Wireless adapter issue in Dpup Stretch 7.5

Using applications, configuring, problems
BeeJay

Wireless adapter issue in Dpup Stretch 7.5

#1 Post by BeeJay »

If I don't manually disconnect the wireless network on my Thinkpad Edge prior to shutting Stretch down then the wireless network will not be available on next boot and it takes a router reboot to fix it. Stretch is a frugal install on a flash drive. Win 10 on the HDD behaves normally so looks like a driver problem. I would have no idea how to go about fixing that.

mikeslr

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Check to make certain that you have the latest applications relating to Wifi per this post, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876. If, after any required upgrades, the problem persists, post to the above thread. If he has the time, rerwin endeavors to overcome any problems in the applications he maintains.

BeeJay

#3 Post by BeeJay »

Thanks. I've only ever used Puppy for point and click operations so have no idea at all how to follow your suggestion. I did install the latest version of Dpup Stretch so no idea really what else I should do

perdido

#4 Post by perdido »

Which application are you using to get the connection that does not persist?

Frisbee and Barry's simple network setup both connect on a reboot for me automatically once setup.

There are multiple programs available for a reason ;)

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Sorry, but I may have steered you in the wrong direction. Booted into dpup-stretch and entered "frisbee --version" in a terminal. That showed that frisbee 1.4.9 is builtin. That's the latest version, published 11/19/2018. Unfortunately, the other 'wifi connectors' don't respond to the " --version" argument, nor are their versions otherwise identified. But I would assume that since dpup uses the last version of frisbee other recent wifi components were also built-into dpup-stretch. The only updates since then has been versions of Simple Network Setup, now at 2.2.1 as of February 25, 2019. I don't think updating will help. But, it can't hurt. The new version is available from the link in my prior post.

To install a pet, merely download it with your web-browser, and Left-Click it. Your Puppy will do the rest. Except -- as you have a Frugal Install-- in order to preserve the change you have to Save it to your SaveFile/Folder. That is, if you have a Save Icon on the desktop, Left-Click it. If not, when you shut-down/reboot, it will either Save automatically or present you with a GUI asking whether you want to Save or Not.

BeeJay

#6 Post by BeeJay »

Thanks for the very clear guidance. Apologies for delay but I'm not getting notified that there are new posts. Anyway I will now do as you say.

BeeJay

#7 Post by BeeJay »

That hasn't changed anything and I have removed Dpup Stretch. I previously had Slacko 5.7 on this system and had no wireless connection issues. Wasn't able to use an up to date browser though.

mikeslr

#8 Post by mikeslr »

BeeJay wrote:That hasn't changed anything and I have removed Dpup Stretch. I previously had Slacko 5.7 on this system and had no wireless connection issues. Wasn't able to use an up to date browser though.
All the stars must align: The operating system must be able to make use of your computer's hardware, and the applications must run under that operating system.

Since your computer and Slacko 5.7 worked well together, you might want to try either Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 5.7.1 woof-CE, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#976794 or my Slacko 5.7.2 Community Edition, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93#1018293. Slacko 5.7 was woof-built using Slackware 14.0 binaries. That distro dates to about 2014. Sailor Enceladus woof-built a new version using those binaries and there associated drivers. I remastered Sailor Enceladus' creation to include (among other things) the necessary libraries to support such modern web-browsers as fredx181's firefox quantum portable and Mike Walsh's Palemoon and Seamonkey portables OOTB. Palemoon is a fork of firefox. Both it and Seamonkey portable work very well.

Those web-browsers, and other firefox clones, will also work on Sailor's original; but you would have to install the additional library pets fredx181 discussed here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 010#978010. All the mentioned browsers can be downloaded from the Browsers and Internet Section. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53. Except for fredx181's latest firefox quantum*, they are packaged as tar.gz files. To use them after downloading, Right-Click the file and select UExtract from the popup menu. An "Extracted" folder will be created within which is another (without the ending 'extracted') that can be moved anywhere, but commonly to /opt or /mnt/home. [IIRC, more details about relocating these folders will be found on the Slacko 5.7.2CE thread. If not, don't hesitate to ask].

Other alternatives are recent Puppies based on Slackware 14.0 thru 14.2 that you'll find under either the Projects or the Derivative's Section. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=20

* See, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 19#1025219. I haven't had a reason to try it, yet. But I think in order to run under Slacko 5.7 (any Slackware 14.0 based Puppy) you'll also have to install Mike Walsh's libgtk-3 pet, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 764#989764. Don't let the designation "precise" deter you. It works fine in Slackos.

BeeJay

#9 Post by BeeJay »

mikeslr that is one heck of a post and I can't thank you enough for it! I'm a lazy sod at heart but posts such as that give me the incentive I need to try again to make a bit of progress with Linux. Windoz is the enemy - I know it like a second language and it's too easy to just fall back on it when I don't know how in Linux.

I will be trying your Slacko 5.7.2 btw and I'll let you know how it goes.

BeeJay

#10 Post by BeeJay »

I will be trying your Slacko 5.7.2 btw and I'll let you know how it goes.
X won't start. Tried all the xorgwizard options but X drops out every time.

Burn_IT

#11 Post by Burn_IT »

Have you tried playing around with LEASE TIME in your router setup??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

BeeJay

#12 Post by BeeJay »

Nope, haven't touched it. Other bootable software on the flash drive and Win 10 on the hdd are all working normally.

BeeJay

#13 Post by BeeJay »

Took the easy option and installed Slacko 6.3.2 32bit. Everything seems just fine atm.

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

As my "PING" has timed out, I'll inquire on the sidelines..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Beejay, is your wifi adapter problem solved and are you now getting email notifications? You had them turned off in your profile.

BeeJay

#16 Post by BeeJay »

Burn_IT wrote:Have you tried playing around with LEASE TIME in your router setup??
I didn't appreciate the significance of this until today, but having had so much difficulty rebooting and not getting reconnected I've just changed the router lease time option from 1 week to two minutes. That has cured the reboot issue and I just need a bit of time now to understand what other effects there may be. Thank you.

BeeJay

#17 Post by BeeJay »

Beejay, is your wifi adapter problem solved and are you now getting email notifications? You had them turned off in your profile.
Yes, adapter sorted thank you but still no notifications. Profile setting is correct.