're using with Precise. Other kernels are available at http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/huge_kernels/. Just Uxtract them, change name to zdrv_precise_min-5.7.1.sfs and vmlinuz, then place them in your Puppy directory.

You might search the forum for mentions of your machine to see what works. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q#gsc.tab=0

Good Luck, J
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 02 May 2019, 19:37    Post subject: Huge-kernels in Light Pups  

G'day jrb,

Is there likely to be any problem putting a fairly new huge-kernel into Precise-Light (and Bionic32-Light)?

I have three old desktops on the home network for the grandkids to (ab)use when they visit. These old HPs were ethernetted but I have just switched these over to wifi using cheap usb dongles.
The dongles needed a kernel-specific driver which forum-member perdido made for me and has survived their first attack/visit.

The computers run Bionic32 but I am thinking I could add a Light Pup or two to these 1GB RAM Hyper-threading computers if they accept the dongle-needing 4.9.163 kernel.

Thanks,

David S.
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Fri 03 May 2019, 05:29    Post subject:  

Thanks jrb for your reply.

I have a suggetion if you can further remove some "seldom used" items so that the main sfs is even smaller. One of the seldom used is "grub4dos/grub/ syslinux" ,that is in /usr directory, which i think is very very rarely used (at least for me i have not used them for more than five yrs). Also i have not done any harddisk parition/re-partition process for more than 5 yrs.

I always run puppy/Fatdog frugally and without any savefile.

Maybe other forum members can suggest/vote what is meant by "seldom used" because i cannot represent all the rest.
Page 10 of 17 [245 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: