No sound in Firefox (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
vtpup

No sound in Firefox (Solved)

#1 Post by vtpup »

I've been trying to self-diagnose why sound stopped working in Firefox, a couple months ago, looked through a lot of posts here and also mozillazine and firefox help. No joy yet. So I'm asking for some help. Maybe I've missed sometihing:

Running Tahrpup 6.0.5 with a recent reinstall (frugal) on an Acer 5349 laptop.

Firefox version 66.0.3 (32 bit)

I have no problem with sound on Seamonkey (ver 2.49.4) it works great, and it is my preferred browser. However, I can't play DRM protected (Netflix) content on Seamonkey. If I could, the lack of sound in Firefox would be moot -- I wouldn't use it at all.

Okay, back to Firefox......

What's been attempted:

I have Pulseaudio_4.0 installed from the Ubunto repos.

I have tried installing Fred's ffmpeg 3 as recommended in a recent Firefox complaint thread. And using a link to that to replace avconf.

I have made sure the proper soundcard is selected, audio is not muted, retrovol and alsa panel is all correct, etc. nothing silly seems wrong.

In fact I can run Seamonkey and Firefox side by side, go to the same site and video in both, and Seamonkey provides sound with the playback and Firefox does not -- so all of the normal sound settings in Puppy are set properly. Just one browser plays sound, the other does not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of what to try next.
Last edited by vtpup on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

How did you install Firefox?

If it was me, I'd install Fred's portable firefox on /mnt/home. He has it setup with all the workarounds already done for you, with the added advantage of getting firefox and its profile out of your save folder.

See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1025219

You might need to uninstall pulse audio.

vtpup

#3 Post by vtpup »

Thanks Dancytron -- that worked!

I didn't install Fred's portable Firefox per se, but I did add to my existing Firefox installation the library files and script (called ff) that Fred attached in the forum post you linked to.

I did have to make a link from the firefox executable in the new Fred directory. And then added a link called "Firefox" on my desktop to ff. But that was all pretty easy.

And Firefox sound works now, so thanks again!
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]