Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 15 Dec 2019, 17:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Precise-light - 17March2019 - for older hardware
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 17 [254 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Author Message
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14554
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 01:27    Post subject:  

Hi gang.

Forum member Norgo builds Seamonkeys 2.49.x based on GTK2 as a
hobby, for fun! Wink Wink PM him? Sorry for leaking the secret out, Norgo! Laughing

He's offering a German version of SM-2.49.4 here,
and a French version of SM-2.49.3 here

All you guys have to do is get and install the English language pack for
one of the above,
from https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.4
or https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.3
and away you go! Very Happy

BFN.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3200
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 04:35    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi gang.

Forum member Norgo builds Seamonkeys 2.49.x based on GTK2 as a
hobby, for fun! Wink Wink PM him? Sorry for leaking the secret out, Norgo! Laughing

He's offering a German version of SM-2.49.4 here,
and a French version of SM-2.49.3 here

All you guys have to do is get and install the English language pack for
one of the above,
from https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.4
or https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/2.49.3
and away you go! Very Happy

BFN.

Good to know but is it fully operational and functional, I mean does EVERYTHING really work as it should? I guess one wouldn't know if you don't test it thoroughly. Just installing that GTK3 package (which seems small enough) is a safer option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 19:47    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
... Just installing that GTK3 package (which seems small enough) is a safer option.

gtk+3-3.18.9|gtk+3|3.18.9|1|BuildingBlock|70370K| Shocked
at-spi2-atk-2.18.1|at-spi2-atk|2.18.1|1|BuildingBlock|300K|
at-spi2-core-2.18.3|at-spi2-core|2.18.3|1|BuildingBlock|2170K|
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sheldonisaac

Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 869
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 20:07    Post subject:
Subject description: ext4
 

mavrothal In part) wrote:
.. on first shutdown will not save on ext4 partitions.
This is because guess_fstype reports ext4 as ext3 resulting in failure when trying to "mount -t ext3 /dev/sdxN" to generate the savefile.

Oh, I'd been concerned about that; bigpup commented a few posts down.
But when I downloaded it today, and put it on the SSD (sda1, ext4) of this Latitude E6410, it made the save folder OK ??

I just looked, and see
Code:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 25984 Apr  6 09:00 /mnt/+mnt+home+PrecLight+puppy_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs/sbin/guess_fstype
Code:

ls -tl /mnt/home/PrecLight/
total 130920
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root     4096 Apr  7 18:31 precisesave-apr7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 80244768 Apr  6 09:03 puppy_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1326009 Apr  6 08:59 initrd.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3574864 Apr  6 08:59 vmlinuz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27488288 Apr  6 08:59 zdrv_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 21413888 Dec 23 20:10 adrv_precise_light-5.7.1.sfs

_________________
Dell E6410: BusterPup, Ermine, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Mini 9, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jrb


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 1329
Location: Smithers, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 21:31    Post subject:  

I just got FireFox66 working.Very Happy That's the good news. The bad news is I don't really understand how. Confused But here goes anyway:

I downloaded firefox-official-66.0.tazpkg from https://mirror.clarkson.edu/slitaz/packages/cooking/. (There are other language versions in there as well) Why would I do that you ask? Because at it's core Slitaz cooking is basically about the same era as Precise and many of the packages will work in Precise. I then installed gtk+3-3.14.8.tazpkg. Then I installed Perdido's libgtk-3-0_3.4.2_i386_precise.pet from above. After all that it seems to be working very well. (Trial and Error)

The tools that I use to work with tazpkgs are already in my Precises, just right click on a tazpkg and you will see taz2pet and untaz2. I am attaching them here in case you want to use them somewhere else.

Edit: The process works just as well with the official download at www.mozilla.com
taz2pet-0.4.pet
Description  convert tazpkgs to pets
pet

 Download 
Filename  taz2pet-0.4.pet 
Filesize  1.19 KB 
Downloaded  206 Time(s) 

Last edited by jrb on Sun 07 Apr 2019, 23:37; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3200
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 21:41    Post subject:  

norgo wrote:
nic007 wrote:
... Just installing that GTK3 package (which seems small enough) is a safer option.

gtk+3-3.18.9|gtk+3|3.18.9|1|BuildingBlock|70370K| Shocked
at-spi2-atk-2.18.1|at-spi2-atk|2.18.1|1|BuildingBlock|300K|
at-spi2-core-2.18.3|at-spi2-core|2.18.3|1|BuildingBlock|2170K|


Do you need all of that? Not sure if I read the other posts on this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14554
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 22:37    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
jrb wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Nice!
Do not remember if this was also true for Precise original but on first shutdown will not save on ext4 partitions.
This is because guess_fstype reports ext4 as ext3 resulting in failure when trying to "mount -t ext3 /dev/sdxN" to generate the savefile.

Thanks for trying it. I've had problems in the past with input/output errors with ext4 so all my drives are ext3. If you can suggest a fix I'll be happy to incorporate it.

Just replace it with the one from more recent puppies

Hi mavrothal.

Sorry for being so dumb... Euh... "just replace" what?
The kernel (aka vmlinuz)?

TIA for any pointers.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 1446
Location: ¿Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.?

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 23:45    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
norgo wrote:
nic007 wrote:
... Just installing that GTK3 package (which seems small enough) is a safer option.

gtk+3-3.18.9|gtk+3|3.18.9|1|BuildingBlock|70370K| Shocked
at-spi2-atk-2.18.1|at-spi2-atk|2.18.1|1|BuildingBlock|300K|
at-spi2-core-2.18.3|at-spi2-core|2.18.3|1|BuildingBlock|2170K|


Do you need all of that? Not sure if I read the other posts on this thread.


The libgtk-3-0_3.4.2_i386_precise.pet is 2MB, probably a misunderstanding about which package was being discussed.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mavrothal


Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 3089

PostPosted: Sun 07 Apr 2019, 23:52    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
jrb wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
This is because guess_fstype reports ext4 as ext3
If you can suggest a fix

Just replace it ... from more recent puppies
pointers

_________________
== Here is how to solve your Linux problems fast ==
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 01:59    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
...probably a misunderstanding about which package was being discussed..
indeed Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
musher0

Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 14554
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 02:25    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
musher0 wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
jrb wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
This is because guess_fstype reports ext4 as ext3
If you can suggest a fix

Just replace it ... from more recent puppies
pointers

Will the blkid utility of the newer Pup be compatible with the glibc version
of the Precise?

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
Je suis né pour aimer et non pas pour haïr. (Sophocle) /
I was born to love and not to hate. (Sophocles)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3200
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 02:44    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
nic007 wrote:
norgo wrote:
nic007 wrote:
... Just installing that GTK3 package (which seems small enough) is a safer option.

gtk+3-3.18.9|gtk+3|3.18.9|1|BuildingBlock|70370K| Shocked
at-spi2-atk-2.18.1|at-spi2-atk|2.18.1|1|BuildingBlock|300K|
at-spi2-core-2.18.3|at-spi2-core|2.18.3|1|BuildingBlock|2170K|


Do you need all of that? Not sure if I read the other posts on this thread.


The libgtk-3-0_3.4.2_i386_precise.pet is 2MB, probably a misunderstanding about which package was being discussed.

.

The question remains whether this small pet package of 2MB is the only requirement to get Seamonkey 2.49 to work with Precise? Norgo suggests you need the big GTK3 package with all the core/libraries concerned. Please clear the confusion, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
norgo


Joined: 13 Nov 2015
Posts: 354
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 03:29    Post subject:  

@nic007
easy to answer
I need the gtk3 package not at all

I'm very sure that my SM version will not work in Precise.
What glibc version is installed ? Sorry for this question but I don't use Precise
or launch SM in a terminal to get to know what is missing or to old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3200
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 03:35    Post subject:  

Yes, I understand you are not using GTK3 for your packages. Precise has glibc2.15. BTW This thread is about Precise and there are suggested "methods" to get Seamonkey 2.49 going, one was this small pet offering. I hope someone can give us a definite answer on a not too difficult question, I don't feel like downloading Seamonkey 2.49 just for testing. I'm currently using Seamonkey 2.48 with Precise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
perdido


Joined: 09 Dec 2013
Posts: 1446
Location: ¿Altair IV , Just north of Eeyore Junction.?

PostPosted: Mon 08 Apr 2019, 04:24    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Yes, I understand you are not using GTK3 for your packages. Precise has glibc2.15. BTW This thread is about Precise and there are suggested "methods" to get Seamonkey 2.49 going, one was this small pet offering. I hope someone can give us a definite answer on a not too difficult question, I don't feel like downloading Seamonkey 2.49 just for testing. I'm currently using Seamonkey 2.48 with Precise.


The GTK3 PET allows seamonkey v2.49 to run as reported by jrb on page1 of this thread.
I originally put the pet together for precise 5.7.1 to run firefox 46+ that requires GTK3


.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 17 [254 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 15, 16, 17 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1827s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0340s) ][ GZIP on ]