theeastsun wrote:how to install a wifi modem
Hi theeastsun,

Modem? or wifi adapter?

theeastsun

#467 Post by theeastsun »

problem solved,thanks

s243a

#468 Post by s243a »

Another package that we need to block is "upstart". This package installed via a dependency of something that I installed. It replaced the puppy script at /sbin/init

I think this is why my save file was having syncing issues on switchroot. Related packages that we might also want to block are sysv-rc and sysvinit. Both of these packages installed as a dependency but I'm not sure yet if they cause any problems.

Edit: Verified that at least one youtube video plays on firefox 52. I don't know if all youtube formats will work for me yet.
Last edited by s243a on Thu 20 Feb 2020, 06:15, edited 3 times in total.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

s243a

#469 Post by s243a »

s243a wrote: I was able to install firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 with precise light running in a sandbox (using psandbox), over an ssh connection using pkg. I tested that firefox would start up properly using X11 forwarding but I didn't test it further.

Code: Select all

pkg --repo precise-updates
pkg --get firefox_52.0.2+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1
For instructions on how to run a puppy in a sandbox over ssh see: SSH/sandbox/chroot folder

I tried rebooting with my save file and I got a kernal syncing error after selecting the save file. I think that perhaps I have to delete some files from my save folder. I think that puppies remaster script will give me clues on which files to delete.

P.S. I might re-consider the fallback order for precise-updates. I'm wondering if for precise-updates if the newer repos (e.g. precise-backports) should be checked first. Needless to say installing firefox worked with the current fallback order .

P.S. #2 The command "pkg --repo precise-updates" changes the ~/.pkg/pkgrc file to match the info about precise-updates.
I can verify that firefox 52 is working. I'm posting from it now. I was able to sucesfully boot the computer via the save file I created in the sandbox. The only problem, that I know about was that upstart, seems to have gotton installed as a dependecy. This overwote /sbin/init (see post)

Prior to doing this I tried some other fixes like creating a basic save file and overwriting some files based on this save file and I also tried cleaning up some stuff that I thought might be sandbox related. I don't think these failed atempts at solving my sync issue are relevant but are probably usefull for other applications so I'll post about them later.

I only so far tested firefox 52 on this forum. I'm not ready to surf the web with it yet because I don't know how god it's security is...on second thoughts, maybe I'll give youtube a try.

Edit: Verified that at least one youtube video plays on firefox 52. I don't know if all youtube formats will work for me yet. Facebook also works :)
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

jrb

#470 Post by jrb »

s243a wrote:I can verify that firefox 52 is working.
OK, I finally got PortaBrowseInstall up to date and working for Precise-light. The Seamonkey website had changed and the latest Firefox Quantum no longer works in Precise-light.

I rejigged things to download and install the latest Firefox ESR which is at 68.5 and Fredx181's ff32-additions.tar.gz which enables sound. The ESR's change once a year or so but for now its working quite well.

Give it a try. Let me know of any bugs. I'll include this in the next update but there are some things I want to add before then.

Enjoy, J
Attachments
PortaBrowseInstall-i386-0.5A.pet
Portable browsers for Precise-light
(21.28 KiB) Downloaded 263 times

nic007

#471 Post by nic007 »

Where can I download the small glibc2.20 package that is built into Precise Lite?

jrb

#472 Post by jrb »

nic007 wrote:Where can I download the small glibc2.20 package that is built into Precise Lite?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... c-2.20.pet. This is one of Barry K's packages. Many thanks to him.

nic007

#473 Post by nic007 »

Thanks, jrb.

theeastsun

ask firefox

#474 Post by theeastsun »

sorry,where can i download the latest firefox pet for precise light,thanks

jrb

Re: ask firefox

#475 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:sorry,where can i download the latest firefox pet for precise light,thanks
Here or direct download Here

Edit: Sorry for the brief reply, I was on my way to bed. As I mention above, at present the very latest Firefox is not working in Precise-light so I switched the PortaBrowseInstaller over to Firefox ESR which is a long term support version.

If you want a language other than English you can go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... esktop-esr and download the 32bit version in a language of your choice. You will also need:

wget --no-check-certificate "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3rn1a4e4scmfdyv/ff32-additions.tar.gz?dl=1" -O ff32-additions.tar.gz
which is fredx181's apulse package for sound. It needs to be extracted and placed in the same folder with the Firefox files.

You could also install PortaBrowseInstaller and then modify /usr/local/PortableBrowserInstaller/ffesrportable-inst line 49. Change "FFLANG=en-US" to the language of your choice. Sorry I don't know all the language codes. PortaBrowseInstaller is on the Setup Menu.

I am presently working on getting the latest Firefox Quantum working again in Precise-light. It requires some upgrades from Tahrpup and I'm sorting that out now.

Edit2: Language codes and Firefox-esr available at https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rel ... inux-i686/

theeastsun

ask flash player

#476 Post by theeastsun »

sorry,where can i download the latest flash player for precise light,thanks

jrb

Re: Update to Precise-light Mk2.3

#477 Post by jrb »

OK, The latest Firefox wasn't working in Precise-light so I managed to get that fixed by swapping in some Tahrpup-6.0.5 libs. :D Precise-light is even more of a mongrel now. Surprisingly the new libs make Vivaldi and Iron work as well, coincedence or conspiracy? :wink:

I've just uploaded precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta - 32Mb - md5sum 875869f3cea2facb37cca052203cfded

If you have Mk2.0 just download the .delta and:
jrb wrote:Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal. 8)
Whats fixed:
  • All the previous fixes
    ca-certificates updated (eliminates need for --no-check-certificate)
    pmusic radio stations screened to include only ones that work (.mp3 $ .m3u)
    Flash Player Updater 1.9_1 working
    PortaBrowseInstall included with these latest browsers working:
    Firefox ESR
    Firefox Quantum
    Vivaldi
    Iron
    Seamonkey
    Palemoon
    Thunderbird
If you install Frisbee from PPM make sure you rename /usr/sbin/connectwizard_2nd-orig to /usr/sbin/connectwizard_2nd to put Frisbee on the connectwizard menu.

This is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT which I hope will extend Precise-lights working life for several more years!!!

Enjoy, J

Note: Sorry no ISO upload, but it took 1 1/2 hours just to upload the .delta. Life in the bush. :roll:

jrb

Re: ask flash player

#478 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:sorry,where can i download the latest flash player for precise light,thanks
I strongly suggest using the update in the post above and then going to Menu->Internet->FlashPlayerUpdater.

You could also download FlashPlayer_updater-1.9_1-Redux.pet and use it in any Puppy.

theeastsun

#479 Post by theeastsun »

jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal.

I installed via USB but failed:

could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32

help me,thanks

jrb

#480 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:jrb wrote:
Put the original precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso file and the precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.0.iso___precise-light-5.7.2-mk2.3.iso.delta file in the same directory.
Click once on the .delta file and then click "Generate" and its a done deal.

I installed via USB but failed:

could not find kernel image: vesamenu.c32

help me,thanks
Does your USB install have these files:
  • initrd.gz
    puppy_precise_light-5.7.2.sfs
    vmlinuz
    zdrv_precise_light-5.7.2.sfs
    menu.lst
menu.lst should not be in a seperate folder. The others may be.

What does your menu.lst say? Here's mine:

title 0_puptest2
  uuid 68ec550b-e5ce-477b-a83f-d275f32dfe74
  kernel /0_puptest2/vmlinuz net.ifnames=0 pdrv=68ec550b-e5ce-477b-a83f-d275f32dfe74 pmedia=ataflash psubdir=/0_puptest2 pfix=fsck
  initrd /0_puptest2/initrd.gz
Yours will be different. Please copy it and show us.

theeastsun

#481 Post by theeastsun »

in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
(103.25 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

jrb

#482 Post by jrb »

theeastsun wrote:in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Nice photo. It's been quite a while since I worked with syslinux. Can you post the contents of syslinux.cfg and isolinux.cfg?

theeastsun

#483 Post by theeastsun »

this is isolinux and syslinux file
Attachments
syslinux.png
(51.51 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
isolinux.png
(90.55 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

jrb

#484 Post by jrb »

jrb wrote:
theeastsun wrote:in my flashdisk there is no menu.lst file
Nice photo. It's been quite a while since I worked with syslinux. Can you post the contents of syslinux.cfg and isolinux.cfg?
I have to confess that I don't remember how I used syslinux before, :oops: its been years and even then I only did it once out of curiosity.

How did you install Puppy to your flashdrive? What operating system were you using and what program?

While in Precise_light-5.7.2 I used Menu->Setup->PuppyInstaller->UniversalInstaller->UsbFlashDrive->sdc1, formatted my usb to ext3 with Gparted and then Install_Puppy_to_sdc1. It installed the 4 main Puppy files to sdc1 and created a very simple extlinux.conf file in which I can add boot parameters. What I like most about it is you can swap in any Puppy files you choose without changing extlinux.conf. It is not Precise_light specific.

I always use Menu->Grup4dos_bootloader_config. It continues to allow me the most options and flexibility.

I see you are using a newer Windows computer. Perhaps there are problems I am unaware of. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will speak up about this.

mikeslr

#485 Post by mikeslr »

Hi theeastsun,

It's also been a while since I actually had to have functional isolinux.cfg and/or syslinux.cfg. But, I think fairly recently someone posted that however you installed Puppy to a USB-Key, when the application which created it writes "pmedia=cd" it has to be edited to read "pmedia=usbflash" [without the quotes].

I'm still blurry-eyed. But I counted four instances, all following the append arguments.