Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 16:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Openvpn and GPPTP both showing my real location
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 14:14    Post subject:  Openvpn and GPPTP both showing my real location  

Hello everyone,

GPPTP is installed by default in Bionicpup but my VPN service and all the articles say that PPTP has security flaws so I installed Openvpn with gadmin openvpn client. GPPTP is super easy to connect so I'm sure I didn't make any mistakes. Openvpn with the help of gadmin openvpn client is configured correctly as when I click on activate the GUI shows me : Activated.

But whether it's with GPPTP or with Openvpn, when I run a DNS leak test, it still shows my real location. So I'm afraid it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 15:25    Post subject:  

Hello,
I can't advise on GPPTP as I have never tried to use it. I am told that OpenVPN is a better system. I did experiment with gadmin openvpn client for a while but found it a bit fiddly and it may even be that it can show as "Activated" when it is not in fact connected or working properly.

You can of course run OpenVPN from command line but I have tried to cobble together a simple but functional way of clicking in and out of VPN
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113004
This was designed to work with a couple of the free providers, but it can be adapted for use with many of the paid-for ones also.

So we would need to know a little more about what you are doing and what you are seeing. Is this just a DNS leak or is the main IP address not changing to that of the VPN server?

You can divert your DNS look-ups away from your ISP and send them to a trusted provider by configuring your system. You can set up OpenVPN to change DNS and then change back when you disconnect, but for this your .ovpn configuration must have the needed lines in the config file.

Try to give more information including the VPN provider you are trying to use.

jafadmin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Apr 2019, 21:06    Post subject:  

I'm the maintainer of Gpptp.

For some reason when new distros are created they keep putting in the stock options.pptp file in /etc/ppp/

Here: /etc/ppp/options.pptp

.. At any rate, uncomment line 51 in that file and reboot and try connecting again.

Your first attempt to connect probably failed with: "ppp process was NOT created", then you tried again and it thought it did.

After you make the permanent change in that file it should work Ok.

Let me know ..
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 13:22    Post subject:  

jafadmin wrote:
I'm the maintainer of Gpptp.

For some reason when new distros are created they keep putting in the stock options.pptp file in /etc/ppp/

Here: /etc/ppp/options.pptp

.. At any rate, uncomment line 51 in that file and reboot and try connecting again.

Your first attempt to connect probably failed with: "ppp process was NOT created", then you tried again and it thought it did.

After you make the permanent change in that file it should work Ok.

Let me know ..

Hi,

I uncommented line 51 and rebooted but dns leak still shows my real location. When i connect here's what gpptp shows me :

Connecting to VPN server...
pptp process (7183) exited with 0

VPN ppp0 - (pid 7205) created ...

And it stays so untill I click on disconnect. So is it what's supposed to happen? Is it working? But then why does the dns leak test still show my real location?

Thanks in advance
jafadmin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 16:26    Post subject:  

I tested that on a Bionicpup iso I booted off a thumb, so it had no save file. I changed line 51 in the file indicated, then started Gpptp and entered the info for my PIA VPN.

Everything connected right, and the DNS leak test could only see my VPN address.

All I can suggest at this point is to try booting in RAM mode, trying what I said, and testing the result.

Without more information, I don't know what else to try ..
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 15:32    Post subject:  

I'm sure it's just a matter of settings and configuration. On Windows it's super easy they all have an app. You just click and connect. On linux it's a little more complicated. But I had read that PPTP was super easy. Server adress, username and password. I must be honest. I don't know anything about how to configure a vpn on Linux. GPPTP is installed by default on Puppy. The only thing I did was to go to the PPM and installed the package openvpn 2.4

About Openvpn, I followed the setup guide of my vpn service, with the ovpn file, etc... And it can't connect. GPPTP connects but dns leak still shows my real adress.

So I don't know. Is there something to simply activate the vpn option in Puppy? A package or something? I went on Youtube and they all change settings via the terminal or they activate the vpn in their network manager. No sign of vpn option in my network manager.

So my guess is that I didn't install something to activate the vpn option in Puppy. Or is it a matter of port forwarding? I can do that with my vpn service but I don't know anything about that. And it has to be selected to be added inside the config file for openvpn. And there are so many options to choose from. Here's my data :

Version of Puppy : Bionicpup 8
Vpn service : Airvpn
Actual settings : Protocol UDP port 443. But the choice is impressive. Between UDP, TCP, port this or that or that. the list is long and the options have to be ticked so they will generate the ovpn file.

And PPTP should be straight forward. But it still shows my real location. If anyone had an idea...

Thanks in advance
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2019, 15:56    Post subject:  

If it is just a DNS leak then what you can do is configure your DNS lookups to go to a trusted provider such as Quad 9 (set DNS to 9.9.9.9)
Alternatively search for public DNS servers and choose one.

I think that in Puppy if you want to do this it is better to use the "Dougal" Network Wizard which has this setting. The default Simple Network Setup is easier to use for most people, but it does not have this facility I don't think, or you can find that it reverts back on reboot sometimes.

Otherwise what happens is that your router sends the DNS lookup connections to your ISP's servers. These connections are like a side-branch which is not routed through the VPN encrypted tunnel pathway.

If you set the DNS with your network tool it eliminates the ISP DNS at all times, whether you are in VPN or not.

That is my understanding, others may correct me if I am wrong or offer deeper explanation.

jafadmin

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 11:14    Post subject:  

Gpptp sets the DNS servers to whatever servers your VPN provider assigns when you connect.

ABOUT PPTP SECURITY FLAWS: The flaws referred to so often are not in PPTP itself, just in Micro$oft's implementation of it.

The Unix/Linux implementations of PPTP do not have the security flaws.

I seriously doubt there are any public VPN providers that are using Windows Server to provide the service. The M$ implementation is a toy.

I hope this helps.

ALSO: If you are using VPN to provide anonymous browsing, all current VPN protocols provide that same functionality ..
rufwoof

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 11:31    Post subject:  

Don't know if its related or of any help but I just use a ssh socks proxy (set in firefox network settings), that however leaks dns unless I also set network.proxy.socks_remote_dns to true in about:config

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 13:52    Post subject:  

OK so what's strange is that I managed to install Raspbian for desktop on another usb stick and via openvpn it works right out of the box. But Raspbian is buggy and I've never had a single crash on Puppy so I want to stay here. But if it works right out of the box on Raspbian, there must be something to enable in Puppy. So, let's imagine that I start with a brand new fresh puppy install and that I just want to use pptp for ease of use. What are the steps? What do I have to do? activate things with PPM?

Sorry to bother you with that but I love puppy and I don't want to use another distro.

Thanks for your help. All of you
jafadmin

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 03:38    Post subject:  

@Fanofscifi,

1. I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing when you talk about "DNS leak". A "DNS leak" is when your dns requests resolve over a different network path than your web traffic goes. That is not possible using Gpptp in default mode as it sets the default route to the VPN tunnel.

2. The Gpptp app is merely a GTK2 front end for the Linux pptp program. It simplifies starting pptp by presenting a GUI app instead of doing command line implementation.

3. Besides the change to the /etc/ppp/options.pptp mentioned above, please make sure to read the /etc/ppp/gpptp/ReadMe.odt file for more helpful info.

You can check the success of the VPN tunnel by simply running the "route" command from a command prompt and making sure the "default" route is set to the "ppp0" interface. This means all network traffic (like DNS requests) except local subnet traffic is sent over the VPN.

Needless to say, when starting a VPN you should only have one single network interface active on your computer. No multiple NIC's.
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr 2019, 14:50    Post subject:  

I know it's not the perfect solution but I've discovered that my vpn service has an extension for Firefox. You must connect on your account via this extension and it encrypts your HTTP traffic with TLS protocol, has an option that allows disabling the WebRTC protocol and also a cybersec option, kind of adblock and does protection against malwares. I've tried it since yesterday and haven't had a single issue. All I really care about is to protect myself on the web. I mean, I'm not chatting on obscure forums nor into very dangerous or illegal activities. But my credit card has been hacked twice in 3 months while using Windows and that's why I really wanted to come back on Linux and thanks to you guys. So I'm happy this way for now. I really can use Puppy as my daily Linux distro.

Thanks for your help
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: