Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 14:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install .deb files?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 20:31    Post subject:  How to install .deb files?  

Hello everyone. I hope you're all ok. Coming from Xubuntu i was used to typing sudo dpkg -i nameofpackage.deb

i tried here but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong or is there another method in Puppy Linux?

Thanks in advance
s243a

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 20:56    Post subject: Re: How to install .deb files?  

Fanofscifi wrote:
Hello everyone. I hope you're all ok. Coming from Xubuntu i was used to typing sudo dpkg -i nameofpackage.deb

i tried here but it doesn't seem to work. Am I doing something wrong or is there another method in Puppy Linux?

Thanks in advance

Try either left or right clicking on it and see if it gives you the option to install.

If that doesn't work you in use dep2pet to covert it into a .pet package and then you can take the click to install approach.

You can also install the package from the command line using petget. I think the syntax is something like:
Code:

petget +pkgname #To install
peget -pkgname #To uninstall

A more robust approach to is to extract the deb file using uextract and then build the pet using dir2pet. The reason for this is that the debian postinstall scripts use a lot of debian specific tools and will likely work better if they are adapted to puppy. The post install script in puppy linux is called pinstall.sh (see wiki)

Note that uextract can be run on the command line and is probably already installed but if isn't it can be downloaded from the puppy package manager. dir2pet should also already be installed. The latest dir2pet code can be found from woofCE but might not be compatible with older puppies due to an extra level of wrapping that I note in another post.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 11 Apr 2019, 23:23    Post subject:  

This info will help you.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59597

Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr 2019, 15:51    Post subject:  

Thanks to the both of you. But I've realized reading the topics that installing deb packages wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I installed 3 of them and Puppy says "Successfully installed" but none of them work. But I haven't tried yet to solve the dependencies. Good idea. I'll try that and let you know.

Once again thanks to the community for their great support
s243a

PostPosted: Fri 12 Apr 2019, 16:33    Post subject:  

Fanofscifi wrote:
Thanks to the both of you. But I've realized reading the topics that installing deb packages wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I installed 3 of them and Puppy says "Successfully installed" but none of them work. But I haven't tried yet to solve the dependencies. Good idea. I'll try that and let you know.

Once again thanks to the community for their great support

Extract the deb with uexteract. You should see in the extracted archive a file called control. This will tell you what the dependencies are.

Alternatively if you are using dpup struch there is an option to download a package with it's dependencies. Once you do this you can copy the deb files into your target system and install them.

Another method of downloading the package with all it's dependencies is to use apt-get:
Code:

sudo apt-get install --download-only <package_name>

You could do this by running one of the "dogs" in a chroot environment.

There are also websites which tell you what all the dependencies are for a package. For example try one of the following google searches:
Code:

debian package <pkgname>

where <pkgname> is the name of the package you are searching for
Code:

ubuntu package <pkgname>

Now with all these techniques keep in mind that you should be using deb fils from a version of linux with simmilar versions of the base system libraries (e.g. glibc and ncurses). Otherwise the package you install might require newer libraries than are on your system. Let us know which version of puppy your using and which package you are trying to install and perhaps we can offer some help.

As a final note you can use ldd and strace to try to debug issues with a program starting. The utility strace will tell you where it is looking for a given library and the fix might be as simple as creating a symlink. To get either ldd or strace either load the devX for your version of puppy or install these tools via the package manager.
Fanofscifi

PostPosted: Sat 13 Apr 2019, 18:52    Post subject:  

I installed Lubuntu on Virtualbox and tried to install the deb package and it also crashed so from now on it's for sure. I'm a full time Puppy Linux user Very Happy
oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) - 3 PC's: DELL SX280 750 MB Pentium4, Acer emachines 2 GB AMD64. DELL XPS15

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 05:00    Post subject:  

Fanofscifi wrote:
But I haven't tried yet to solve the dependencies

the puppy installer checks the dependencies! But it checks, of course, the usual dependencies. As Puppy strip the base of the real Debian/Ubuntu installation, it can happen, that an "hidden dependencu" blocks...

start your new package installation in the terminal. In the most cases (sorry, not always) you will get a system message explaining why this don't work!

and don't use dpkg at all: some app's having low dependencies in the past have now a complete big chain of them because geo positionning, because video technik etc. It is tricky to install them correctly in the modern time!
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 11:27    Post subject:  

Hi Fanofscifi,

Always tell us which of the 5000 or so Puppies you are using and any information about your computer which may relate to an issue. It helps us help you.

As Qui wrote, after you install a deb try starting the application from the terminal. To do that you'll need to know the name of its executable. Usually that can be found by file-browsing to /usr/share/applications, scrolling until you see a file ending in ".desktop" likely to pertain to your application, Right-Click it, Select open with text-editor/geany. The name of the executable follows "Exec=".

Most often --but not always-- when attempting to use an application built for Ubuntu (or some other Major distro) in Puppies, the problem is one or more missing dependencies.

While typing the name-of-executable will give you some idea what went wrong, such as the FIRST missing library the application sought, once you know that name you can quickly find out if there are many missing dependencies (libraries) and which they are. Open Menu>Filesystem>pfind, click the system files button and type the name of the executable in the search box. The executable will always be in a /bin or /sbin folder, e.g. /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin. File browse to the executable and right-click it. From the popup menu select ListDD. In the window which opens, click the missing tab at the bottom-right. All missing libraries will be listed.

If your Puppy does not have ListDD (acronym for List Dynamic Dependencies) you can install it from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=802028#802028.

ListDD only works if your executable is a binary. A binary will look like a gear with 8 points. If it's a script, you can open it in geany/text-editor and find out what binary it calls; then browse to and ListDD the binary. But if it's a python module your stuck with having to serially (1) start via terminal; (2) deal with the problem reported; (3) repeat until all problem are solved or exhausted you give up. Regretfully, when python is involved the latter has been my most frequent outcome.
s243a

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 11:33    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Fanofscifi,

Always tell us which of the 5000 or so Puppies you are using and any information about your computer which may relate to an issue. It helps us help you.

As Qui wrote, after you install a deb try starting the application from the terminal. To do that you'll need to know the name of its executable. Usually that can be found by file-browsing to /usr/share/applications, scrolling until you see a file ending in ".desktop" likely to pertain to your application, Right-Click it, Select open with text-editor/geany. The name of the executable follows "Exec=".

Most often --but not always-- when attempting to use an application built for Ubuntu (or some other Major distro) in Puppies, the problem is one or more missing dependencies.

While typing the name-of-executable will give you some idea what went wrong, such as the FIRST missing library the application sought, once you know that name you can quickly find out if there are many missing dependencies (libraries) and which they are. Open Menu>Filesystem>pfind, click the system files button and type the name of the executable in the search box. The executable will always be in a /bin or /sbin folder, e.g. /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin. File browse to the executable and right-click it. From the popup menu select ListDD. In the window which opens, click the missing tab at the bottom-right. All missing libraries will be listed.

If your Puppy does not have ListDD (acronym for List Dynamic Dependencies) you can install it from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=802028#802028.

ListDD only works if your executable is a binary. A binary will look like a gear with 8 points. If it's a script, you can open it in geany/text-editor and find out what binary it calls; then browse to and ListDD the binary. But if it's a python module your stuck with having to serially (1) start via terminal; (2) deal with the problem reported; (3) repeat until all problem are solved or exhausted you give up. Regretfully, when python is involved the latter has been my most frequent outcome.

This is all good advise but let's not forget what I wrote above:
Quote:

Extract the deb with uexteract. You should see in the extracted archive a file called control. This will tell you what the dependencies are.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr 2019, 14:45    Post subject:  

s243a wrote

"Extract the deb with uexteract. You should see in the extracted archive a file called control. This will tell you what the dependencies are."

That's very good advice. I thought so when you first posted it. Now if I can only remember it. Rolling Eyes Hence, the adage in advertising, "Tell it to them three times." Surprised
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: