VP9 codec not needed for streaming from youtube

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

VP9 codec not needed for streaming from youtube

#1 Post by nic007 »

I'm a bit confused but fairly certain that one does not need the VP9 codec (.webm) as part of your avcodec pack to be able to stream and play VP9 video. This ability seems to be built in when you use a fairly new browser. I've checked this on both my windows xp system and puppy. I have very old codecs on my xp machine and yet I can stream from youtube no problem with a new seamonkey browser. In puppy I've disabled libavcodec and was still able to watch youtube streams. Also, you can watch VP9 video offline by running it via the browser without any other installed codec packs. Interesting.

s243a

Re: VP9 codec not needed for streaming from youtube

#2 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:I'm a bit confused but fairly certain that one does not need the VP9 codec (.webm) as part of your avcodec pack to be able to stream and play VP9 video. This ability seems to be built in when you use a fairly new browser. I've checked this on both my windows xp system and puppy. I have very old codecs on my xp machine and yet I can stream from youtube no problem with a new seamonkey browser. In puppy I've disabled libavcodec and was still able to watch youtube streams. Also, you can watch VP9 video offline by running it via the browser without any other installed codec packs. Interesting.
Interesting :). Do you know if this applies to both firefox and palemoon?

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

I've checked with Palemoon and Seamonkey. Can't see why FF would be any different.

norgo

#4 Post by norgo »

@nic007 @s243a

whether you will need installation of libvpx or not
is depending how firefox, seamonkey or palemoon has been compiled.

type about:buildconfig in browser address-bar
have a look at section configure options

is there an entry --with-system-libvpx you will need installation of libvpx at your system
otherwise browser contains and use internal libvpx

There doesn't exist a general statement.
Attachments
libvpx.jpg
configure option
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 71 times