Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jrb

Re: I appologize for beeing rude in advance

#136 Post by jrb »

iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote:
iaiai wrote: Palemoon doesn't work for me and guess for more people running on old AMD.
am still looking up more info but seems some processors that could be considered i686 don't have SSE2 that means not working applications that require it like palemoon or the blender 2.79b
Have you tried the following palemoon?

ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2
Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

thanks anyway for such fast reply, i'm gonna keep looking for more info

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android
Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old :( , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.

nic007

#137 Post by nic007 »

Deleted

iaiai

Re: I appologize for beeing rude in advance

#138 Post by iaiai »

jrb wrote:
iaiai wrote:
watchdog wrote: Have you tried the following palemoon?

Hi , sorry but for me it seems the link doesn't work (empty page even without any warning)

looking around, but so far it seem they stopped to release newer versions, and as with old Opera, don't know if older version of any browser will be any help for the "new' web (some pages not available or not drawn properly)

thanks anyway for such fast reply, i'm gonna keep looking for more info

BTW to the developers or some code mages , what would be needed to compile or hack around some mobile or tablet browsers (android) to work on old puppies ? as it seems there is also x86 version of android
Hi guys, I'm afraid I don't know much about this problem but I just tried downloading the above link in Opera-12.16, my favorite, old :( , browser. The download froze. So I right-clicked on the link, chose "Copy link address". Opened a terminal, typed "wget -c", clicked the middle mouse button in the terminal and had:

Code: Select all

wget -c ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/palemoon-27.9.4SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
This worked nicely to download the file.

I hope that will work for you, Cheers, J

BTW, the -c option in wget means that if your download freezes, you can Ctrl+c in the terminal, tap the up arrow key, tap enter and it will continue on from where it left off.
Hi , thanks a lot, i already found some working palemoon, but thank you
also is nice to know some shell script commands if something goes wrong in the future

the original post had a link ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux
am sure the link was like that because i tried that link on different computers with different browsers on them, an it didn't work

BUT after trying things out on ftp://ftp.palemoon.org is a readme file about not accessing the ftp that way or something

anyway found some working palemoon, but was kind of late and i was drunk so, sorry didn't respond
there is even a palemoon pet on this forum somewhere (youtube not working for me with this version but in case of emergency is good)

??? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 686#936686

and tweaked palemoon that works with youtube (well yesterday it worked)

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... bb#p145717

Sorry for the link to different forum
and sorry for the link to some download ,
well it is the same as posted before

well thank you all for your help

@jrb > now i want to know where to get the 12.16 opera XD old opera rulez , i thought that 12.15 is the last for linux, gonna search the web no need to worry :)

@mikeslr > also thank you for the link to Opera mini, gonna check it
but also was thinking about some mobile webbrowser that is open source so that it could be modified or forked when needed and also updated by some bigger company since the development on the web standards seem crazy *cough* google *cough* fast

and to the more important thing about not using md5 for checksums...
mikeslr wrote: ...But there seems to be something seriously wrong with your system. The link provided by Watchdog to palemoon..sse does download the tar.bz2 file.
@mikeslr > yeah it is , more then i can think of and it seem to be related to motherboard
, one touch on the FSB or frequency or the multiplier and strange things start to happen , CPU test run ok (some number calculations) and memory tests run OK
but it's visible with the SHA256 check sums, on the 100MB+ single files (packed or normal like .mp3s)
with SHA256 file seem corrupted (on first or second check) but MD5 still says that the checksum is OK

so please for more accurate check, use something different then MD5
it helps to know when something is wrong with HW

p.s.: sorry for the long posts , guess nobody reads it anyway XD

mikeslr

Old Opera 12.16

#139 Post by mikeslr »

"Where can I get old opera 12.16?"

Several places, including somewhere on ibiblio>Puppy>pets if I recall correctly. Or from the Opera Website "old versions". Just download a tar.gz or .deb, unpack it and start it by clicking its binary, or creating a symbolic link (and perhaps a Menu entry).

Opera 12,16 is a "no-arch" 32-bit application, meaning it will run under any 32-bit Puppy. So, here's a direct link to a version on Smokey's repository: http://smokey01.com/carolina/old_packages/, Just scroll down and handle like any other pet.

a_salty_dogg

#140 Post by a_salty_dogg »

For future reference, if anyone should need it, here's the link to Palemoon's own archive of all prior versions for both Linux and Windoze:

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/

watchdog

#141 Post by watchdog »

a_salty_dogg wrote:For future reference, if anyone should need it, here's the link to Palemoon's own archive of all prior versions for both Linux and Windoze:

ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/
These are the official builds. The SSE builds are contributed packages by Walter Dnes. The last SSE build is the 27.9.4 of which I provided the link. No more SSE support for palemoon 28. There is a glibctweaked package of the SSE 27.9.4 build at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#973676

futwerk

#142 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
preciselight12.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/
(72.12 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
preciselight11.jpg
(27.95 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
preciselight10.jpg
(31.73 KiB) Downloaded 687 times
preciselight9.jpg
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 689 times

jrb

#143 Post by jrb »

futwerk wrote:new backgrounds.
Thanks again futwerk. :D
Attachments
precise11.jpg
precise11.jpg in action
(56.06 KiB) Downloaded 616 times

quirkian2new

#144 Post by quirkian2new »

Thank you, jrb. VERY MUCH appreciated for your excellent job.

Applied the delta1 and gets an +1.iso whose size is 2 MB less.

With glibc 2.20 and gtk3, most modern and recent browsers can be run and many otherwise-been-scrapped ancient machines can be used again.

Thank you again

jrb

#145 Post by jrb »

quirkian2new wrote:Thank you, jrb. VERY MUCH appreciated for your excellent job.

Applied the delta1 and gets an +1.iso whose size is 2 MB less.

With glibc 2.20 and gtk3, most modern and recent browsers can be run and many otherwise-been-scrapped ancient machines can be used again.

Thank you again
You're very welcome quirkian2new. What kind of machine(s) are you running it on, cpu, ram, etc.

quirkian2new

#146 Post by quirkian2new »

@jrb,

I tested precise-light on a machine with 2GB ram laptop (more than 10yrs old) and all is very smooth, except that ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).

Does anyone encounter this hang at shutdown ?

sheldonisaac

#147 Post by sheldonisaac »

quirkian2new (in part) wrote:.. ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).
No hang so far.

First was with pfix=ram. I did not save it at shutdown.
Next boot with pfix=ram, I saved to a file.
Next boot, I used the save file.

That's all I did. No use of firefox or anything.
Sorry. I hope the problem will be solved.

Done on this Dell Latitude E6410 with 4GB.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

jrb

#148 Post by jrb »

quirkian2new wrote:@jrb,

I tested precise-light on a machine with 2GB ram laptop (more than 10yrs old) and all is very smooth, except that ocassionally when i shutdown the machine only displays "Precise-light 5.7.1 .........................." and hangs there. This bugs seems to happen after i close firefox-esr 60.6.1 (but i am not too sure).

I have one laptop which used to hang on shutdown with every Puppy I tried, except Tahr605. Now every Puppy I use on that machine uses the kernel from Tahr605 (zdrv), sadly that's the kernel you're using with Precise. Other kernels are available at http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/huge_kernels/. Just Uxtract them, change name to zdrv_precise_min-5.7.1.sfs and vmlinuz, then place them in your Puppy directory.

You might search the forum for mentions of your machine to see what works. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... #gsc.tab=0

Good Luck, J

davids45

Huge-kernels in Light Pups

#149 Post by davids45 »

G'day jrb,

Is there likely to be any problem putting a fairly new huge-kernel into Precise-Light (and Bionic32-Light)?

I have three old desktops on the home network for the grandkids to (ab)use when they visit. These old HPs were ethernetted but I have just switched these over to wifi using cheap usb dongles.
The dongles needed a kernel-specific driver which forum-member perdido made for me and has survived their first attack/visit.

The computers run Bionic32 but I am thinking I could add a Light Pup or two to these 1GB RAM Hyper-threading computers if they accept the dongle-needing 4.9.163 kernel.

Thanks,

David S.

quirkian2new

#150 Post by quirkian2new »

Thanks jrb for your reply.

I have a suggetion if you can further remove some "seldom used" items so that the main sfs is even smaller. One of the seldom used is "grub4dos/grub/ syslinux" ,that is in /usr directory, which i think is very very rarely used (at least for me i have not used them for more than five yrs). Also i have not done any harddisk parition/re-partition process for more than 5 yrs.

I always run puppy/Fatdog frugally and without any savefile.

Maybe other forum members can suggest/vote what is meant by "seldom used" because i cannot represent all the rest.

jrb

Re: Huge-kernels in Light Pups

#151 Post by jrb »

davids45 wrote:G'day jrb,

Is there likely to be any problem putting a fairly new huge-kernel into Precise-Light (and Bionic32-Light)?

I have three old desktops on the home network for the grandkids to (ab)use when they visit. These old HPs were ethernetted but I have just switched these over to wifi using cheap usb dongles.
The dongles needed a kernel-specific driver which forum-member perdido made for me and has survived their first attack/visit.

The computers run Bionic32 but I am thinking I could add a Light Pup or two to these 1GB RAM Hyper-threading computers if they accept the dongle-needing 4.9.163 kernel.

Thanks,

David S.
Shouldn't be a problem. I had the 4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae kernel handy so I booted with that and all seems well.
Attachments
Precise-light_newer_kernel.jpg
Precis-light with 4.9.96-lxpup-32-pae kernel
(50.54 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

jrb

#152 Post by jrb »

quirkian2new wrote:Thanks jrb for your reply.

I have a suggetion if you can further remove some "seldom used" items so that the main sfs is even smaller. One of the seldom used is "grub4dos/grub/ syslinux" ,that is in /usr directory, which i think is very very rarely used (at least for me i have not used them for more than five yrs). Also i have not done any harddisk parition/re-partition process for more than 5 yrs.

I always run puppy/Fatdog frugally and without any savefile.

Maybe other forum members can suggest/vote what is meant by "seldom used" because i cannot represent all the rest.
Good Morning quirkian2new, Once upon a time I stripped everything out of Puppies that I could, barebones they were called, so that people could build their own versions. Way too many headaches trying to get things to run again. I have attached an image showing how I decide what to eliminate now. You can right click on a directory, in Precise-light anyway, and choose "Gdmap_Preview". It will show you the relative sizes of all the files in the directory. If you do that for /initrd/pup_ro2, it will show you the entire Puppy.sfs. I have included the Grub4dos directory of the extracted .pet as well. You can see, even expanded it's pretty small 386.03Kb. My motto is get rid of the big stuff, leave the rest, besides I still use Grub4dos and I still partition disks :D

Note: I feel very graphical this morning
Attachments
Precise-light_file_sizes.jpg
relative file sizes
(46.71 KiB) Downloaded 711 times

jrb

#153 Post by jrb »

I have just posted Portable Browser Installer which will download the latest Firefox, Palemoon and/or Seamonkey, install them to a drive of your choice, remember that drive even if the name changes (usb order of insertion), place an entry on the Internet menu and ask if you want to make it your default browser.

Running this way will save use of ram as the browser files are not uploaded to ram like Puppy.

For Precise-light you will need to upgrade Yad to get the gui functional. When you install this .pet it will offer to download:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... mmon32.pet to the root directory.

Works very well in Precise-light for me. I may issue an update soon with the updated Yad and the Portable Browser Installer. Let me know what you think.

keniv

#154 Post by keniv »

Hello jrb,
I have installed your precise light on my old Toshiba laptop. It might have the poorest spec of any machine using it at p3 800MHz and 320MB though I am ready to be corrected. It seems to be working fine. I have installed palemoon 27.9.4SSE as the browser. I think its the most up to date one I can use on this machine. I also use it with lucid 528 which I also have on the machine. I don't know if there is a portable version of this but if there is would it be possible to include it in your "portable browser installer" if you decide to add it to your update. I would help those with low spec machines to run a reasonable browser from the off. Thanks for all your work on precise light.

Regards,

Ken.

jrb

#155 Post by jrb »

keniv wrote:Hello jrb,
I have installed your precise light on my old Toshiba laptop. It might have the poorest spec of any machine using it at p3 800MHz and 320MB though I am ready to be corrected. It seems to be working fine. I have installed palemoon 27.9.4SSE as the browser. I think its the most up to date one I can use on this machine. I also use it with lucid 528 which I also have on the machine. I don't know if there is a portable version of this but if there is would it be possible to include it in your "portable browser installer" if you decide to add it to your update. I would help those with low spec machines to run a reasonable browser from the off. Thanks for all your work on precise light.

Regards,

Ken.
Hi Ken, Glad to hear that Precise-light is working for you! I just downloaded palemoon 27.9.4SSE and I'll have a go at building a portable installer for it. I don't think I'll bundle it with the others but will post it as a seperate .pet.

Cheers, J